Comments

Comments

• Bryan Green
    October 21, 2013 - 00:31

I am a trucker and about 2:00 am one cold, rainy, windy morning around 1990, at the Whitbourne intersection, I saw a blonde lady in a leather jacket, hitchhiking. She looked very wet and cold so I stopped and picked her up. It turned out to be Trixie. Needless to say, the trip from there to Donovan's Industrial Park was quite entertaining. She wavered back and forth between a sullen silence and rants about people she assumed that I knew. Occasionally, she would hit a period of lucidity and would engage me in very delightful conversation. She never did hurl any profanities in my direction but she did thank me profusely for the ride several times. I moved to Ontario in 2000 but in the ten years between, I occasionally ran into Trixie on the streets of St. John's. I don't know if she remembered the rainy night but she always smiled and waved when she saw me. I like meeting people and usually find something interesting in everyone I meet...Trixie is definitely near the top of this list. May she rest in peace.

• sid
    October 19, 2013 - 10:36

Marilyn spent most of her time just around the corner from our house. I often felt it strange to turn that corner and not see her. She always spoke and if someone had a few coins to share she always responded with thanks. She did smile each time our dog was with me and would speak to him gently. She will be missed.

• Rest in Peace
    October 18, 2013 - 21:25

Rest in peace young doll. You were cared about more than you would ever would have realized. Now you are with God and the Angels.

• Peggy Mcgrade
    October 18, 2013 - 19:05

Rest in peace dear lady you will be missed

• Karen
    October 18, 2013 - 18:23

God bless her, I hope someday a book about this lady is written. I so enjoy reading all the comments on facebook in the last two day..Rest in peace Marilyn!

• seanoairborne
    October 18, 2013 - 16:45

She was the "Silly Willie"of her day!I had cause to meet her on George St. while on a visit to the rock back in 2001.Me and my significant other got a kick out of her and I slipped her a ten and addressed her as Maam the whole time we spoke.She really liked that and told us so.She never had all her oars in the water but she was a person that made our day ,and she did cuss like a Paratrooper!In fact that's what I liked about her.Even though she probably didn't realize it and rambled a lot she was totally unpretentious."There but for the Grace of God go I" is all I could think of while conversing with her.RIP "Trixie,Marilyn or Hazel" wherever you are!

• wanda smiyh
    October 18, 2013 - 16:26

had a pleasure to read about Marilyn She was my sister in law Inow live in Kitchener on. Im so proud to be a newfie, here in on. they would probally say another one of the system . humanity is well and alive. GOD BLESS ALL US NEWFOUNDLANDERS. RIP Marilyn you were always a star sincerely wanda smith

• elizabeth o'leary penney
    October 18, 2013 - 15:35

On a recent trip back home beginning of Oct 2013 My self , husband, daughter seen Marilyn on Water St. though we didn't know her, feel a great sense of lose. Sure many people from home will never forget her & will miss her terribly from Water St. R.I.P.

• Greg Lecuyer
    October 18, 2013 - 14:08

I hope you are on those Streets paved with gold were you belong

• Anon
    October 18, 2013 - 07:08

she was rude, racist and appalling. I won't miss her.

• cher
    October 18, 2013 - 06:19

Rest in Peace Trixie, you will be missed

• Jeanette Costello
    October 18, 2013 - 05:04

While I did not have the pleasure to meet Trixie she made lots smile she was loved and no otehr place in Canada shows class to remember a lady like Trixie than Newfoundlanders no matter how she lived she was loved and I am proud to say that I am a Newfoundlander for we sure have class God love us