Bedbugs spotted in lockup, Supreme Court

Rosie
Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Sheriff’s officers worry they’ll inadvertently bring the pests home

Bedbugs are making their way through the justice system in St. John’s.

Months after they were detected at provincial court in Atlan­tic Place, the bugs have been spotted at both Newfoundland Supreme Court and the St. John’s lockup.

According to three sheriff’s officers who didn’t want to be named, a bedbug was seen at around 4 p.m. Wednesday crawling on a male sheriff’s officer’s sleeve at Supreme Court. That prompted administrators to call in a sniffer dog, which checked the historic building.

“It was one (bedbug),” chief administrative officer Pamela Ryder-Lahey told The Telegram Friday. “Within the hour, we had the dog in and the building was cleared.”

She said the dog was brought back to the building again Thursday and no other bedbugs were detected.

However, according to sheriff’s officers, the dog did sniff out bedbugs at the lockup.

“It’s unsettling,” a sheriff’s officer said. “We don’t know if we’re bringing these home.”

Sheriff’s officers escort up to a dozen inmates from the lockup to provincial court and Supreme Court each day.

“We have to pat these inmates down each time, so (bedbugs) could easily get on us,” the officer said. “And the worst thing is, we don’t know just how bad the problem is.”

Calls to Graham Rogerson, superintendent of prisons, were directed to Department of Justice media co-ordinator Luke Joyce.

In an email to The Telegram, Joyce said, “A single bedbug was found in one of the male cells (at the lockup) and no bedbugs were found in the female cells. An exterminator has been in and sprayed the facility. We will continue to monitor the issue closely.”

rgillingham@thetelegram.com

Twitter: TelyCourt

Organizations: Supreme Court, Department of Justice

Geographic location: Atlan

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Dahai
    March 08, 2014 - 12:54

    You can immediately solve bed bug problem by an innovative method. It is well known that sleeping in bathtub stops bites. After converting a bed into a bed bug trap, you don’t feel any difference when sleeping as inaccessible CO2 bait. The sticky barrier traps bed bugs but never touches people. More than 99% bed bug feeding chance is on bed, which is eliminated by one-time easy effort. Since exterminators don’t carry bed bugs home, it is feasible to eliminate the remaining 1% feeding chance at day time. You only need a few of efforts: Set up bed sized traps. Only heat clothes you are going to wear in a dryer (< 10% total clothes). Keep tables and chairs bed bugs free by sticky tape. Don’t sit on sofa or set up CO2 trap under sofa. To immediately solve the problem, you must get rid of poor methods of chemical, vacuum, steam, DE, mattress encasement, dumping furniture, or washing everything. Bed-sized trap does not care how many bed bugs inside electronics, mattresses, and closets, how many bed bugs behind wall and under carpet, how many eggs they can lay, and how long a bug’s life because all of these bugs can’t bite and will be trapped or starved. Google “bed sized bed bug trap” and celebrate having solved problem on the first day of setting up bed sized trap due to no more bites and negligible daily effort. It was the best decision to call exterminators because professionals have high skills to use poor available methods. Now everyone can stop bed bug bites immediately by right DIY method even bed bugs migrate from other apartments tonight.