Comments

Comments

• Tim Jamison
    September 29, 2013 - 13:41

The affirmative action programs suggested in this article are disgusting and vile. Our democracy is a meritocracy and if you don't have the merit, the people tell you to leave. Weaselling your way in in some other way is a subversion of our right of choice and it can't be tolerated. Why would we pay our taxpayer dollars to get a clearly less-qualified candidate who would have lost without those dollars? It makes no sense, when you're thinking with your brain and not your hormones

• McLovin
    September 27, 2013 - 13:14

I don't mean to be sexist or rude. I respect women and think there should be equal opportunities in any workplace. However, I don't think things are imbalanced in today's society as what is being eluded to in this article. In St. John's during the last election, out of 30 candidates only 4 were women. I don't see how anything can or should be done about this. At the end of the day, the onus is still out there for women to take the initiative and get involved and enter the race. To say that it is easier for a male to enter an election race is just plain ludicrous. A new male candidate faces the same obstacles as a new female candidate. They still have to learn the ropes and are still facing an uphill battle against incumbents. I'm sorry but the commentary in this article seems like sour grapes to me.The sad truth is that these ladies have to admit that they just didn't run a good enough campaign to get elected and the same thing can be said about all the men out there who were not successful in their campaigns. I think the biggest reason for this is that all the candidate's platforms were too similar. Given the choice of two candidates who have similar platforms, I will vote for the incumbent every time. Any new candidate has to offer something different

• Guest
    September 27, 2013 - 10:00

I agree that gender equality is a positive component in any aspect of society, both private or public. Lunch and learns, along with mentoring programs are a great way to encourage and foster would-be female candidates. However to form a committee aimed at raising funds that only female candidates can avail of goes against the exact principle trying to be overcome - gender equality. Would it be viewed in a similar negative context if the council was all female? I for one didn't vote on gender and I strongly believe the majority of voters didn't either. I voted for who I felt was best suited to the job, be it male/female/transgendered/etc....

• Gerard Neil
    September 27, 2013 - 09:24

We should evolve a system wherein if a sitting councillor vies for a seat (Like O'leary going for Mayor), then if that person gets X % of the vote, they get to keep their old seat. We sort of just punished her for trying to do better, and ourselves by throwing her out of the loop. IT's not a very rewarding system for change... oh right, I forgot, this is Newfoundland. We won't be changing any time soon. Meanwhile everyone is excited about the "new oil find" which isn't very much oil, and we already knew it was there - but the fallout from those lies will keep rents high and house prices out of line and eventually our foolish little house of cards will come tumbling down.

• guest
      September 27, 2013 - 10:33

There are thousands of municipalities and governments who hold elections - the rules are pretty straightforward. You pick the seat you want to run for and go for it.

• James Williams
      September 27, 2013 - 17:05

Really now! REALLY!!! Absolutely not, an individual puts him or her self up for a better position on council, and ends up loosing the election under no circumstances be allowed to simply go back to their old position. Your comments are ripe of NDP partisan crap. You are just upset that the heritage wing nut tree hugging hippie lost and now your only hope of putting heritage over development is Dave Lane.

• Steve
    September 27, 2013 - 07:39

The biggest problem is that all of the incumbets were male. There is a major incumbent advantage, in that the electorate has gotten 4, 8 or 12 years to know who an incumbent is. For those who dont' even follow municipal politics, when they get their mail in ballot kits, there are usually only a few names that they even recognize, and those are the ones getting the votes. Something needs to be done to level the playing field for non-incumbents, both male and female. If we do this, I think the task of being a new candidate will not be as daunting, and we will get more women and young people running.