Looking to buy some fireworks and sparklers to liven up your News Year’s Eve celebrations?
The St. John's Regional Fire Department is reminding the public that the Consumer Fireworks Program put into effect last year requires all vendors selling fireworks in the St. John’s region to have certified people on staff in order to sell consumer fireworks.
— Telegram file photo
The program is in effect in St. John’s, Mount Pearl, Paradise, Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove and Logy Bay/Middle Cove/Outer Cove.
A person wanting to buy fireworks is required to complete an application form before purchasing any fireworks. The application form can be filled out at the place of purchase and will include name and address where the fireworks are to be fired and verify they understand the requirements.
The certified staff person is then responsible to verify that they have instructed the purchaser to:
• Clearly read all the instructions on each fireworks ahead of time;
• Check wind speed and direction to ensure any fireworks’ fallout will land away from spectators and not endanger surrounding property;
• Check the recommended clearances by the manufacturer of the purchased fireworks;
• Have buckets of water, a fire extinguisher or a hose nearby, and;
• Issue a “Consumer Fireworks Instruction Brochure” to the purchaser.