Woman accused in stabbing to stay behind bars

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

She and victim know each other, police say

A woman suspected of stabbing another woman in St. John’s during the weekend will stay behind bars until at least Wednesday.

Inger Tollefsen is escorted out of provincial court in St. John’s Monday, a day after she reportedly stabbed another woman.

Inger Tollefsen appeared in provincial court in St. John’s Monday, a day after she was taken into custody.

“Really, people?” the 46-year-old said as she was being led past reporters outside Courtroom No. 7 on her way back to the holding cells.

Tollefsen was sent for a lunch-hour psychiatric assessment and was deemed mentally fit to stand trial.

She agreed to return to jail until her bail hearing, scheduled for

2 p.m. Wednesday.

Tollefsen faces two charges — aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

The charges were laid following an incident that happened 2:30 p.m. Sunday on Cowan Avenue, in the west end of the capital city, where the woman lives.

RNC officers from street patrol services, forensic identification and the criminal investigation division responded to the call.

A 47-year-old woman was said to have suffered serious injuries caused by stab wounds from a knife. The woman was rushed to hospital and remained there as of Monday.

Police are not releasing the details of what happened or information about the women, but at a news conference at RNC headquarters Monday afternoon, Const. Geoff Higdon told reporters that the women know each other.

Higdon would not say whether the victim also lived in the house or what led to the incident.

“At this time, it’d be inappropriate for me to speculate on what the motivation was behind the crime,” said Higdon, who added he couldn’t comment since the matter is before the court.

On Sunday, police had indicated they were questioning a third person, who may have witnessed the incident, but Higdon did not have information about that.

Tollefsen has one conviction on her criminal record — a charge of possessing property obtained by a crime from last year. She was found guilty on April 24, 2013, but was given an absolute discharge. That means the charge will be erased from her record if she doesn’t have any other convictions for 12 months afterwards. However, if she is convicted of the latest charges, that count will stay on her record.

Anyone with information regarding the incident on Cowan Avenue is asked to contact the RNC’s major crime unit at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800- 222-TIPS (8477) or via www.nlcrimestoppers.com



Twitter: TelyCourt

Organizations: RNC, Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Cowan Avenue

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Mary
    January 14, 2014 - 08:21

    I didn't know someone could (agree) to go back to jail,if a crime was commited ,until you went before the court,where else would she be going? Home?