RCMP warning public of telemarketing scam

The RCMP is warning the public of a telemarketing scam happening throughout the province.

The police force says it has taken several calls in the past few hours from various people who report they received a phone call from a male who claims to be a constable with the RCMP.

The caller tells people he is soliciting money to fund an anti-bullying book the RCMP is making.

The man requests donations of $100-$300.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Related:

Legitimate fundraiser resembles phone scam

When a person says they will not provide credit card information over the phone or requests that the information package be sent through the mail, the man will say he is transferring the person to another agent and the line is disconnected.

The RCMP says it never takes part in any type of phone solicitation for funds.

If you receive a call like this, hang up. If you are a victim of fraud, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or http://www.antifraudcentre.ca or the RCMP.

Organizations: RCMP, Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre

Comments

Comments

• Shawn
    April 22, 2014 - 16:58

I just received a call at work from the person claiming to be the CPA calling about raising money for anti bullying. I told him that it was my work number that he had called, but I would be interested in donating if he could call me at my home number. He seemed hesitant and took no interest in calling me later at home. Which struck me odd, I'm big on fund raising and helping out with community events. I googled it afterwards and found out that it's a scam. What a shame, I'm glad I didn't proceed and end up getting scammed but it's even more disappointing to think of the people who did get scammed thinking they were helping a good cause.

• Tarit Bhattacharya
    April 18, 2014 - 15:40

Almost got into this. Luckily googled at the right time, and just hung up.

• GordN
    March 31, 2014 - 19:21

If any of you have Shaw (I assume the same may be available anywhere) phoneline; I go into the Shaw customer Care centre and via the phone portal I block these numbers from even ringing my phone

• Mike S.
    March 30, 2014 - 12:57

Check with your phone provider if they have number blocking. I have that on my phone (North Bay, ON) The phone company allows to block a dozen lines at a time. We screen all our calls, if the name doesn't show we don't pick up. We then go online to a phone portal and we add this certain number to be blocked. Takes a few minutes to do, but have to say that we don't get more than one a day or so.

• Joan
    March 29, 2014 - 20:47

I've been called repeatedly by 604 2251493?This time I answered and live voice began singing when I asked to be removed. Given how long this has been going on my complaint is against authorities that allow it.

• Joan
    March 29, 2014 - 20:44

I've been called repeatedly. This time I answered and live voice began singing when I asked to be removed. Given how long this has been going on my complaint is against authorities that allow it.

• Gail Kent
    March 29, 2014 - 15:25

Just received a call from this number 604-255-1493, but no one said anything, and then a click. Thanks for the heads up.

• Danielle
    March 26, 2014 - 11:01

I just received a call, asking for $100-300 for the CPA anti-bullying fundraiser.

• SAVANNA
    March 24, 2014 - 17:58

Wow good thing for this site, they have called me for the umteenth time!!! my god

• tanya
    March 24, 2014 - 16:05

I received a call from 604-255-1493 saying that they can reduce my credit card rate. He was calling from the credit department from card services, when i asked what type of card i had he couldnt tell me, just that he represented visa and mastercard. I played along for a second, he asked my expiration date, birth date, then card number...thats when I called ended the call. 100% fraudulent scanners

• Jackie
    March 18, 2014 - 14:06

when I dial it back, anonymously, it says the number is not in service. They obviously have a comprehensive contact list, they call the land line first and then cell second. I appreciate finding this help online. Thanks.

• Jackie
    March 18, 2014 - 13:57

• carla
    March 17, 2014 - 18:29

this number calls me on a daily basis. i have told them over and over not to call my number again but it doesnt seem to help. im sick of it. why should i pay a monthly phone bill to put up with this

• Gitte Wilson
    March 15, 2014 - 21:31

Just received a call from 604-255-1493Mar 15

• Barbel Schroeter
    March 06, 2014 - 21:29

I just received a call from the CPA, asking for up to $300.00. I asked if I could make the donation at the local police station. The answer:no, they are too busy with criminals. The call was ended by the caller when I mentioned some sort of verification, after all, anyone can call and say they're from CPA. I live in Hazelton, BC. Neighbours, be ware.

• Yani
    February 21, 2014 - 21:31

I got a called from them today. A man is asking a donation of 100 to 300. And when I said I don't have that money he said I can donate $20 or $25, since I want to help I told him I will donate and next thing happen he connect me to another line and I spoke to a different man, where I give my credit information. I even ask the guy if it was a scam and he said "NO". after that call, i was so worried so I called my credit card customer representative to ask how much the Canadian Police Association charge to my credit card, she said that $25.00. so I was relieve, at least they only charge me $25. But my worry did not stop from there, so I did some research and I end up in this site. where I figure out it was a scam, so what I do is I called again my credit card representative and told them what happen so now they going to send me a new card. Now I can't use my credit card for a while until my new one will arrive. Oh well, sometime few people will just take advantage your kindness, too bad i did not think first before giving my information. I was just trying to help but I end up being fooled by them.... It was my first credit card and I only had it for less than a month and I been scam already. what an experience...

• annon
      February 22, 2014 - 13:14

What number, I got one from 587 887 2154

• Deb
    February 05, 2014 - 22:12

Not a very professional way to raise money if it isnt a scam BUT ive had the call twice now & I feel it is 100% a scam..They actually sent my sister something In The mail so she could send a money order where she had no credit card..I tried to attach a pic of the paper she received but I couldnt do it..Where I live when the fire departments are looking for help they go door to door Not over a telephone..

• Brian
    February 05, 2014 - 21:12

I kept getting calls saying they could lower my interest rates on my credit card, the last time they called before they got to far with their b.s. I said "I must inform you this call is being recorded and forwarded to the R.C.M.P." and you know what the next thing heard was? "click" best sound in the world :)

• Anna-Marie Veldkamp
    February 03, 2014 - 11:17

I HATE telemarketers! I always tell them to screw themselves. Or just pick up my phone and put it back down.

• GabeM
      February 04, 2014 - 23:25

great human you are, i hope your children or children's children have to be telemarketers to make a living you ignorant

• Darlene
    February 02, 2014 - 21:24

I get phone calks without the number from the mts call centre and they say good bye.

• callcentregirl
    February 02, 2014 - 20:49

The cop who says the rcmp doesnt do this is full of it. They contract things like this out to call centres. I used to work in one in Brandon Manitoba where I called people trying to raise money on behalf of the rcmp for a childrens charity. However thats for a charity to raise money for department programs such as antibullying campaigns im guessing they probably dont. Either way always be wary of any telemarketer. I couldnt last more than 2 weeks in that job I hated swindling people out of money and was actually told to directly lie to the people if need be and then yelled at when I couldnt make my sales quotas cuz everytime I called someone and started saying the script (which I was not allowed to deviate from) they hung up on me before I could finish saying "im calling to request a donation on behalf of...."

• Elsie Schwehr
    February 02, 2014 - 14:43

I had two calls like that and the 1st call my son answeared the phone then he called 911 and they said that it a scam .. and just here on Jan 30 th -2014 I got the same call and I was not nice to those people

• Angela
    February 02, 2014 - 09:48

Does it come up on your visa as community features Toronto??? I hope that's legitimate

• care
    February 02, 2014 - 04:08

anyone know what the number is that is calling?

• Constance Foy
    February 02, 2014 - 04:08

When you receive a call you question: Take the number off your phone and Google it. That will tell you most of the time if it is a scam. I have had at least 20 different numbers over the last year or so. All were scams. In the last three days have had as many calls but nobody answers me . Here are a few of them. 1-438-800-0460, 1-438-800-0458, 1-604-255-1493, 1-540-463-3816, 1-778-807-9599, 1-778-807-9463

• Lorelei
      February 02, 2014 - 15:45

Had 20 calls in one day, like this! Crazy! Nobody would answer either! And our phone company couldn't do anything except tell me to put our number on DNCL. It did just a week before...

• Brian
      February 05, 2014 - 21:17

Constance Foy the 604 area code one is probably a credit card scammer

• Brian
    February 01, 2014 - 08:51

So your organization tries to bully people into supporting a project aimed at stopping bullying?

• kent
    January 31, 2014 - 23:15

@scott wow i thought all money raised went directly to cpa you take 40 percent off the top of every dollar raised you say for administration fees you call this legimate and whos the real crooks i think from on now ill keep 100 percent of my money

• Karen
    January 31, 2014 - 21:15

There is another one as well it's a bc number the area code is 250-758-8102. And the person calls cell phones and if us not answer she will leave a voicemail saying her name is Patricia and says your name and tells u it's urgent u call her back! DONT!!!!!!

• Dave
    January 31, 2014 - 19:55

A good majority of these scammers get your contact info from social sites when you share posts, the ones like click like and share bc apple is giving away laptops or walmart giving gift cards. They have attachments as well the games and apps that request accessing your facebook account info just to play a game. You are opening the flood gates for these people. The best way to sort out real contests to scams is simple click the page of rhe source. If their timeline started with that contest then it is prob a scam (really Disney has been in facebook a lot longer then the contest you just shared.

• Kyle
    January 31, 2014 - 12:54

I had the same number call me like 20 time so far and it's pissing off that person needs got a life and stop robbing people

• maggie
    January 31, 2014 - 10:59

read this

• Doreen Smith
    January 31, 2014 - 10:07

we also were victims of fraud just this summer, we received phone calls saying that Murrays computer had errors n they could fix it so Murray trusting them gave out credit card info. twice at a cost of over $200 both times . We actually watched things being done to Murrays computer from this guys computer n after a second guy called I caught on told what I thought, the calls stopped and just last month we get another call so people beware of this, u can actually see them do things to your computer even thought they r in another province

• Kathleen
      January 31, 2014 - 17:02

@Doreen Smith -You can see them do things to your computer because you gave them remote access. These people are not just in another province, they are in another country. Never ever give anyone remote access to your computer especially someone who cold calls you. These people not only scammed you out of money off your credit card, they now have access to all your personal information on your computer. They could destroy your computer files if they wanted to.

• Kim
      February 01, 2014 - 12:48

I had the same guy go on about how they discovered errors in my pc sent by Microsoft. I let him go on us little spiel and when he asked for my credit card I said, hmm it's funny you say that Microsoft sent you errors since I use Mac... He apologized for the "error" and hung up

• heather
      February 03, 2014 - 02:04

we have received hndreds of these calls from "Microsoft" the call display has said BC, Toronto, California, Washinton DC, Ontario unknown number etc. All of them coe from overseas. They start with "good day! Im calling from Windows". The last call we got was at 5am. Hesaid it was 8 am and he was in california. He couldnt answer why it was a differnt time zone than BC that he ws calling to. He got some unkind words from me and I hung up. The thing is, theyll keep calling back again and again. They never use the same number, and they dont give up because you're pissed off. They think it's funny then. Just never give your credit card or personal information to ANYONE that calls you. You call them, it's a different story.

• heather
      February 03, 2014 - 02:06

• Deb. D.
    January 31, 2014 - 09:54

I received this call last week, and I told him this was a scam ;then I hung up. Thanks for confirming my belief.

• Amanda
    January 31, 2014 - 09:07

I get calls for the police station and fire department for donations, are both scams?

• T sampson
    January 31, 2014 - 08:47

If it is not bad enough to be harrassed every day for weeks on end by those telemarketers in India, there are now computer programs that exist that can fool caller id on phones by changing the information phones receive. I fave been plagued for months now by impossible phone numbers like 1-188-078-200, or 1-234-567-891 (not even the correct number of digits)

• Muriel
    January 31, 2014 - 07:16

This scam is rampant on PEI too! My mom got the same call the other day. A reputable charity will not ask for financial info over the phone so that is a good indication that they are trying to scam people if they ask for a credit card!!

• Gertrude Plourde
    January 30, 2014 - 19:15

just received that call about 15 mins ago.....

• Natalie
    January 30, 2014 - 16:39

The Police Asssociation of Nova Scotia is a legitimate charity that does solicit funds (my family donates annually), but they send out requests on snail mail and they would know your full name without you having to tell them because you opt in to a list with them. And if you want to donate, you can go in in person. Which would be the best route if you aren't sure.

• Hughena
    January 30, 2014 - 14:21

I just said , I am RCMP officer, who is this again because I have you on call trace. They don"t call back.

• Tracy Smith
    January 30, 2014 - 14:09

My telephone has been ringing with telemarketers all afternoon here are 2 numbers that have come up on my phone: 1-888-299-7652 1-866-387-8751 They are looking for money and asking me detailed information about myself, I have not nor will ever give this information to anyone. I am not in the collection agency nor do I own money's to anyone. Thanks for your interest in this matter.

• Olive Hulan
    January 30, 2014 - 12:10

On Jan, 09th, I received a call from ; 1-709-700-2004, the name on my visa statement is Community features Toronto, Ont, asking for a donation to help against bullying...from who the caller said , she was RCMP...She was really convicing...so I gave my visa number and donated $25....There was only $25 taken from my visa card as of today Jan 30th. I have since called visa to stop any other payments from this this company

• Candice Haynes
      January 30, 2014 - 16:17

Same person called me and said well you donated 20$ last year can't you donate 25$ this year? I told them last year I would donate the money and never did because I figured it was a scam, more so now that they tell me this year that I did donate when they received no money..

• Erica
    January 30, 2014 - 11:11

I just called the number listed in a comment and blocked my number, theres a recording on behalf of the "Canadian police association". These people are ridiculous, don't be fool by them.

• Mr.T
    January 30, 2014 - 11:02

This might help . Ask them to please call your office , Then give them the RCMP Dept: Number .

• Ena
    January 30, 2014 - 10:21

I already had a call like this and send 20.00 But i also had something come in the mail for this . I sure hope i did the right thing b y sending the money.

• Anne
    January 30, 2014 - 10:16

I also got a call like that just the other day and they phone with a 902 # saying that they are the police association and asking for money I simply hung up but they call every day at my boyfriends house aswell but it just so happens that he never answers long numbers that he doesn't know!

• Kim
    January 30, 2014 - 09:53

I had that call yesterday he said that I could even donate as low as 40.00 he just didn't want to give up so I hung up on him!

• R Dale Goodwin Coffin
    January 30, 2014 - 09:44

I received a call in regards to this matter about 2 weeks ago. The man spoke of the fund raising and asked for a donation anywhere from $100-$300 and for my credit card info. I asked that a info packet be sent to me and the guy went almost ballistic, asking whether I trusted the RCMP. I said I sure do but I dont trust you. He hung up.

• Steve
    January 30, 2014 - 08:59

Sounds a lot like what Regional Maple Leaf does. They solicit business to have them buy adspace at the bottom of anti-drug/bullying magazines aimed at kids that are commonly placed in Doctors offices, hospitals etc.. They claim to be working on behalf of the Mounted Police Foundation. Not sure how much of this is true but it has very little to do with the RCMP from what I gather. Check out their webiste. As you can see the calls people are receiving now are very similar to what they have on their site. http://regionalmapleleaf.com/

• Nancy
    January 30, 2014 - 08:56

We have received recent calls on this matter also. They just hung up also when I told them that I was not interested. I also received multiple calls this month concerning my windows computer. They are telling me that I have harmful spam that could harm my windows computer. I answered by telling them that I do not have any windows computer in my house and they hang up on me. My neighbours have received similar calls also. Please beware of these calls.

• Lorie
    January 30, 2014 - 08:55

I've read a lot of similar scripts reported to http://www.callercenter.com by those who received the calls. It's alarming that nowadays. Scammers don't have to leave their homes to steal people's money. It only takes a single phone call.

• Joanne wall
    January 30, 2014 - 08:42

I had a man call me about 2 weeks ago regarding this he said they were looking for donations of 100$ - 300$ all he needed was my credit card I told him I didn't have one so he said that even 20$ was better than noting and they he would send me the information in the mail I haven't heard a thing since . but I do no he was very pushy and wouldn't take no for a answer

• Jennifer
    January 30, 2014 - 08:29

I received this call just yesterday. Asking for a donation of $300, $200 or &100 and I told him no not now and then he tried getting 25 or 30 from me to help kids out. It was the least I could do he said! I hung up on him after that!

• Courtney
    January 30, 2014 - 07:53

What number do they call from? I have had a weird number calling me day and night !?

• Phyllis LeGrow
    January 30, 2014 - 02:58

I received a call last week from a Man claiming to be collecting donations on behalf of bullying. When I told him not right now,he got a little irate asking me if I cared about Kids getting Bullied.I hung up on him.If the call had been a real RCMP Officer he would not have spoken that way.

• Charlie
    January 29, 2014 - 22:21

Just press*57 (star 57 ) call trace, note the date and time n call police, only police have access to call trace

• tonya
    January 29, 2014 - 21:13

hi this guy have called me in the 5 days at lest 8 time i had to cut my phone

• vernique
    January 29, 2014 - 21:06

jan/29/14 few weeks ago I got one asking for money for the moose,they wanted money for them to bring moose t mat from nb/ns cause ns don't have enough moose

• Jeannie Mayo
    January 29, 2014 - 19:40

I just received a call a few moments ago the number is they used is 1-709-700-2004

• christine hynes
      January 30, 2014 - 08:14

this number was on my phone as well on Jan 28 , 12;52 pm. I kind of knew it looked suspicious. thanks Jeanie!

• Heather Foley
    January 29, 2014 - 18:46

When they are placing the call of that certain number, the phone company should not put the call throgh. There should be a block put on them sort of numbers

• joe bennett
    January 29, 2014 - 18:17

We had this call today as well and we did say no but it was convincing.

• Shane
    January 29, 2014 - 17:09

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I get these about once every year. They call on behalf of the Canadian Police Association. I just politely let them know that I am not interested in sponsoring the books and that's the end of that call.

• Liz LeDrew
    January 29, 2014 - 16:59

I already had this call and told them that the RCMP don't solicit for money!

• Scott
      January 30, 2014 - 23:33

First and foremost, let me say that I work for a company called iMark Connect. We ARE the firm that calls on behalf of the Canadian Police Association. The current CPA campaign, is for Anti-Bullying. If you go to www.cpa-acp.ca and get the contact information, you will be able to contact the CPA themselves and actually find out that this is a real thin and not a scam. Currently 60% of all funds raised by my company goes directly to the CPA, while 40% goes to covering the administration costs. The CPA headquarters is located at 141 Catherine Street in Ottawa Ontario. The customer service number is 1-800-378-0929. The president of the CPA is Micheal Gendron and he can be reached at 613-231-4168. The company directly responsible for the actual fund raising campaign is Frontline Support, a division of iMarketing Solutions Group Inc. We are located in Toronto Ontario. Again, this is NOT a scam but a legitimate program. The CPA is not directly affiliated to the RCMP, it is a Canada wide organization of 52,000 active and retired members of polices forces all over the country. The programs instituted by them are for the entire country. Hopefully this will help all of you understand exactly what the situation is.