Comments

Comments

• Diana
    October 01, 2013 - 10:03

"We going to hold the organizer responsible for any damage or anything that’s out of the ordinary with regards to this event.” They damn better do that!! The numerous people who ran through the bog just to get some mud on them RUINED the bog. It is a disater & looked like it has been bombed!! I went out later that week for a walk to look at it and of the few pitcher plants that I could find they were all dead from being walked on.

• Watching from afar
    September 27, 2013 - 10:32

If the police or lawyers won't help there is a simple solution. Small Claims Court. Small claims can go up to $25k and many people can be a part of the same claim (not sure if there is an upper limit). So if you can organize enough people (200-300) and hire a paralegal to help coordinate then it will only cost a few dollars per person. Stop complaining and do something about it!

• Matt
    September 24, 2013 - 14:17

So, you mean to tell me, if I market that I'm holding a profit-for dance with a small amount of the money going to a charity, make a pile of promises about the things that will be in place, and then when the time comes and there's nothing there that I had promised, I can legally state: " sorry those aspects of tonight fell through, however we do have a few things, which clearly are subpar to your expectations, but regardless here they are". You mean to tell me; that's perfectly legal?

• Matt
    September 24, 2013 - 14:16

• molly
    September 24, 2013 - 13:57

I did not participate in mud mortal but I did do the notsincemoses run in novascotia this year perhaps they could learn from these people we paid 50.00 which gave us shuttle service for 10k to and from water along the way water and bananas when you finished and then we all received t-shirts our tags had timing tags then they served us hotdogsfries and soup they even had storage for everyones knapsacks after doing that and if I had done the mud mortal I would be pretty upset I don't understand what the problem is how hard can it be to comitt to what you say

• Kes
    September 24, 2013 - 12:37

Hedderson: " I’ve had an assessment done today, and thank heavens there’s no serious damage." Who did your assessment? The organizer? Did you see the path of destruction through all the marsh/bog. That will take years for it to repair itself. A few people crossing through it would have little detrimental impact, but 5000+? I think YOU, Hedderson, should go walk it and you will see for yourself! Government didn't care at the time they granted permission to use the park. Now they are pretending to. Typical.

• Disgusted
    September 24, 2013 - 10:26

I myself did not run mud immortal(thank god) due to the fact I found rainbow run so disorganized. Even though I wasn't involved in this race it disgusts me to think he may get away with this. If that's the case when we are hard up for a buck, why don't we create a fake event and charge a fortune to make a quick fortune. I guess cause most of us have morals, that's why. Something has to be done. I now question the money raised for rainbow run as well:(????

• Kels
    September 24, 2013 - 10:20

I'm not sure how he can say the damage is not serious... Bog & Marsh take years to fix themselves after that much trauma. The whole day sucked... I actually had some optimism that the course would be okay despite the traffic snarl, then the long wait to "register." By register I mean get my random number and cheap T shirt.

• Jonas
    September 24, 2013 - 09:53

Brett: 1. Post a supported list online outlining the expenses for the function. 2. Charity the remainder to the society and provide a tax receipt for each individual who participated 3. Issue a public statement begging for forgiveness. Based on the numbers you had registered you knew well in advance that you never had the resources to pull it off. 4. Always keep 'Mud Immortal' on your resume.

• Ryan
    September 24, 2013 - 09:49

I have no sympathy for the people who participated in this mud immortal. If you were stupid enough to waste money to play in the mud. Well I guess there's a sucker/idiot born every minute. Obvisiouly Ches crosbie thinks the same thing if he wants no part of a lawsuit. Considering the fact they signed waivers, leaves them with no libaliby to sue.

• Grow Up!!!
    September 24, 2013 - 09:41

Now it's the gonvernments fault???? This has very little to do with the government. This debacle of a "SH*T SHOW" has one person and one person alone to blame for the horrible experience people had. This person is Jonathen Brett. He has yet to explain no band, no water, no food, not enough volounteers etc.. He has taken very little resposibility for this mess. He is quick to blame everyone else but himself. A LARGE donation to the Alzheimer's society from Mud Immortal is too easy. Then he gets the tax write off and looks like the good guy. Every single person who paid their fees should get a tax receipt in their name. afterall, we are the ones who were doing this for charity. That is the honourable thing to do Mr. Brett. He speaks about "future events" and the "first mud immortals". I could be wrong but I am pretty sure this will be his first and last mud immortals being organized by this man.

• SMD
    September 24, 2013 - 09:11

"There had been at least two more obstacles planned, he said, but they had been destroyed by moose overnight." Now THAT is too funny!!!

• Ryan
    September 24, 2013 - 08:59

The event wasn't as promised, but the mob mentality of overreaction is sickening.

• Donnie
    September 24, 2013 - 08:59

I know I'd be p*ssed too, but is everything that goes wrong now a "Class Action Lawsuit". I mean seriously, give it a break people. OMG the media. Build a bridge, get over it.

• Ann
    September 24, 2013 - 08:23

Lawyers..ok people everyone knows you want money. Stop give up. Things happen, get over it.

• Steve
    September 24, 2013 - 07:51

As a participant I don't feel an apology is enough. We were all let down from the very beginning, and while the organizer/promoter can try to blame everyone else for falling down on the job, a lot of things didn't seem like they had a plan in the first place, much less have a contingency plan. We felt like complete suckers, for spending $60 to upwards of $90 for an entertaining event. Are we complaining too much? Should we have paid that much money for a trot in the bog? All the negative comments seem to think we want to be pampered while getting dirty, but it's much more than just being disappointed about what happened. Someone needs to be liable for the dangerous shoddy obstacles no-one should have ever used, the few participants who suffered injuries as well as the families and friends who were spectators, who all felt let down by someone offering no real answers, but flimsy excuses. This event was FOR PROFIT, with only some proceeds for non-existent services going towards the charity. I believe everyone who participated or watched the event feels the charity was let down, whether they eventually receive a donation or not. Personally I would rather have my money back and donate it myself than the organizer attempting to 'make good' with one of the broken promises, and get a big tax write-off in the process. The Alzheimer's society will get another donation from me as they're the ones who should've had the best success from all this.

• Harvey
    September 24, 2013 - 07:48

Utter fraud !! Regardless of what Hedderson says , gov't has to be held accountable as well. Oops...accountability in gov't ???

• Don II
    September 24, 2013 - 07:44

It appears that Minister Hedderson is trying to distance himself and his Department from this debacle. What due diligence did the Minister require of his officials? What legal liability for injuries and financial loss could attach to the Government? What written agreements were in place between the organizer of the event and the Department of Environment and Conservation which permitted the use of the Butter Pot Park? Will these documents be released unedited by Minister Hedderson for public review? It appears that this is not the first time that Minister Hedderson has been influenced by a promoter with a plan that involved propaganda opportunities for the Government! The problem is that these so called great ideas that so easily impress the Government always backfire in the end!

• Barney