When chips are down, Maple Moose comes out on top

Bonnie
Bonnie Belec

Isle aux Morts man wins national chip-flavour competition

A national potato chip contest has turned out in a Newfoundlander’s flavour. Tyler LeFrense of Isle aux Morts is the grand prize winner of the Lay’s Do Us A Flavour Contest for his Maple Moose submission.

Tyler LeFrense is the winner of the Lay’s Do Us A Flavour contest. He is pictured with Lindsey Gillard (left) and Claire Petch, both of FleishmanHillard Consumer Marketing Communications. — Photo by Chantelle MacIsaac/Gulf News

The musician and actor from Isle aux Morts, on the province’s west coast, was chosen in April as one of four finalists in the contest launched by the company earlier this year with the help of Canadian actor Martin Short.

Since then, people have been voting online for one of the four flavours hailing from British Columbia (Creamy Garlic Caesar from Jill Munro), Alberta (Perogy Platter from Lucas Crawford) and Ontario (Grilled Cheese and Ketchup from Angela Batley).

LeFrense, whose flavour was shortlisted from 600,000 entries, got the news Monday morning that he was $50,000 richer, but he wasn’t allowed to tell anyone until today.

“I don’t think Mom would be able to keep it until tomorrow so I’m going to keep it from her. I kept quiet from April to July (when he found out he was one of four finalists) so I guess I’m sure I can do another day,” said the 29-year-old, who has since been elected the town’s deputy mayor.

“It’s just like Publishers Clearing House here this morning,” LeFrense said with a laugh Monday, referring to the fact he was greeted at his door first thing in the morning with balloons, a company representative and a photographer from the Gulf News in Port aux Basques.

He said the whole experience of being involved in the competition over the past year has been surreal. The contest wrapped up Oct. 16 and LeFrense said he was told to be next to his telephone Monday morning for the results.

“I was expecting the phone call and my dog started barking. I thought it must have been a cat or another dog — 8:30 in the morning, there’s not much on the go where I live at that time of the day. I heard a knock on the door. I was like, ‘Who the heck is this?’ I was expecting a phone call, but the real life thing, it was wow. There’s no words to describe it,” he said excitedly.

Lay’s representative Lindsey Gillard flew from Toronto to give LeFrense the news.

“It was amazing. He did not believe it and he was looking at me like, ‘Is she a ghost? What are you doing on my doorstep?’” she said, laughing.

Moose hunting in the fall of the year and cooking the catch with a hint of maple syrup are the ingredients he said he used to make his chip, and he says that all comes out in the taste.

“To be honest, mine is the most unique flavour of all because the other three have a taste like other chips that have already been made,” he told The Telegram in July when the voting process was announced.

However, when he spoke to The Telegram Monday, LeFrense said he had his doubts he would win because some people had posted negative comments about his chip flavour on social media.

“I had no idea,” he said when asked if he thought he might win. “Social media can be a bad thing when you do something like this. The rants and raves people have had against it, but it turned out in my favour.

“I guess the loyal voters who followed me on Facebook, they’re the ones I appreciate and I can’t thank them enough, and Judy Bennett from Colemans for getting me out to the stores and helping me out. It’s been an experience. I can’t thank people enough” he said.

LeFrense received a $5,000 cheque when his flavour was short-listed, which is on top of the $50,000 grand prize he’ll get, along with one per cent of the sales.

He said he already has plans for some of the money, which includes spoiling his three-year-old daughter.

bbelec@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Publisher Clearing House, Gulf News, The Telegram

Geographic location: Isle aux Morts, British Columbia, Alberta Ontario Port Aux Basques.He Toronto

Comments

Comments

• Colleen
    November 02, 2013 - 17:27

Congrats from Ontario Tyler. I am one canuck who can't wait to try them ! Happy for you :)

• Brenda B
    October 25, 2013 - 11:54

I like Maple Moose chips too. A nice change. If you don't like them, don't eat them. No need to be hostile!

• Josh
    October 23, 2013 - 14:33

Those chips are bloody delicious! I, for one, will be contributing to his 1%.

• Trudy
    October 23, 2013 - 10:25

There's greed and jealousy and I guess they both run hand and hand with the above comment. If you don't like the flavour of chips just say so but don't be an ass just congratulate him for winning.

• RWC
    October 23, 2013 - 08:25

wins chip contest, then wins vote for deputy mayor, next changing cities name to Lays

• Isi Commisso
    October 22, 2013 - 23:13

These chips smell and taste like farts.

• Debi Grace
    October 22, 2013 - 20:52

We are from Sydney N.S.We were invited to a fund raiser in Port Aux Basque NFLD.While there ,we had the pleasure of meeting Tyler.He donated some Maple Moose chips to acution off at the fundraiser,,& I bid on them,& got then for $5.oo.We had our picture taken with him & the chips,before we ate them.They were really good.Told all my friends about them.& voted for Maple Moose every day.We are so happy for Tyler,on winning .We will be still be eating Lays Maple Moose chips for some time to come.,,,Thank You,,Debi & Raymond Grace

• Beverley Cassell-Healey
    October 22, 2013 - 13:46

Excellent I love it when any Newfoundlander wins a contest. This is especially great because it was such a unique idea and so significant for our province. Congrats

• ida and ambrose lawrence
    October 22, 2013 - 13:04

way to go and good look to you happy to hear that you was the best

• Jackie
    October 22, 2013 - 11:02

Congratulations....... My 11 year old son is so happy.... he love love loves the flavor, we took a trip back home to Newfoundland this summer and had all the family eating and enjoying them also...... way to go........

• DRPH
    October 22, 2013 - 10:35

I live in Toronto, and bought so many of those chips when ever I could find them. They are delicious, and Congrats!! I voted for the Chip, it was really the best of the lot.

• Ann Gillies
    October 22, 2013 - 10:05

Congratulations! This is Awesome News and I hope All Newfoundlanders are Happy for You! :)

• legge
    October 22, 2013 - 08:26

way to go tyler. you will deserve this. maple moose is the best and you proved it!!!yyyyaaayyy

• Chris
    October 22, 2013 - 08:25

Those chips are terrible. I for one will not be giving him the satisfaction of making money of buying Lays anymore.

• Don
      October 24, 2013 - 11:34

Thanks for letting everyone know that. You are a true hero.

• Tinker
      October 25, 2013 - 00:26

Those chips are delicious and if you don't like them who cares support a fellow newfoundlander!!!! CHRIS jealous much? great job Tyler

• darlene toope
    October 22, 2013 - 07:08

WTG Congrats Tyler, great job !!!

• Bill