Comments

Comments

• white
    March 05, 2014 - 00:02

This is complete b.s. john smith what kind of world r u living in?not a crisis? No its just freezing temperatures here in the middle of the winter with no heat or lights and most stores were either closed and even gas was running out at local gas stations. So if that's just normal day of life then we must be living in the 1800s. Most nl will agree with me when I say this was a crisis maybe not a huge one but u try living In the dark and being cold when u have no idea when power will be restored and when u can get something hot to eat. Nl light and power should be the blame for this. I get stuck with a 500.00 light bill that tripled from the month before when I had one heater on in the basement no lights on hardly all month and barely used the washer or dryer and u expect me to conserve energy for what? No thanks I'll keep my lights on and my heat on blast with my fans going.

• Crisis
    March 04, 2014 - 06:53

A reporter refered to the outages as a crisis Dunderdale said it wasn't a crisis. The reporter asked again , questioningly , but quite accusatory, if this was not a crisis. Those were some leading questions and with that the media and opposition had their torch. Did that reporter work for The Telegram or CBC. Anyone know?

• John Smith
    March 04, 2014 - 06:14

Imagine how they would have felt if they lived in Ontario? Where they went three weeks without power...let alone 36 hours. Of course it wasn't a crisis...the Premier would have been incompetent had she called it one. The police, hospitals and emergency sevices were all functioning properly, roads were passable and many stores and businesses were open. It was only a few years ago we had a sleet storm where we had power out for weeks...and that wasn't a crisis either....This was totally blown out of proportion....does anyone thin k Dwight Ball would have kept their power on? LOL what a bunch of whiners we have become....

• Maurice E. Adams
      March 04, 2014 - 07:07

The sleet storm that caused several weeks of power outages was not a 'few years ago' --- it was in the early 1980's when many, many more homes used oil and wood heat.

• Marshall Art
      March 04, 2014 - 10:06

Hey, John Smith, perhaps whether something is or is not a crisis is all in the eye of the beholder. Seniors, many with Alhzeimer's, being bundled up and moved in the dark, freezing cold, may have thought they were in a crisis situation. Elderly people with frozen pipes and sewer backups may be forgiven if they thought they were in a crisis situation, right ? Ditto for people living on home oxygen. Premier Dunderdale looked at everything from her cosy perch and haughtily informed the great unwashed that they were not in a crisis situation.

• Tony Rockel
      March 04, 2014 - 10:27

More wisdom from "John Smith", the genius who would have us believe that Muskrat Falls is an unmitigated blessing. So much for HIS credibility. He is either one of the few who stands to benefit from this massive scam or he is just another flunkey who has sold his soul to Dannyco. How many pieces of sliver did it take, I wonder?

• Henriette Arsenault
    March 04, 2014 - 05:33

I want to tell you my experience with the power outage of early January. Beside being cold, having the inconvenience of no water or bathroom, no tv to get the latest on this problem, we also had a power surge that crewed up our 4 yrs old freezer and spoiled all of our food! As seniors living on a old age pension, it took us a long time to save to get this and now it's all gone because of power outage. Also our electricity bill went up like crazy!! This is not fair. When I called NL Power, I was told that once the house gets cold it takes more to heat it up again but who's fault was it if it got so cold? No ours but NL Power's so why should I pay for their problem. I'm sure they have much more money than us senior! Something should be done about this. Enough is enough and now they are warning us that it could happen again and to save energy??