NAPE calls on Harper government to rescind decision to close Veterans Affairs offices

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The federal government’s decision to close nine Veterans Affairs offices will only exacerbate a looming crisis with Canadian Armed Forces veterans and personnel, says Carol Furling, president of the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees (NAPE).

Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees president Carol Furlong. — Telegram File photo

In recent days, four young Canadian veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) committed suicide.

Furlong said in a news release these tragedies took place only days before Minister of Veteran’s Affairs Julian Fantino announced that Veteran’s Affairs offices in eight communities will officially close their doors to veterans on January 31, 2014. This includes the office in Corner Brook. The office in Prince George, B.C. has already been closed.

Cpl. Jamie MacWhirter spoke to The Telegram last week about his own experience with PTSD after seven months in Afghanistan. That story can be read by clicking HERE.

“This is an alarming situation that demands immediate attention by the federal government,” said Furlong. “In light of the tragic events this past week and the continued call by veterans, both young and old, for the need to maintain the support services offered in these offices, the Harper government must immediately rescind the decision to close these offices.”

Geographic location: Corner Brook, Prince George, Afghanistan

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments