Man convinced marijuana oil will cure his cancer

Barb
Barb Sweet

A St. John’s man who has Stage 4 prostate cancer is putting his faith in the controversial marijuana oil treatment.

Paul Morrissey wants to be able to take marijuana oil (left) as a cure for cancer. — Photo by
Barb Sweet/The Telegram

Paul Morrissey has put off medical treatments for about a year as he tries frantically to source the oil, which he says he was sold on after watching a video by Rick Simpson of Maccan, N.S., called “Run from the Cure.”

The cancer is spreading to his back and lymph nodes, but Morrissey said that’s because he could only source a small amount of the oil in Toronto and hasn’t obtained enough to cure the disease.

“I put off treatment for a year and knew it would get worse if I didn’t get the oil,” said Morrissey, who was willing to take the chance.

“This cancer battle, to me, is a battle of faith.”

He said he was also admitted to hospital in July with renal failure and his next step is to try to go to British Columbia to source some oil.

In the video, Simpson claims the marijuana oil is nature’s miracle and that he gave it away to about 5,000 people for free until running into legal barriers.

Simpson asserts medical, legal and political authorities and the pharmaceutical industry are ignoring the cancer epidemic and the potential of the oil.

Morrissey, on his way to Toronto in December, stopped off in Maccan and said he spent five hours with Simpson and some others featured in the video, which suggests marijuana oil as a fix not only for cancer but various types of pain and a range of diseases such as glaucoma and diabetes. The video also provides instructions for making the oil.

“Four people in that house had cancer,” Morrissey said. “They cured themselves.”

The marijuana oil costs $2,500 to $3,000 an ounce in Toronto, Morrissey said.

He said he thinks he could cure himself at half an ounce a week in 30 days, but couldn’t get enough.

The small bit he did take lowered his prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood levels slightly, Morrissey said, adding his pain level went down a few notches.

Morrissey said it’s a travesty of justice that Simpson is unable to distribute the marijuana oil legally and it’s not available in this province as a medicine.

He said the marijuana sourced locally is not high grade enough for the oil, which is high in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

“It’s impossible to get locally,” Morrissey said. “No one seems to know how it has to be made.”

The oil is taken orally and doesn’t produce a high, Morrissey insists. Some claim rubbing it on skin cancer lesions as a cure.

Morrissey acknowledges the skepticism surrounding the oil’s benefits. He said reaction from his doctor, friends and relatives has been typical — that he’s fallen for a foolish scam.

“They think it’s snake oil,” he said.

But Morrissey said if Simpson were allowed to produce the oil and doctors supervise a trial with a group of volunteers, he’s convinced it would be proven within months.

“It will not fail,” Morrissey said. “I would put my life on it.”

The RCMP, meanwhile, reaffirmed to The Telegram that all cannabis or marijuana products and their derivatives are illegal and fall under Schedule II of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

bsweet@thetelegram.com

Organizations: PSA, RCMP

Geographic location: Toronto, Maccan, British Columbia

Comments

Comments

• stacy
    December 30, 2013 - 02:15

Hi There, I have a close friend who has bone cancer and came across THC Oil as a possible solution. I live in Holland so I’m able to make it. I use 25 grams of totally natural Marijuana (no pesticides, chemicals) and 100% alcohol and distill these together. I have him use an eye dropper, and have set a plan for 1 drop a day (on the tongue) and slowly increasing to 3 drops by the end of the month. It has only been a few weeks, but the last checkup showed cancer spread in the bones hasn’t progressed. He also feels a bit better. I am not saying this works, but that I am monitoring it and will see. I also see you can’t buy this, which is crazy, so contact me (mikereaganmedicalservices@live.com) . Note: It does not make you high, so there is no point buying it for that reason.

• Drink Mary Jane's
    December 11, 2013 - 14:49

The only thing evil about cannabis is the parasitic, murderous assholes who prohibit it ... an insult to GOD. ☮

• peter g
    November 16, 2013 - 18:33

1,000 of ppl have already cured them selves of cancers and many other illnesses by digesting cannabis oil. i am diabetes free 2 years now.

• Estelle
    November 15, 2013 - 22:46

I am so happy this is finally reaching the public trough media.Rick Simpson did not invent hemp oil,he rediscovered it....it had been used way before him....when you look at history and go back in time,there were times when medicine men would go from village to village selling the virtue of their cure all oil...maybe they did not just sell snake oil...maybe the too used hemp oil ....I think Mr. Simpson is a modern medicine man!! CANNABIS IS A CURE ALL here is the link to Rick Simpson Facebook page where you can find all the proof you need that this does work! Again people CANNABIS CURES EVERYTHING. https://www.facebook.com/lists/10152043805246515

• Gerry
    October 24, 2013 - 11:25

I had emergency surgery Aug 15 2012 and there was a massive tumor on my colon that was removed along with lymph nodes. Surgeon said cancer had spread. In spite of that they marched me to the Cancer Clinic and started to discuss Chemo and radiation as a "follow-up." Standard protocol they said. BULLSHIT said I! There will be no radiating my body or poisoning it more with Chemo.Cancer Clinic did not argue and outlined follow-ups every 3 mos for a year which entailed a CT Scan and blood work. I sourced the material as outlined by Rick Simpson and produced the RSO. Following all instructions I started to ingest it twice a day, a tiny amt each time. Yesterday I completed my 4th follow-up at the Cancer Clinic and they stated that there does NOT seem to be anything showing up that would indicate CANCER. Today I extracted my second batch of RSO - again from medicinal marijuana from a reputable grower- and I will now ingest a tiny amt every day as a preventative measure. To ANYONE suffering now from cancer I suggest you do the same. We have NOTHING to lose and everything to gain.

• Zaour
      February 18, 2014 - 12:21

Dear Gerry, My mom (in London) was diagnosed with colon cancer - i am desperate to find oil or at least the bud (correct Indica strain) but simply dont know where to go.. please can you refer me to your supplier - would be gratful for the rest of my life - my email: zaur4444@yahoo.com thank you!!!

• monicafloria
    October 05, 2013 - 04:04

Hello am Mrs Monica Floria am so grateful for Dr. Reginald for saving my life with his cannabis oil and medical service. I give thanks to Almighty God for having the opportunity to know about this wonderful remedy that I was capable of Dr.Reginald to buy here in the United State and the was delivered to me within 48 hours after the order was done by me. I am very happy to tell you everything'm so glad I'm not a cancer patient more. Thank you so much Dr. Reginald for your endless support of my life. For all those who have problem with cancer, they should not hesitate more, contact Dr.Reginald to take care of your problem and see that it solved for life. Contact : medicalcure@live.com my advise to cancer patients, you all know how deadly cancer and the war against cancer is so difficult to fight, but the era of hemp oil that I was able to obtain Dr.. Reginald and his fellow colleague Rick Simpson, I can say that my cancer is gone and total encounter, a new life with my family and my four beautiful children. So save your life and your family with Rick Simpson oil directly from Dr.. Reginald contact medicalcure@live.com, he will always be here to continue saving lives. Him that is the promise that the future holds for the strong believer of hemp oil. I want the whole would be to know that cannabis oil is a miracle and it has come to stay. Thanks

• AaronH
    October 04, 2013 - 03:12

This country needs to get its priorities straight and quit prying into people's personal lives. I personally have had to go through many hoops just so I could get illegal fresh cows milk.

• Ed Santos
    September 30, 2013 - 00:49

I know you can buy Rick Simpson Oil at some Vancouver Medical Marijuana Dispenseries. Doctors prescription will be needed.

• lmktacwa
    September 28, 2013 - 17:05

I think that Barb Sweet owes us some follow up reporting on this to it's conclusion. Good or bad. I am convinced that the oil can and does work. But I'm willing to sit back and let this man have his chance at it. What does it hurt?

• Kieran
    September 28, 2013 - 00:09

If they legalised cannabis for medical use then big pharmaceutical companies would go bust in a week,because the trillions of dollars they receive each year for so called research,the trillions they make off dodgy drugs would be gone becuae people would be getting cured with cancer.Do some research,this stuff works,one independent study after another proves it works.This,plus many other reasons is why it is kept illegal(it can be used as fuel,food,building materials,textiles)which would put an end to us needing to keep chopping down trees,terminate our dependence on oil and save many peoples lives.But there is to much profit elsewhere.Tommy Chong is alive today thanks to the oil,combined with a healthy diet he treated his prostate cancer.Do some research,all the info is out there with it and

• Randa Ahmed
    September 27, 2013 - 23:55

Maybe if it was legal we can grow it and get cured!!! Stupid Government

• MK
    September 15, 2013 - 23:32

You are misinformed. Cannabis Oil (a very concentrated extract of cannabinoids) is far from "bunk". Anyone who's informed on this subject knows there are numerous scientific papers published illustrating these cannabinoids (such as THC and CBD) having the ability to cause Apoptosis (cancer cell death) as well as having antiangiogenic and antiproliferative effects on cancerous cells. These Cannabis compounds also treat many neurological diseases with far better success than conventional drugs (This was reported on by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN in his recent documentary called WEED. I encourage you and others to watch this as doctors are realizing the many medicinal benefits of this amazing plant). This is also why Cannabis Oil works so well on brain tumors such as Glioblastoma which is a very aggressive tumor. The fact that there is scientific proof that this plant (cannabis and it's compounds) can shrink Glioblastoma brain tumors is enough for any serious researcher to take notice!

• ElSaltador
      September 28, 2013 - 11:11

After 75 years of lies about the plant ... THE REPORT. CANNABIS: THE FACTS, HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE LAW ISBN 9781902848204. Denial of cannabis by Prohibition ‘law’ premeditatedly inflicts suffering, blindness, and, in many instances, death. Those who maintain any use of life-saving cannabis to be "illegal" should be regarded and treated as perpetrators of the gravest of crimes, and deemed unfit to hold any public office in a democratic society. The Report collates Empirical Evidence and the Findings of Fact of official clinical studies which exonerate cannabis and vindicate all cultivation, trade, possession and use. The Report establishes massive ulterior money-motive and prejury behind prohibition; and indicts government. The Report presents irrefutable Legal Grounds for Restoration: Relegalisation, Amnesty & Restitution.

• jennie de los angeles
    September 15, 2013 - 22:54

I have never tried marijuana but I think we should at least try it to see if the oil indeed has a cure for what ails some people, what harm can it do if it is being done legally to see if there is some medinecinal value.......

• bob
    September 15, 2013 - 21:43

The government wants to keep people sick. They make so much off of the treatments and medicine....why would they want to do anything...

• David
      March 07, 2014 - 15:59

Canada Govt Security Old Age 65 changed to 68. Why? Because have no enough money spends. That is why govt want people to dies to save the cost. Same to virus magnet flu shot. Advertisement is fool to people.

• Jill Cray
    September 15, 2013 - 15:12

If there is any hope what so ever that this man is onto something, this should be tried on him as a test subject. the governments spend millions of dollars treating and prolonging the inevitable. This man who is now retired, was a successful business man in the day and very smart. Its worth a try. Please get this man the oil to test on him.. It could save his life. If there was an animal today suffering with an illness everybody would be scrambling to help it. What ever happened to humanity..... Good Luck Paul I hope someone helps you before its too late.....

• Chilli
    September 15, 2013 - 04:20

why the hell is this guy trying to source it, as Rick says ... don't trust no one !!! Make your own and be sure it's proper !! All instructions are on line how to produce your oils !!

• Archie
    September 15, 2013 - 00:36

Go Paul! I agree 100% with him, having seen the devastating after effects of chemo and radiation "therapy", he's definitely got a better chance with cannabis oil. For sure a better quality of life in what may be his final hours. Leave the guy alone, at worst he might even just be able to have a few laughs before he goes (more than what his doctors can offer at any price)

• dee
    September 14, 2013 - 22:52

I believe in your cure also hense it is no coincidence that the plant is illegal. There is too much of a financial loss in finding the cure for cancer. My heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best and I hope you get your cure. Good luck my friend.

• Anon
    September 14, 2013 - 15:34

it's shameful that so many people are so quick to dismiss this man as a loon when there are countless cases of cannabis oil curing cancer. unless it's just a coincidence and it all went away on it's own, which would explain why the supreme court didn't allow testimony from the witnesses who had obtained canna-oil from Rick Simpson and cured their cancer with it but instead shot the argument down by disallowing it. It's shameful. Here's a man who is terminal and will in all likelihood die and he's not even allowed to try something that is known to work in several cases. More medical research needs to be done, but to completely disregard it is as a hack-scam is simply absurd. Cannabis is the world's oldest medicine. Queen Victoria used it for her cramps, thomas jefferson smoked it for a laugh, Harrison Ford used it to build his Model-T stronger and cheaper than he would had he used steel, but yet we're conditioned to believe that it's somehow a harmful, dangerous, addictive and destructive plant when no one's even died from it? What then of the little Colorado girl who recently appeared in the news and had her seizures (hundreds a month) reduced to just two or three a month after using cannabis bred to be high in CBD (Canabbidol)? It's insane. I hope this man gets his desired treatment and I hope it works so people can haul their heads out of the sand and end the ban on cannabis. It's silly, it doesn't work and it's anti-democratic. Furthermore, is a man's healthcare no one's business but their own? Why then does society get to dictate what he is and isn't allowed to treat himself with. Does his cannabis oil treatment disturb any peace? Does it harm anyone? Does it even harm himself? The answer to all of these things are no. Anyone who claims marijuana is harmful is either ignorant or willfully misinformed. Statistically, the most dangerous drugs are almost always legal anyway. Absurd. Shame on the canadian government for continuing prohibition, shame on the canadian cancer society for ignoring the epidemic of cancer and choosing to not call for scientific research into a potentially low-cost, highly successful, and patient-friendly cure, shame on those who know nothing about it, but continue to bash those who do, and support legalization and medical research. Shame on the government of Newfoundland and Labrador for not allowing cannabis oil for medical purposes, and shame on pharmaceutical industry and their corporate cronies who have been deliberately and consciously fighting and lobbying against medical cannabis. What would happen to ibuprofen and acetaminophen sales if people were legally allowed to grow their own replacement? We call this a free country, do we not? A country can not be free if it's citizens aren't allowed to PEACEFULLY do whatever they want.

• Anon
    September 14, 2013 - 15:33

• saelcove
    September 14, 2013 - 10:47

to many false positives, doctors make mistakes

• Loco
    September 14, 2013 - 09:42

Here is the straight dope: the medical marijuna argument is bunk.

• Marty
      September 14, 2013 - 12:22

I am stomach cancer patient who use cannabis. It's not a joke!

• Loca
      September 15, 2013 - 13:27

Really?? So patented drugs like Sativex or Bedrocan are just snake oil? :)

• peanutbutter
      September 28, 2013 - 08:15

I am a bladder cancer patient using this extract against my own cancer. Cannabis cures cancer .. go bunk that.

• ool
      October 10, 2013 - 04:20

Hush your gums and I bet you work for zeneca bunk or not it should be legalised period not just oil but everything