Comments

Comments

• callista macdonald
    October 28, 2013 - 12:00

I am so proud that I was able to rally with my brothers and sisters! First time rallying on a picket line. Myself and a friend of mine made the front Page and are very proud to be a nape union member and work alongside amazing and strong people..Solidarity

• joannie
    October 25, 2013 - 16:01

Reply to Mr. Marshall's "We all have to take steps — employer and employee". Well here's Step One: Eliminate pensions of Members of the HofA. Do this and demonstrate to the public that you are sincere about saving when it comes to pensions.

• Buddy Light
    October 25, 2013 - 14:28

Are those Labatt strikers serious. With an average wage of $81,000 per year, some that sit and watch bottles go by to ensure they aren't chipped, meanwhile a machine does that as well. Guess what, sales are up and so is production.......from guys making less wages. Why would any company want them back? A union is great for negotiating salaries, other than that they are only there to protect workers who want to do "NOTHING" and get paid for it. Keep them out til the cows come home. Perhaps they'll go and apply to the "Whinery" in whitbourne. NAPE - Nonstop Aiding Problem Employees

• pay into my own pension...and yours.
    October 25, 2013 - 12:27

Well Molson must be on strike too because both companies have had contests going all year long. After signing the provincial employees for much less than what the Labatt employees are asking for, I'd think twice about Public sympathy Carol.

• Check
    October 25, 2013 - 09:01

Check the numbers. The govt website says pension deductions are 8.6%. At 40,000/year, that's 3,440. For 35 years, that's 120,400 paid in. Pension is 2% x 40,000 x 35 years = 28,000. They get their money back after only 4.3 years. With most living longer than 60, looks like a pretty good deal.

• Scabby McSnivells
    October 25, 2013 - 07:55

I have no pension plan. I would rather see other works not have one either. I'm not going to fight for my future and I resent anyone who does!

• P F Murphy
    October 25, 2013 - 07:51

Joey didn't put the money in the Pension Plan and spent it to build hospitals, schools, govt bldgs, roads, etc. These all benefited the residents of the province. Now the money with the interest and capital gains it would have earned are not there to fund the pensions which are now coming due when public servants retire. Government has to raise business and personal taxes to pay back this thief of Pension Funds that Joey told us he would pay out of general revenues when they came due.

• Numbers
    October 25, 2013 - 07:49

Do the numbers. How long does it take a pensioner to recover the money paid in? How much is paid out in severance and paid leave? If there's more going out than coming in, it doesn't take long to get in trouble, which is where we are at now.

• Don
    October 25, 2013 - 06:49

Go ahead. Walk out. The government will let stay out for a minimum of one month , then legislate you back to work. Government will donate your salaries to the deficit.