David Folker says he’s telling the truth about girlfriend’s death

Bonnie Belec
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The man accused of murdering the mother of his young son told a jury today he is no longer lying about what happened  to Ann Marie Shirran.

David Folker is charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of Shirran, whose body was found Sept. 3 in a wooded area in Cappahayden, on the Southern Shore.

During direct examination by defence lawyer Scott Hurley, Folker admitted he lied to police and family about Shirran’s disappearance. He originally said she had left him and he knew nothing about her whereabouts.

Folker told the jury today that was all a lie — and that he was afraid he would be blamed for killing her and would lose his son.

In response to Hurley’s questions, Folker said on the night she died, Shirran attacked him. He said he was trying to keep her from hitting him and pushed her.

Folker said she fell in the kitchen and he went to their young son’s room because the baby had been crying. He said as he and Shirran had been fighting he could see that the rail on the child’s crib had fallen down and he was concerned about his safety.

After he calmed the child he said he went to the kitchen and saw Shirran slumped on the floor. He wrapped her body in blankets, taped them up and put the body outside.

Folker said he dropped her at one point as he carried her out to  the family car.

He then got his son and put him in his car seat.

He drove to Cappahayden and dumped Shirran’s body in the woods.

When asked by Crown prosecutor why anyone should believe anything he had to say after all the lies he told, he said, “I know I’m looking at jail time.”

The trial continues Friday.

View live blog tweets from the trial Thursday: CLICK HERE.





(Earlier story)

Folker says afraid to call 911 after realizing Shirran was dead

The man accused of killing Ann Marie Shirran says the night she died, following a fight with him, he was afraid to call 911.

David Folker told the Newfoundland Supreme Court jury trial in St. John’s today that he thought if he called for help he would be blamed for her death.

He said it all started when she began yelling and cursing at him after their son woke up.

Folker said Shirran was angry and the two hadn't been getting along. He said she was swinging at him so he grabbed her by the neck and threw her in the kitchen.

Folker, who is charged with second-degree murder, said he went to take care if his son and when he came back to the kitchen Shirran was non-responsive.

He put her in the tub because he wasn't thinking clearly and wanted to get her out of the kitchen.

Also in his testimony today before the jury Folker said, “It was my action that killed her . . . I didn’t intend to kill her.”

He also said he took a number of cars out for test drives because his lawyers told him that his car could have a tracking device on it.

When asked by his lawyer today if he believed he was innocent of killing Shirran, he replied:

“I believed I was innocent to a certain point.”

The defence is expected to wrap up its questioning of Folker this afternoon, after which time the Crown will begin it’s cross-examination.



  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Joshua
    November 02, 2013 - 18:03

    If he is telling the truth then I am Adolph Hitler and I want to run for the NDP