Comments

Comments

• Vernon Clarke
    January 26, 2014 - 20:48

Why does it always happen when things seem to be on the right track and going great breakup is always the result...Not only for great Big Sea but before them it was Figgy Duff featuring one of Newfoundlands greatest singers Lavern Squires and when it seemed that they were on the verge of greatness bang breakup...Anyway it was good while it lasted hopefully you made the right decision Goodluck

• Political Watcher
    January 26, 2014 - 10:39

Can't blame him for leaving; he was the most talented in the group and had the best vocals. With Doyle's ego as of late I can't see how anyone can stand to be around him for more than five minutes. Besides, since he hitched his wagon to Crowe's Australia is now home to the most talented people he knows (his words). Best of luck Sean, I look forward to your solo career.

• Jo Hogan
    January 26, 2014 - 10:16

Hey Sean, Congratulations and best wishes to you in your future endeavours. I always thought you were the best vocalist with GBS. God Bless you and I hope you have a rewarding, fulfilling financial career.

• Nit Picker
    January 26, 2014 - 09:00

Help Your Self and Help Yourself have different connotations, the former being counter-productive to the latter.

• elaine burden
    January 26, 2014 - 06:28

Congrats to you for getting out of the GBS umbrella & getting your life on track, & that is what it's all about, #1. No disrespect to the band but I thought you were the best vocalist of the group, but failed to get the applauds you truly deserved. So onward & upwards & only hope good things & success follow you.

• Eddie McCann
    January 25, 2014 - 21:18

Sean, I went through some of the same problems as you. I never went to AA but was considered a binge drinker. When I drank, at times, I drank a lot. It put a lot of hardships on relationship, friendships and my job. I blame it and how it amplified the anger on losing my first marriage and it almost cost me my second one before it even got started. I was an angry person from events of my childhood and adolesence, some of which I have no memory, that carried on and grew in my emergency response career. I couldn't wait for days off to have a drink. My new wife comes from a very strong Christian family, from Bonavista. Without their help,the help of my parents, friends and co-workers, turning my life over to God, who knows where I'd be now. Despite what people think nothing is possible without God's help and all we have to do is ask with a true heart and He puts into work, people to listen, counsel and help us heal. I have since been diagnosed with PTSD( post traumatic stress disorder) and life is getting better because of God's direction and help. I know we haven't talked in years because of comments I made about you and the band that didn't go over well with the band, you or the family. The past is the past. Despite the differences we had I always promoted the band,bragged you were my cousin and knew how to play before you..haha. I glad you're recovering, I wish you all the best on your new endevours and pray for you and your family, that God touches your lives like he did mine and my sister's with the help of very good parents, husbands,wives, children and friends. God puts people in our path for reasons, all we have to do is recognize it. The more we pray and read, the clearer that comes. Take care cousin and all the best.

• wavy
    January 25, 2014 - 13:49

For me, this article confims many suspicions. In bands, you have your "rebel" and "your quiet" one à la Lennon and Harrison, respectively. Reading between the lines from his own comments as well as comments below refuting some of his claims, sounds to me like McCann was "the whiner", with no shortage of ego to boot.

• Alison
    January 25, 2014 - 12:35

Obviously a difficult time for Sean but have to call him on his remarks about GBS not announcing his departure on the website - when he announced his plans to leave on Facebook, he said he didn't want to talk about it with media until the new year but to focus on the GBS tour instead. A statement on the GBS site would have promoted something he asked not to talk about - can't have it both ways. BTW, the GBS site is now promoting Sean's newest project, a sign of support for the next step in his career. The B'ys have your back Sean, and we all want the best for you.

• jen hoover
    January 25, 2014 - 12:26

so VERY inspiring! so proud of you & your accomplishments!

• Ryan McCallum
    January 25, 2014 - 10:44

Very interesting stuff. Many thanks to Sean for shedding some light on what many of us had heard rumors about for over a year. I know we all wish him the best in everything he does moving forward. Thank you for the memories over the years with GBS, and here's to all the new ones to come!

• Mike Kennedy
    January 25, 2014 - 10:36

I am glad to see at least some reason for Sean leaving GBS, I wish you success in your endeavours and I look forward to the release, best of luck to you .

• Anne Tenaglia
    January 25, 2014 - 09:26

Thanks for publishing this. We've been wondering with much interest, what the back story is. I sense there's still more in that head that hasn't been said, but I appreciate this much. I wish Sean well in his endeavors and hope he has found his sweet spot, career-wise.