Kathy Dunderdale resigns her seat

Former premier Kathy Dunderdale has resigned her Virgina Waters seat in the House of Assembly, effective today.

Kathy Dunderdale is pictured in this file photo when she announced she was stepping down as premier of Newfoundland and Labrador.— Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

Dunderdale resigned as premier in mid-January.

In a brief statement sent to media, Dunderdale said, “I thank the people of Virginia Waters for the privilege of representing you in the House and working with you to make a difference. I am honoured by the support you have shown me throughout the past 10 and a half years since you first elected me, and I am deeply grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to serve you.”

The resignation means that interim-Premier Tom Marshall will have to call a byelection to fill the seat within 60 days.

Dunderdale became premier after former premier Danny Williams resigned in the fall of 2010. After winning a general election with a majority government, she served for two and a half years before resigning.

Since her resignation on Jan. 24, Dunderdale has not spoken to any media.

Geographic location: Virginia Waters

Comments

Comments

• Crazy
    March 01, 2014 - 17:51

@ Tony Rockel, wish I could read your complete comment your posted. I would be more then happy to reply. But like always. Tony you like to hear yourself talk. Just like a Liberal supporter, all wind, No foundation to your words..LOL..How much are they paying you, to keep an eye on the comment? Free trip to the washroom, to drop your load of B/S..

• Tony Rockel
      March 03, 2014 - 06:40

What is it you can't understand about my statement? If you think I'm a Liberal supporter you must be as delusional as John Smith evidently is. And where is the substance to support YOUR bluster? I have written at length about why I think the PCs AND the Liberals are wrong--- not that I trust the NDP either.

• Scott R
    March 01, 2014 - 13:00

@ Virginia , By any chance are you Cathy Bennett? Reason for asking, you sound so much like her.

• Crazy
    March 01, 2014 - 09:20

@ Virginia Waters, If I had my choice, lots of your posting wouldn't be up. Reason, to much crap. YES we all know the PC's did everything wrong. YES we all know under Dwight Ball leadership, everything will be done correctly. TRUE. One thing I can say for the PC's they are willing to let anyone run for New Leader, As for the liberals, back in July 5/2013 DEMOCRACY die. wouldn't you agree Virginia. six came forwards, but one was denied the right to run, without any explanation to the people the reason why. Yes Virginia Liberal got something to be proud, BILL 29 At its best,

• Tony Rockel
      March 01, 2014 - 13:47

My word, Mr Crazy, you seem quite worked up! Yes, I'm sure the PCs would let ANYONE run for leadership. That's how desperate and decimated they are at present. You also seem to unaware that it was the PCs who extended the scope of Bill 29 to the extent that we we've been reduced to a banana republic dictatorship even worse than that imposed on us by the sleazoid Liberanos.

• Marie
    February 28, 2014 - 18:50

If any of the people that is thinking about running for either party gets the nomonation then it will be the first time since I was able to vote that I will not be voting. So far the ones that are thinking of running have too much bagage for me to vote for.

• RATTER 01
    February 28, 2014 - 15:23

Love her or dislike her, at least she has done the right thing and resigned. Thank you Kathy. There is still some class left in you.

• Stephen D Redgrave
    February 28, 2014 - 15:21

Poor KD just couldn't catch a break since becoming premier. It seems she went from one in house crisis to another , being yanked this way and that way. A raw egg can take a lot of pressure before it finally cracks, and I think Kathy's shell was a lot tougher than anyone expected. Still...she did what she was advised to do under a lot of pressure , and was used as somewhat of a scape goat for issues that went far beyond her own control.. Whenever big changes come around, someone is left holding a bag of dog poop, even if those changes may not have been their thought, or creation. Something good always comes out of something bad. Only time will tell. Meanwhile Newfoundlanders (most at least) got what they wished for. Be careful-- wishes can often backfire in our face. The PC party won't be recovering any time soon, with or without KD.

• Pat
    February 28, 2014 - 15:21

Kathy who ???

• Virginia Waters
    February 28, 2014 - 14:40

Excuse the duplication, but as anyone who has tried posting to the Telegram's new website in recent months is well aware, it is pretty much hit or miss. There was no confirmation with the first one, so I assumed - as happens regularly - that it had not gone through. Any chance of bringing back the old website?

• Steve
      February 28, 2014 - 23:41

well this is a test I would have to agree with you worst site I have ever seen to make a comment on have tried many times to post but usually fails ..I have a feeling though this useless post of mine will go through today lol

• Torey Nomore
    February 28, 2014 - 14:22

Hold back her severance pay for taking salary for the last month and call it square.

• Virginia Waters
    February 28, 2014 - 14:17

Don't know the pension calculation formula for retiring premiers in NL but I have to assume that Dunderdale's income would be greater upon retirement than it would if she remained an MHA. And assuming, which I think is likely, that she intends to engage in other employment, it is almost essential that she first resign as MHA. So - from a personal financial point of view - leaving sooner as opposed to later probably makes sense. And whatever we might think of her performance, she is entitled to her entitlements. But by quitting now, she is clearly doing no favours for the PC party. Not only will the by-election be an unwelcome distraction as it gets ready for a leadership review, but chances of winning the seat would be much better with a new leader in place. That assumes, of course, that the new leader is someone who might inspire confidence (a real challenge at this point). As most pundits agree, the party's best bet would be someone other than a sitting Tory. Timed correctly, her seat might have given that outsider quick access to the House of Assembly. That option is now gone. My guess is that - public niceties aside - there is some degree of mutual disdain at this point between Dunderdale and the PC party.

• Dolf
    February 28, 2014 - 13:40

Hopefully the rest of her gutless wonders will follow suit.

• Too Funny
      February 28, 2014 - 14:52

Right now they're slithering over to the Liberal side.