Priest suspended in St. John’s parish following complaint

More allegations of wrongdoing have been made in connection to activities within a St. John’s Catholic parish.

Father Wayne Dohey.

On Saturday, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s announced in a news release that Father Wayne Dohey has been removed from his duties as a parish priest for St. Patrick’s Parish. Archbishop Martin Currie also suspended Dohey from all ministerial duties pending the outcome of an investigation.

The archdiocese did not specify the nature of the investigation, but it did state the complaint made against Dohey is unrelated to charges recently laid in court for alleged embezzlement activity at St. Patrick’s Parish.

Dianne Coady is facing charges of fraud, theft and forgery. Those charges were laid following a forensic audit of parish finances. According to another news release, the parish priest reported to the archdiocese about suspected fraudulent activity in August of 2012.

Comments

Comments

• Herb Morrison
    March 10, 2014 - 12:12

Lloyd, I have simply stated my opinion. I have not passed judgement on anyone. The term Natural means human, regardless of whether or not a person is saved or unsaved. The fact that I am saved, as you put it, does not mean that I am any less human than any other human, nor does it mean, as one respondant has stated, that I have a superiority complex. I do not consider myself to be any better than any other human. Because I am saved by Grace through Faith, as I have indicated in a previous post, I consider myself to be better off than someone who is unsaved-not better than them.The choice to accept God's offer of Spiritual support, in this world, and God's promise of eternal Spiritual life in Heaven, is left up to each individual person and the opportunity to avail of Spiritual salvation and eternal Spiritual Life , is open to any and all. Furthermore, the Bible was inspired by God but was written by natural men, or natural human beings, who lived in a male-dominated Middle Eastern country, where, within the society of that country, a man's livestock were considered to be more valuable than his wives. (plural marri8age was the rule back then.) This explains why the term natural man is used by the writers of certain portions of Scripture. This practice was most likely inspired by social mores of that time, which left women with no social status, and was not inspired by God. To get back to the original I was attempting to make; the fact that I am a Christian, who is saved by God's Grace, doesn't mean that I lose very human wants needs or desires. I am not immune to at least being tempted to succumb to the so-called "sins of the flesh." Because I am human, Jesus Himself requies that I pray what is commonly known to Christians as either the Our Father, or, as is the case in my Tradition, The Lord's Prayer. Part of The Lord's Prayer states: "Forgive us our Trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." If being saved meant, as you claim, that when we are saved, we cease to be natural men, or women, why would God, through Christ, require that I acknowlege my trespasses (Those times when I, because I am a natural man, have in my natrural humaness, sinned against God?" ) If, as you claim, we cease to frail human beings because we are saved, such an assertion denies the Power of Almighty God to take a natural, complete with his or her human wants, needs , and desires, and to enable that person to do God's work in the world so that both God's will, and the Good News of the Gospel might be made known to all people. That message being that; despite the fact that we are and will always remain, natural men and women,(Warts and all); there is a loving, forgiving, and merciful God, who is willing, in God's Grace and Mercy, and because of our Faith in God and in Christ as Saviour and Lord, to provide us with both the Spiritual strength do God's work in this world, and eternal Spiritual salvation, in Heaven, following our physical death. Finally, I am not against Fundamentalists, or their right to believe as they please. What I am attempting to do in my posts is to state what I believe it means to be a Christian. Because I am, human and not Divine, a humble, flawed, natural man, my writings, either in whole or in part, do not necessarily represent the Gospel Truth.

• Leah
    March 10, 2014 - 09:48

Bernard O'Dwyer, Who is your post directed to? If it's to the priest, he sure doesn't need a place to relax, be comfortable, worry about food, heat, etc. You must know that the Archbishop has taken care of all that and he is in some cushy place hiding away.

• Bernard O'Dwyer
    March 10, 2014 - 09:10

My prayers are with you. If you caare to visit to relax for awhile, you are most welcome. Bernard

• Herb Morrison
    March 10, 2014 - 07:24

A couple of observations As I indicated in my earlier post, I don't agree with most, if not all, of what Lloyd has said. However, Lloyd's right to both freedom of speech and Freedom of Religion are Charter Rights, which he is entitled to exercise. Secondly, I find it interesting that people who profess to be non-believers in God, so readily jump at the chance to play God. Finally, I would suggest that certain people stick to attacking the content of Lloyd's a argument and refrain from attacking the content of the character of someone they don't even know.

• Robb
      March 10, 2014 - 08:35

Well Herb, we all know a "Lloyd", and this is not attacking, this is telling him to keep his "junk" to himself, and give up trying to tell me and others to "follow the bible"....his quote: "If more people would follow the Holy Bible,..." So I say again, if he likes the holy bible, then he should know himself out, but please to do insinuate that all should follow the bible. He believes in the bible, good for him.....if he believed in the tooth fairy, again good for him, but don't tell me and others what we should be doing. And I am a so-called roman catholic who grew up around these Christian brothers and priests, and I can tell you, the bible is not something that comes to mind when I remember them. So down off your high horse please, and keep the bible and anything else religious to yourself, and again, knock yourselves out with it.

• Herb Morrison
    March 09, 2014 - 20:20

Lloyd, permit me to offer some random thoughts for your consideration. Firstly, I am speaking from the perspective of what you would refer to as a natural man. The fact that I am also both a professing and confessing Christian, does not change the reality that I am, and will continue to be a natural man. Despite the fact that I am a natural man, by God’s Grace, because of my Faith in God, and in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord, I am assured that God, who is merciful, loving , and forgiving will, through Christ, by the Power of the Holy Spirit, sustain my immortal soul, regardless of the challenges, which I face in this world, and will have a place in Heaven for my immortal soul, when my physical life comes to an end. Oh, by the way, I find your reference to nature man and the absence of any reference to natural woman to be, sexist, exclusionist and contrary to Christ’s teachings. When you consider that Jesus personally recruited the Samaritan woman at the well to do God’s work among her people, I* don’t think that your exclusion of natural women would be particularly pleasing in the sight of either the Father or the Son. In closing, I am wondering if your post written in response to this news story response to the story recorded above is, a product of Divine inspiration or, based on the decidedly Fundamentalist tone of your post, is the product of your having been exposed to some very unchristian, anti- Roman Catholic, Fundamentalist rhetoric.

• Lloyd
      March 10, 2014 - 08:46

Herb, let me say this: I am sure you are quite familiar with the quote in the Bible, where it says: But the natural(unsaved) man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God... Also, No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me.... Again, Herb, natural, in the Biblical sense means unsaved.... The Bible makes many references to just "man"= mankind...=men and women And, let me assure you that you have it all wrong when you say that I may have been exposed to some anti Roman Catholic rhetoric. I know what the Catholic church teaches, and other religions. I say no more. By the way, Herb, Religion is mans way of looking to God, and Christianity is God's way of looking to man. Oh, by the way, you also refer to my remark man, and no reference to women. In the Bible sense, when it says man, it does mean men and women.....mankind= men and women Religion won't get you to Heaven. You can go to church for ever and a day, and unless you receive Christ as your personal Saviour, then you know, as well as I do, what the end result will be. We are saved my grace, through faith, unto good works, and NOT by good works. There are lots of Religions in this world, however, if they don't preach that you must be saved, then, as you should know, there is a Hell to shun, and a Heaven to gain. Herb, you sound like you are AGAINST Bible Fundamentalists. We have a Fundamentalist church in this city, and maybe it would do you good to visit sometime. Judge NOT! Also, Herb, in your last comment about me in reference to having some exposure to some very un Christian, anti Roman Catholic, Fundamentalist rhetoric. Remember Herb, judge NOT, lest you be judged.GOD is the ONLY judge! Enjoy your day!

• Kevin foucher
    March 09, 2014 - 17:36

Come on. If you can't print any facts at all why print the story?

• Margie
    March 09, 2014 - 17:36

Lloyd IS quoting from the Bible; however, I don't know how it relates to this particular situation.

• Darrell
    March 09, 2014 - 17:16

Anyone who believes the Catholic church has learned from their forever ending wrongdoings are sadly mistaken. Power, abuse and corrupt are the first three things that come to mind and I'm sure there are lots more. Thankfully none of my families especially the little boys are not Catholic.

• kent
    March 09, 2014 - 16:52

I don't particularly agree with Lloyd's philosphy but he is entitled to his opinion, even if Glenn and company think their own are more important or profound....Which, by the way, they are not.

• Goldie
    March 09, 2014 - 14:28

Really people ?

• Glenn Stockley
    March 09, 2014 - 13:11

wow...you wont't print the truth when i submit it under my own name...but you will publish this garbage from lloyd...whoever he is...

• Lloyd
    March 09, 2014 - 08:17

A sign of the times. If more people would follow the Holy Bible, and prophecy, they would know things like this would be happening before our Lord comes in the clouds of Glory for his saints. Those that are dead in CHRIST, will rise first, and the remaining born again Christians will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air. And so we shall ever be with the Lord. It is called the Rapture of the Church. Just read Matthew and Revelation. The Holy Bible is more up to date then the newspaper of tomorrow. It doesn't mean a lot to the "natural" man. The natural man receiveth not the things of GOD, it is foolishness to him, but to those who are saved(born again) it is the power of Salvation.

• Darlene
      March 09, 2014 - 13:20

WOW...what a rambling useless statement you just made...WOW....

• George
      March 09, 2014 - 14:38

It's not his words, he's quoting from the Bible, sorry about that.

• Robb
      March 09, 2014 - 14:52

Hey Lloyd....can you please keep that crap to yourself. If you believe that garbage, good for you, but don't you dare preach that stupid stuff to me, or anyone for that matter. I may have beliefs myself, but you don't see me trying to tell you how to live your life. So please, go find a hobby and keep your mindless drivel to yourself.

• Believer
      March 09, 2014 - 17:47

Lloyd is just another one of those FANATIC RELIGIOUS PEOPLE who knows absolutely nothing about REALITY in this world and interprets the BIBLE to meet his own FANTASIES. Nobody has even come back from PARADISE to tell us what it is like there either. Please learn how to read the Bible properly. It has been translated THOUSANDS of times by MAN and not GOD. If the fanatic religious people all rise up again, then there will be more religious Chaos.

• Marshall Art
      March 09, 2014 - 20:45

Yeah, sure, Lloyd, have a few more rum & Cokes and you'll meet the Lord up in the air.