Sean McCann leaves Great Big Sea

Tara
Tara Bradbury

Sean McCann has announced he will leave Great Big Sea at the end of the band’s 20th-anniversary tour.
McCann posted messages on his Facebook and Twitter accounts early Thursday afternoon.

Sean McCann of Great Big Sea said Thursday he will be leaving the band “with nothing but love in my heart.” — Telegram file photo

“This will be my last tour with GBS and I fully intend to enjoy every f--ken second and leave the stage with nothing but love in my heart,” he wrote. “So come out to say goodbye and save the last dance for me.”

McCann, who was in Orillia, Ont., Thursday night for a Great Big Sea concert, declined to say anything further about leaving the band when contacted by The Telegram, but said he'd comment in the new year.

The band was flying in the afternoon to Orillia, Ont., where they performed Thursday night.

Great Big Sea was formed in the mid-1990s with fellow musician Darrell Power, who left in 2003 to spend more time with his family.

The band grew to become one of the province’s biggest exports and, a year ago, released “XX,” a greatest hits compilation celebrating their 20-year career, available with a DVD. The collection took two weeks to go gold.

McCann, like Doyle and Hallett, has a successful solo career, and has released two records: 2010’s “Lullabies for Bloodshot Eyes” and 2011’s “Son of a Sailor.” He told The Telegram last year, while promoting “XX,” that he wasn’t ready to give up playing music.

“I’ve got some sore hips and sore knees, but the energy and passion is still there,” he said, laughing.

According to Great Big Sea’s website, the band will spend the next six weeks playing around Ontario and the eastern region of the United States before finishing the current leg of their tour at Moncton’s casino on New Year’s Eve.

Tbradbury@thetelegram

Twitter: @tara_bradbury

Organizations: Great Big Sea, The Telegram

Geographic location: Orillia, Ontario, United States Moncton

Comments

Comments

• Mike MacDonald
    November 18, 2013 - 23:18

Darrell powers is Defintely going to return to great big sea and replace him too

• Noel Guiney
    November 18, 2013 - 09:05

It sucks but all the best to you in your future, Sean. A change is good and I'm sure you will do well. All the best!

• Sean
    November 17, 2013 - 21:07

That sucks man, Hate to see you leave. I was at the show in Orillia on Thursday night. It was amazing. My wife's first time seeing the boys live and she mentioned how much Sean's singing gave her shivers. Best of luck buddy in whatever you do next

• Sean
    November 17, 2013 - 21:06

• Sean
    November 17, 2013 - 21:06

• Sean
    November 17, 2013 - 21:03

• Stacey
    November 15, 2013 - 21:54

Two hours before the orillia show I saw the tweet from Sean. I have seen this band well over 20+ in the last 15 years. They have brought much joy in my life and I thank Sean and the rest for their many concerts, albums and the like. Job well done Sean! So glad I was about 10th away from him for the show.

• Stacey