Comments

Comments

• LeeAnna
    November 06, 2013 - 13:23

I question the statement about the protocol of sending pregnancy related emergencies to the labour and delivery unit. If that is the protocol, it doesn't seem to be the practice. Last fall I attended the ER very early into my pregnancy. Gladly, I was treated with compassion by staff although they admitted that if I was miscarrying, there was little they could do and "nature would take its course." However, at no point was I directed to go up to the L&D unit. The pregnancy was complicated but successful. I believe I was told by my family physician and obstetrician to go to emergency until I was 20 weeks along and to the L&D unit after 20 weeks, the age of viability. I have a lot of empathy for this woman and applaud her courage for coming forward. I wish her peace and healing as she grieves. Eastern Health needs to confirm that their protocol is in fact the practice in the ER and all staff should be sensitive to emotions around pregnancy loss. That "embryo" or "foetus" or "tissue" is someone's baby.

• Jenna
    November 05, 2013 - 12:04

This was a miscarriage... not an abortion. The "Baby" was wanted; and yet, the mother was just left to deal with the aftermath..... as if it was no big deal. One thing which always puzzles me in these scenarios: Why is it, if it's a miscarriage it's a "baby" and if it's an abortion it's a fetus?

• Justin
      November 07, 2013 - 06:09

An abortion is deliberate, whereas a miscarriage is something that just happens--usually unwanted. A person has to GET an abortion, while they'll unwantedly suffer a miscarriage. I know what you're trying to get at though.

• Clare
    November 05, 2013 - 10:07

The abortion mentality truly has infected society. Here, a mother looses her baby to a miscarriage and no one seems to care. The staff equates the baby with nothing more than something to be flushed down the toilet. Then, the staff shows no compassion they are forced into thinking that the loss of a baby though abortion or miscarriage is nothing to be concerned over. This should really challenge some people's way of thinking. My heart goes out to this woman.

• Bayman
    November 05, 2013 - 09:58

It is interesting. Such stories are only the tip of the iceberg. The Telegram, it seems, does not like to publish comments which are not complimentary to EH. 94% is a joke to those who know about EH and the Accreditation system.

• J. Doe
    November 05, 2013 - 09:28

What many people don't know or understand is that this is pretty much the process that Eastern Health recommends if you have a miscarriage. They will send you home with anti-inflammatories and force you to go through hours or days of pain, and encourage you to "deliver" in the toilet and flush. We were cleaning and disposing of bloody items over the course of a couple of days. THIS IS RECOMMENDED PRACTICE. We have been through it, and it was one of the most horrible, traumatizing events of our lives. We really couldn't believe it wasn't explained better, and covered more in terms of what to expect, and counselling offered. It was treated as very matter-of-fact, which of course it is to them, but the compassion is gone from the system.

• T
    November 05, 2013 - 08:11

This is the realism that goes on in our Province . Only we as the public can make change happen. Keep those accountable and make these private matters sound loud to show that all things in the Health Care system are not right. I encourage more to come forward with there stories, there is no shame or dignity left when you are faced with such issues.Be not afraid.

• Wayne P
    November 05, 2013 - 08:10

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. In terms of healthcare, we pay nothing (except via taxes) so we get care that is less than the care you would get in a private institution. Two-tiered, my friends. Let's see it.

• Gerri
    November 05, 2013 - 06:46

What a travesty for this woman to endure....just one of the many cases of 'abuse' that happens in our so called health 'CARE' system. I know there are many who could also write to tell of good experiences as well, however, shouldn't EVERY patient be treated with the equal care and respect? All PATIENTS are taxpayers and are 'entitled' to receive proper level of care, dignity and respect. If the politicians are not listening to us, verbally, we need to make sure they listen to at the polls!!

• Concerned as well
      November 05, 2013 - 09:04

While tragic and emotional, miscarriages do happen to pregnant women and there is nothing anyone can do, especially when so early in the pregnancy, it just happens. Weather she miscarried on the toilet or elsewhere or at home, is immaterial.