Photographer’s choice: Keith Gosse

Keith Gosse

During a standoff with police in May, Justin Wiseman could be seen in the window of a house on Springdale Street in St. John’s brandishing what appeared to be a shotgun and in this photo held it up to his chin. — Telegram file photo/Keith Gosse

Keith Gosse writes about his most memorable shot of the year

The Telegram asked its team of photojournalists to pick one image from 2013 that meant the most to them. Here is Keith Gosse’s selection:

The photo I took of Justin Wiseman holding a shotgun under his chin is probably the one that stood out more than any others this past year.

It was, I hope, the culmination of a long and chaotic time for a troubled young man who eventually pleaded guilty to two armed robberies and a list of other weapons charges and court order breaches.

I arrived on Springdale Street late Saturday evening after I was tipped off by a friend of mine about an incident in the area. I found part of the lower section of the street cordoned off and the members of the RNC tactics and rescue unit dressed in body armour and armed with assault rifles as they gingerly manoeuvred around one particular house in the area.

I could hear and see some of the officers crouched behind a car and talking to someone in a house across the street. Looking down the street, I couldn’t see who they were talking to, so I decided to walk around the neighbourhood to get a better view of the scene.

I eventually ended up on Gilbert Street looking directly at Wiseman, who was standing in a second-floor window holding a shotgun. He would alternate between talking to and screaming at police who were trying to negotiate his surrender. At one point he shouted to police to shoot him. While I was photographing this, he went from holding the gun to one side to holding it under his chin. He would eventually stop talking with police.

As dawn arrived, the police used a remotely operated camera to look into the windows of the house. They eventually stormed the house and took Wiseman into custody. Read the original story here.

kgosse@thetelegram.com

Geographic location: Springdale Street, Gilbert Street

Comments

Comments

• Gerald Clancey
    January 24, 2014 - 14:15

If it makes you want to throw up, it must be art.

• helpforaddiction
    January 21, 2014 - 17:36

Addiction is affecting so many people. As an Addiction Specialist Counsellor I witness this on a daily bases. For Help go to www.helpforaddiction.co.uk

• Terry Rice
    January 12, 2014 - 10:58

Sorry that so many people feel this is inappropriate. But... You can have truth or perception in this world and I say bravo to Keith for posting this image. For some reason in the West we enjoy living some sedated yet delusional vision on how the "real" world is. It's so easy to turn a blind eye to reality and live in a world of cotton candy and lolly pops. Photo Journalism is about telling a story, both good and bad. It's helped to stop wars, feed the hungry and in this case show how we lose people as children to a world of crime. So this image may not fit your vision of a happy world, but it's real and it's the truth. If it's perception you seek, there is an entire collection of Walt Disney films that will fit your vision of the world.

• Wow
    January 01, 2014 - 08:24

I could see that a photojournalist would be proud of this picture, but I can't see how this image belongs in the paper today. A shotgun to his own head probably illustrates a very troubled soul. Not to mention his poor family who have to re-live this.

• JKB
    January 01, 2014 - 08:16

I agree with Christine but was reluctant to respond. Great photo yes.....but again, this is a photo of a troubled young man at his absolute worst. I'm sure those involved with this family are mortified and are reliving this event again .Just my opinion....its a great photo but not one (if I were the editor) that would be published out of respect.

• Enough
    January 01, 2014 - 06:15

I agree with what Christine said, loud and clear... Why couldn't you put something there nicer, happier. Not the likes of something of this nature.

• Guy Incognito
    December 31, 2013 - 16:09

Really? This is in incredibly bad taste, not to mention the photo itself is poor quality. Stay classy, Telegram.

• christine
    December 31, 2013 - 10:58

although I understand why the photojournalist would consider this his number one pic for 2013, it's sad this is so. To have this photo in the Telegram only serves to remind family/friends of the sad-tragic life and the lives that he may have negatively affected through his crimes. I am sure if he has a Mom, Dad or siblings this picture is not something they want to see nor to be reminded of. Sorry, but I think this is a bad choice for those reasons. Regards.

• Katie
      December 31, 2013 - 12:16

I totally agree - I would not want to see this if it was my brother or son. Really bad choice - you should go work for the Enquirer! I'm sure you would not share this if it was your family. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!

• Gary