Comments

Comments

• Brittany
    December 05, 2013 - 19:10

I had no idea that women were treated this way. I had a miscarriage @ 13 wks. The doctor I had was amazing. She provided me with all the information about the type of miscarriage, told me about support group, and said to call her when I get pregnant again. She was also very compassionate. It's so sad to hear that not all women are getting this treatment. I really hope that there is something done because it is such a hard thing to go through and women need all the support they can get.

• Reena Edwards
    December 04, 2013 - 13:12

I too had a miscarriage in August 2012, by the calendar I was 1 7 weeks, On a Monday I went into the ER with cramps and light spotting. I was waiting for over 2 hours before I was seen even when I went up to the desk and explained my bleeding was getting worse. Finally I was brought into a room where a exam was done and the nurse said my cervix was still closed and that was a good sign, I had my hopes up, about 20 mins later the doctor and nurse came in and told me there were 98% sure I was miscarrying, I was heartbroken in between my crying I was trying to ask questions like what about the other 2% if there was any hope it would be shattered because the stress I am in now would not be good for the baby if I were lucky enough to beat the odds. I was told unfortunately they could not give me any answers until I had a ultrasound to confirm. They gave me the ultrasound appointment for 12:00 Tuesday. I had to go home with no knowledge of if my baby was actually gone or not, my mind was all over the place I had so many unanswered questions. I went back the next day for the ultrasound appointment I was just waiting to hear the most devastating news a woman can receive. The lack of compassion was ridiculous! I had to wait there obviously I was upset at what was to come and I had to sit there and watch all the other women come out with their pictures with smiles on their faces saying if they were having a boy or a girl. I had my ultrasound the technician didn't say a word I knew the result I didn't have to hear it from the doctor. As the doctor came in he confirmed that I had indeed had a miscarriage he told me the fetus stopped growing at 12 weeks, he gave me 3 options I could get a needle to make the fetus pass, I could let nature take its course or I could get a DNC. I picked the DNC, I was told to fast but they couldn't guarantee that the procedure would be done that day or the next because the way these procedures work is at the end of the schedule if there is enough time to do it then it would be done so I was basically on call. I went home again to wait for the phone call, early Wednesday morning at around 5am it passed on its own I was in so much pain and had no idea what to expect I was in the bathroom the fetus got stuck so I reached down and held it in my hand as I was waiting for the remainder to come out. I was so unprepared for this experience, it was horrible. I seen what was my baby it had a little face and legs and arms the position of the hand look as if it was sucking on its thumb. That is a image I will have with me for the rest of my life. I got a call later that morning to go in to have my procedure done, I explained how it had passed but they encouraged me to have it done anyways to insure everything was out. I had the procedure done after lunch on Wednesday afternoon. I am blessed now to have a son I was pregnant again 3 month later. I was almost discouraged about trying again because of the horrible experience I had with my first pregnancy. I believe that this is a very sensitive matter and all women in this situation should be educated, and prepared for whats to come during their miscarriage. The lack of compassion and consideration I had at the Health Science is haunting. I endured 3 days of horror. If a women is going through this they should do what needs to be done ASAP and not make them wait and wonder. Even the little things could of made my experience a little less horrible, they could of easily given me the last ultrasound appointment of the day instead of right smack in the middle of the day. If a woman is going through this I believe it all should be done and taken care of the same day so we can try and move on not make the painful experience linger. The treatment I received at the Health Science was disgusting! I wouldn't wish what I had to go through on anyone, they should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat these women who are experiencing a life shattering situation.

• Jan
    December 03, 2013 - 18:26

It is also important too, that a woman also be encouraged to talk to Pastoral Care. As this is also a spiritual issue. There is grieving associated with a miscarriage, similar to that of losing a loved one. This too is extremely important

• Jan
    December 03, 2013 - 18:25

• Sue
    December 03, 2013 - 10:58

Earlier this year it was determined at the ER that I had miscarried. I was in the first trimester. I was not given any information about support lines, mental health support, follow up treatment etc. In fact, my only information was what I would later research on my own via the internet. There was one nurse working that night who was particularly supportive during our 12 hr ordeal. I must acknowledge that. I am once again pregnant and have had to unfortunately (and with great hesitation and reservation I will add) visit the ER.. Since this was after the Telegram's article on the topic I expected an improvement. After waiting for several hours I was seen in a shared room where I was told that I was miscarrying. The doctor was wrong. Her assessment was incorrect and based on her lack of understanding regarding HCG levels (amongst other things). I was also given an internal exam using a lamp from the 1960s which was pulled from the hall somewhere. Luckily this time I was referred to the Women's Health Clinic. I was fortunate to receive great care at the Women's Health Clinic and then from the Fertility Clinic. I will also mention that several professionals who I encountered during this time advised me not to go back to the ER unless I felt I was going to bleed to death. The ER is not the place to treat pregnant women! ER staff are for trauma and really are incompetent for the most part when dealing with complex pregnancy related issues. Where are women in early pregnancy supposed to go for help? Family doctors send them to the ER, it's near impossible to get in to an OBGYN, and any specialists require referrals. I'm not sure Eastern Health really cares.

• david
    December 03, 2013 - 09:50

Collective bargaining agreement: Nurse enters patient room, holds patient's hand with left hand, strokes gently with right, while repeating: "There, there". Repeat up to 6 times.

• Anon
      December 04, 2013 - 10:09

That's got to be about the most ignorant and disrespectful thing I've read in a long time. You've clearly never had to go through losing a child in such a way. Hopefully you never will, but if you do, I hope you remember the comments you've made.

• jason
      December 04, 2013 - 12:20

Wow David Grow up man. You obvisiouly have not been in this situation with your partner or else u would not be making this comment. No doubt you are an advocate for hospital staff and probably encompassed within there collective agreement. Until you go through this situation with your spouse, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself

• Purple Haze
    December 03, 2013 - 09:37

Heartbreaking and disgusting how these and other women and spouses have been treated. To experience such trauma with no on the spot and followup mental health support is unspeakable. And that staff have to be asked to make sure this happens? It should be part of protocals just like taking blood or any other health care practice. Good mental health is only a joke in this province. It's the luck of the draw with health care practitioners...like most professions...sometimes you strike gold - sometimes you hit rock. Isn't there a women's health section at HSC? For women by women...maybe experienced survivors might have a role to play.

• Lynn L.
    December 03, 2013 - 08:01

Reading this article was heartbreaking.I can only imagine what these women had to go through at a time when their dreams are coming true. Then having to witness their dream being thrown in a garbage!! Have some compassion people you are suppose to be professionals!!!! Treat your patients as you would want to be treated! Losing a baby is There is support available through the Mental health crisis line.It is professionally staffed by Nurses and Social Workers 24 hours a day seven days a week.

• Jean
    December 03, 2013 - 07:57

These women were treated with such coldness because the fetus is not considered "a baby" by the society we live in today. It is a sad commentary on our health care professionals when women are treated in this manner. A fetus put in the garbage is such an insult to human dignity. Money cannot fix this treatment. What we need is compassionate, caring individuals working in these areas.

• Me too
    December 03, 2013 - 06:43

I too had a miscarriage. Mine was at the beginning of my second trimester. I did not receive a phone number, an information package, or access to a social worker or other counsellor. The devastation was more than I could have imagined and lasted for weeks. More support should definitely be available.