Comments

Comments

• Alice Asprey Lefurgey
    July 14, 2014 - 15:43

I am the aunt of Pamela Asprey. Missing from St. Johns NFL, Nov 12, 1984. I found a page on Facebook put up by a Tracy Bishop today. She said Pam lived with her family. When I went back to the Pamela Asprey page put up by Tracy Bishop it was taken down???????????? I would like to know more about what your organization does. I also found a posting from a Poole lady asking for identifying marks on Pam. She is suppose to be a private investigator. .I checked her Facebook page and she looks about 20 yrs of age. I am growing more curious by the second!. Alice Asprey Lefurgey

• albert fowler
    January 28, 2014 - 15:26

Jean Way Came From Hare Bay

• St. John's Native Friendship Centre
    January 27, 2014 - 14:15

Thank you so much for the response to the article. We have a larger list of missing/murdered women/children of NL for the Faceless Dolls project, but we are well aware there are many more cases out there that have not yet been brought to our attention. Please feel free to phone us at 709-726-7902 or email to amelia@sjnfc.com with information on missing or murdered women/children of NL so that we can follow up and add them to this (tragically) growing database. This database is the first of its kind here in the province, and we are working with a variety of other organizations to try and ensure no missing/murdered women/children are forgotten. Thank you.

• stella michelin
    January 27, 2014 - 10:16

Beck not a day goes by I don't think of my first cousin dd.. stay strong I love you guys...

• Marie Norman
    January 26, 2014 - 14:00

What can I say??? I just thank God I never experienced any thing like that...and I pray that all of these beautiful women are in heaven with God.. and as for the murderers... I hope the paid for their crime....

• Ruth Evans
    January 26, 2014 - 10:40

This takes my breath away.... As the mother of two girls and two boys, I fear for them in a society which clearly doesn't teach respect for women and their choices... Rebecca Michelin- what a remarkable person! congratulations and thank-you to her for her accomplishments, strength and bravery! RUTH

• Herb Morrison
    January 26, 2014 - 08:25

The horrific incidents of violence against women recounted in this article are understandable, at least in part; when you consider that we live in a culture where women are , on occasions objectified when they are referred to as "nice pieces of gear." On the other hand, the portraying and demonization of every male, by portraying all males as "male batterers," or "tarring all males with the same brush,"as the saying goes, is not the way to deal either appropriately or effectively; with the reality of the shockingly high level of incidents violence against women, as well-edocumented in this article, women. Holding all men accountable for the horrendous acts of violence doccumented in this article; is every bit as unjustiabe, as the objectification of women or the commission of acts of violence against women; regardless of whether the violence take the form of verbal or physical abuse. The key to eliminating vioplence agasainst women, as well as other injustices which exist in our society, is to temper our desire to see injustices,of which violence against women is one of many,is to temper our desire for justice with an appropriate sense of righteousness.

• Joanne Broomfield
    January 26, 2014 - 08:16

As a coworker of Becky Michelin, her moms twin I call her (her mom was a teenage friend of mine), Becky has grown into a beautiful young mom herself, who her mom would have been very proud of. Good job Becky for speaking out and praying this never happens to another family. You are young and have overcome so much in life already. Can't even imagine walking in your shoes! But you did it!

• Cecilia Williams
    January 25, 2014 - 21:08

I want to share something I wrote myself, I guess I was one of the lucky ones who got away. Praying for all woman who are still there. A thousand times u kissed me, a thousand times u lied. A thousand times u hit me, a thousand times I cried. When the sun comes up tomorrow, and u have no ugly words to say, all the bruises will be hidden but they'll never go away. Thoughts r buried somewhere in the dark, and one day brought to light. The day I finally left u I knew I'd have to fight. U took a lot away from me, one day I'll take it back. Slowly I will start to heal and put my life back on track. U over looked some details, when I was under your control. U underestimated me and some how I broke your hold. Somewhere under all the loss came a strength from deep within. A small voice started to speak uncovering all your sins. A thousand times you'll think of me, a thousand times you'll cry, a thousand times you'll miss me, a thousand times you'll wonder why.

• Sheila
    January 25, 2014 - 19:56

Kimberley Lockyer should be on this list.

• Frances Murphy
    January 25, 2014 - 18:32

Our loved one, my only sister, Sharon Murphy was 17 years old, 11 months, 21 days old when she was shot and murdered on April 6th, 1981 in Nain, Labrador while babysitting 4 children. She was being stalked and harassed and her case was known to police. We think about her all the time, she would have turned 50 last year. We love you Sharon and miss you so much.

• navek
    January 25, 2014 - 17:09

"One woman, in 2011, was shot in St. John’s while washing her dishes." How does this not get reported?

• seanoairborne
    January 25, 2014 - 14:18

Then there was, Chris Tapper, a lady of the night, who was found dead from blunt trauma on Princes St. in 1960.Her head was caved in and she was stabbed.I don't think they ever found the perp.Also a guy by the name of, Joe Myrick, was found with a knife in his chest across from Bannerman Park by a friend of mine while walking home one night in 1963.He ran all the way to the police station in the old courthouse building and reported it.There were many more,men and women, who died violently when I was a kid growing up in St.John's!God rest their souls!!

• seanoairborne
      January 25, 2014 - 14:54

Also there was,Leo Pitman and Gertie House.Pittman was a friend of my older brother and was found floating in St.John's harbor a month after his disappearance.His head was bashed in.They never found his killer.Gertie House was attacked by her live in boyfriend,Max, at her house on New Gower St.in about 1967.He was convicted of her murder and went to prison.Gertie ran a small store on the corners of New Gower and Queen Sts for about 7 years.IMe and my buds used to hang out there playing the pinball machine.She was a nice lady but her BF Max was an A**!!!

• Marilyn Meaney
      January 26, 2014 - 10:31

To the person who mentioned Chris Tapper...I am living with her son and her family have been years trying to get information abut her. Please contact me via email if you knew this woman. Chris had four children that finally found each other thru a lot of searching. Two of them are passed away. The other two would like more info about her if you can help us please do.

• Marilyn Meaney
      January 26, 2014 - 11:41

I forgot to put my email address in the plea to the person that wrote about Chris Tapper. My email address is mmeaney1@nl.rogers.com. Please contact me if you read this.

• Roxanne Michelin
    January 25, 2014 - 11:02

good job Becky, loves how you spoke out about our parents

• Lewis McNeil
    January 25, 2014 - 10:37

I'm pretty sure there was also a girl in Port-Aux-Basques in April of 1986 who was shot and killed.Her name was Elaine Pierce or Pearce.

• Christine Goodwin
    January 25, 2014 - 08:33

I would like to see Jean Way's name on the list. She was from Daniel's Harbour I believe and was murdered in Montreal in the very late sixties or early seventies ( not sure on the dates) she was a very beautiful person inside and out.

• gertie
    January 25, 2014 - 08:04

there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about and remember my sister(SHARON DROVER).this vigil would be such an honour for her and all of the others. THANK YOU GREATLY EVENING TELEGRAM.GERTIE DROVER