The RNC is offering tips to the public on how to secure personal identity and safety when using social networking sites.
• Be cautious of how much information you share. You could be putting yourself at risk by revealing your whereabouts or what you are doing.
• Check your privacy settings and review them regularly. The default settings are not always what are best for you.
• Avoid sharing any information that may make you vulnerable to identity theft such as your date of birth, address, or other personal information.
• Avoid advertising new purchases or travel plans in your social networking status. This could make you a target for theft.
• Remain professional and respectful. Do not share anything that could jeopardize your employment, or embarrass yourself or others.
• Never share information or images with someone you do not know.