Comments

Comments

• Lisa
    February 05, 2014 - 19:48

I am the mother of a one year old boy, who just three weeks after he was born suffered a stroke. Since his diagnosis one year ago this last January,he has been involved in the rehab program at the Janeway. He has come a long way and been through a lot in his shot life, but thanks to the rehab team at the Janeway we see continual improvement. I have heard about Sheila through family and friends and her story is inspirational. I often think that if an adult can relearn as much as she had to in her rehabilitation, then my little guy has a great chance at overcoming this struggle too. Congratulations to you Sheila on all of your hard work, and to those supporting you at the miller centre for providing you with the care you needed to recover.

• Marilyn Burridge
    February 03, 2014 - 20:07

So happy for you Sheila, that you got some kind of normal life back. Stroke can be so devastating. Hope you continue on the road of healthy living. Take care and I look forward to reading the rest of your story tomorrow. Good job.

• Jeanette Behie (Spurrell)
    February 03, 2014 - 19:33

just read article about your road to recovery. My son chris has kept.me informed of your progess over the years and wanted to let you know I have thought of you often. I wish you the best for a complete recovery. Jeanette Behie Houston, Texas

• Sheilagh Burke
    February 03, 2014 - 10:18

You are an inspiration Sheila and you have great strength...thanks!

• Barbara Baldwin
    February 03, 2014 - 09:48

I have met Sheila and am amazed at her story, I had heart surgery in 1998 and went through the Eastern Health Cardiac Program which was then at the old Grace hospital residence. When the residence closed, there was a group of former patients of the program who formed the Newfoundland Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, which has operated without funding from the government or Eastern Health for 12 years, We accept all graduates from the Eastern Health's Cardiac Program. We are saving the health care money as we are taking care of our own health. .

• Darrell
    February 03, 2014 - 09:45

What a beautiful lady and wonderful story. Kudos to her and the Miller Centre.

• Anne Marie Woolridge
    February 03, 2014 - 07:41

I have known Sheila for a very long time and the one thing that always comes to mind when I think of her is her positive attitude toward life and her kind and loving spirit. She is an inspiration to me in how she lives her life. Her warm smile lights up any room she enters and I am so proud to say I know her. Thank you Sheila for not giving up on life; this world just wouldn't be the same without you.

• Father's Daughter
    February 03, 2014 - 07:03

My father had a serious stroke last year and spent 3 months at the Miller Centre. After discharge, his rehab continued and now, a year later, he still participates in their regular stroke survivors meeting. Our family cannot say enough good things about the talented and compassionate personnel at the Miller Centre. They held out hope even when we lost ours. And they were right - Dad went from not being able to get out of bed to driving and resuming many of his normal activities. We live in town, so not so hard for us, but (like many things), quite a bit more difficult to take advantage of these services when you live in a smaller centre.