Two armed robberies in St. John’s

RNC

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating two armed robberies overnight in St. John's.

Around 11:17 p.m. Wednesday, officers responded to an armed robbery at a downtown gas bar where the suspect fled the scene.

However a short time later, RNC officers arrested the suspect in an abandoned building on Henry Street. He was held in custody for court appearance this morning

Around 2:20 a.m., another armed robbery occurred at a gas bar on Torbay Road in St. John's.

The suspects, believed to be two males, fled on foot. An extensive search of the area was conducted but police were unable to locate the suspects.

A knife was located at the scene. Cash and a quantity of other store items were taken in the robbery. There were no Injuries. The investigation is ongoing.

Geographic location: St. John's, Henry Street, Torbay Road

Comments

Comments

• Tim Jamison
    September 12, 2013 - 17:20

Welcome to gun control paradise. I won't even go out for a drink around here anymore because I'm not an MMA fighter. I wait til I get to Florida, then I socialise. I feel safe there. Fights are extremely rare there (I've seen one out of about 8 monthes total combined vacation time) and, instead of gathering and rubbernecking, everyone leaves when a fight breaks out. No one wants to get shot and the threat of bullets calms society down vastly. Now, their ghettos are bad, but it's easy enough to stay out of those. Can't say that about here though because this is becoming one vast ghetto with no end

• bob
    September 12, 2013 - 11:53

This wouldn't be happening so much if cocaine was cheaper.

• steveie ray
    September 12, 2013 - 11:23

hey tish ...did they say 2 RNC officers did the robberies.....you can have the streets littered with police ....not going to stop people from commiting crimes..

• sparky
    September 12, 2013 - 11:06

I think the RNC are doing Great Work in our city BUT; with drunk drives & other work its hard to be everywhere at once! I think a lot of those armed robberies are put-together between the workers & the so-called robbers.

• Newfee
    September 12, 2013 - 08:37

In all fairness, I think the RNC are doing their best to deal with these situations . Im sure we only hear SOME of the things going on that are on the news and what not , so really it isn't fair for you to ask what they are going to do about this , they are busy and they are WELL educated on this type of crime but , it has to be hard trying to keep up with so much going on at the same time . Maybe YOU could do a better job if you joined the RNC?

• Tish
    September 12, 2013 - 07:54

I agree - where are the police? There are more and more armed robberies taking place, why are we not seeing more of a police presence.

• craig
      September 12, 2013 - 11:57

The RNC are all tied up doing "security" for Republic of Doyle shoots around town

• Newf
    September 12, 2013 - 07:01

Every morning the news is the same..another violent crime (or two). It is the new norm. What exactly are the police doing about this? Mabe they should bring in some outside help that are used to dealing with this kind of crime.