Dogs help couple discover dangerous leak in home

Rudy
Rudy Norman
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Carbon monoxide detected after posting issue on social media

A Robert’s Arm couple is saying they’re lucky to be alive this week, and they have their dogs and Facebook to thank for it.
Angie Budgell-Strickland and her husband, Greg Strickland, said they had no idea that a carbon monoxide leak from their furnace was filling their home with an invisible, odorless poison.

Greg Strickland and Angie Budgell-Strickland of Robert's Arm say they’re lucky to be alive after discovering a carbon monoxide leak in their home.
 — Submitted Photos

They said they’re unsure when the problems with their furnace came about, but their two canines were the ones who first started feeling the effects, and started acting strange.

“It started out with our dogs being sick,” she said. “One of them was actually acting very depressed, not wanting us to leave the house for three or four days. The other one was very tired and had no energy to the point where I literally had to pick her up and put her in the bed.”

Mocha and Princess, don’t normally act like that, however Budgell-Strickland said they still didn’t consider that something bigger could be at play.

Even after a couple days of the couple feeling sick, the alarm bells didn’t go off, because they thought it was just a normal occurrence for the time of year.

“I had flu-like symptoms and was feeling dizzy and tired,” Budgell-Strickland said. “My husband had a headache and we simply thought we were getting a cold. Little did we know we were slowly being poisoned.”

After several days, Budgell-Strickland decided to inform her social media circle what was going on.

“I put on Facebook that my dogs weren’t feeling well and one of my Facebook friends suggested that if I had wood heat that I should check the carbon monoxide levels.”

Budgell-Strickland said, thankfully, they didn’t hesitate on the advice and immediately went and got a carbon monoxide detector.

“As soon as my husband pulled the tab, it alarmed,” indicating to them that there was in fact a leak in their home that was contributing to their sickness, she said.

“There must have been a small crack in our furnace box which allowed the fumes to escape into our home,” she explained. “So in my case, I guess, posting details of your life on Facebook worked out in the end.”

After discovering the leak, they left their home for a little bit, and left all their windows open to ventilate the house.

Strickland said they were able to move quickly and install a new furnace right away.

She said she hopes this warns others who burn wood as a source of heat.

“I want everyone to be sure to have at least one of these detectors in their home. It could save their life, like it did in our case,” she said.

And of course, Mocha and Princess, who are now back to their old selves, helped too.

The Nor’wester

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments