RNC says don’t call if damage under $2,000 in motor vehicle collision

Josh
Josh Pennell

That is, unless there are injuries or indications of impairment

The RNC is reminding people of how and when to properly report a motor vehicle collision to avoid their communications offices being inundated with unnecessary calls.

RNC

Const. Geoff Higdon says their communications division gets a lot of calls in general, many of which aren’t even police related.

“People call us for everything. That’s what people do with police. That’s how we work,” he says.

Specifically in the case of motor vehicle accidents, though, a collision only need be reported to the RNC when the damage exceeds $2,000, or in the case of injury.

“We only show up if there’s any issues with injuries, extreme damage or the vehicles can’t be moved from the road,” Higdon says.

If there aren’t any injuries and the damage is small, there isn’t any need to call the RNC.

“People could just exchange information and move their vehicles and that’s it.”

In the situation of no injuries but the damage is over $2,000, if the vehicles can be moved, Higdon suggests people move them and then go to an RNC office to file the report.

“If we went to every single collision then we would literally be tied up with just collisions all the time.” RNC Const. Geoff Higdon

It used to be that accidents with damage exceeding $1,000 were to be reported to the RNC, but that was changed in the Highway Traffic Act to $2,000.

Higdon says if an officer responds they will generally do up an accident report regardless if the amount of damage is greater than $2,000 but they would like people to keep the proper procedure in mind.

“If we went to every single collision then we would literally be tied up with just collisions all the time,” he says.

Any collisions where there have been injuries or it is suspected that a driver may be impaired by drug or alcohol should be reported to police by dialing 911.

josh.pennell@thetelegram.com

Comments

Comments

• J
    March 13, 2014 - 09:15

That's right, the police other important duties like go around and harrassing people with their windows tinted (for the record I do not).

• Brad
    March 13, 2014 - 08:09

Daphne: A person who isn't familiar with town can still determine if you were at fault in an accident or not. If you didn't have an indicator on, or were stopped for no reason in the middle of a roadway without an indicator (like many drivers here in spite of all their infinite wisdom), then an accident can be your fault...and should be.

• Daphne
      March 13, 2014 - 10:48

Brad: I had my indicator on (I am not one of thsoe peple who does not know what the indicator lights are, I am a faithful user of them) and I was not stopped in the middle of the road, I was turning into a parking lot properly....I drive a big white truck...sticks out like a white elephant...he claims he did not see me, ...... the insurance adjuster had no clue that Topsail Road had 5 lanes or where St. John's was (which province)....maybe she should have done research...anyway this article was about cops showing up when called to an accident scene not about critizing me or my driving

• Daphne
    March 13, 2014 - 07:22

I was in an accident in 2012 and a gentleman who was not wearing his glasses hit the back of my truck as I was turning into a parking lot....police was called and they would not come out.....insurance agent (from the mainland who knew nothing of St. John's) deemed it to be my fault, may have had a different outcome if the cops had showed up.......go figure....I was rear ended in January past and again police was called twice and no one would come out.....I am injured with a very damamged shoulder and upper back injuries and over $3000 damages done to my truck and I would say about $5000 done to his SUV......cops would not come out.....I took lots of pictures and I do believe thats what helped speed things along.......take pics, take pics, take pics...I ever took pics of his registration and insurance papers to pass along to the cops and my lawyer and insurance.......I hate driving!!!.

• Joe
    March 13, 2014 - 07:04

With every lawyer in the phone telling you they are ambulance chasers, when aren't there injuries in an accident?

• Julia
    March 12, 2014 - 21:52

I had an accident a few years back that was ultimately deemed my fault by insurance, however, the vehicle was on my side of the yellow line when I hit it. We didn't call police and exchanged info and filed reports seperatly. BIGGEST MISTAKE I have made as a driver. When I challenged the insurance company, they said there weren't witnesses and no police report to support my story of events. Besides.. How do you know right away if there is more than $2000 worth of damage? And let me tell you, that amount isn't hard to reach when it comes to vehicle repairs

• Contender
      March 13, 2014 - 06:48

Always get an accident report. Always. Don't listen to the RNC. Your insurer will tell you the same.

• Jon
      March 13, 2014 - 07:08

You are right, it doesn't take very much these days to do $2,000 worth of damage.