Breen running for the Tories in Virginia Waters

James
James McLeod

St. John’s city council member Danny Breen will run for the PC Party in the district of Virginia Waters, hoping to fill the seat that former premier Kathy Dunderdale held.

Danny Breen

Breen sent out a media statement this morning, saying that he’s seeking the Tory nomination.

“I am looking forward to the upcoming campaign and continuing to work for the residents of Virginia Waters,” said Breen. “I understand the issues of residents living in the district and I believe I can be an effective representative in the House of Assembly.”

The announcement comes just a few months after Breen won re-election as councillor for Ward 1 in the City of St. John’s last fall.

This sets up a byelection race between three political heavyweights: businesswoman Cathy Bennett, who ran for the Liberal leadership, is representing the grits. Former municipal politician Sheilagh O’Leary, who ran for mayor of St. John’s last fall, is running for the NDP.

Premier Tom Marshall hasn’t called the byelection yet, but in the House of Assembly Thursday, he said that he’d be setting a date very soon.

Geographic location: Virginia Waters

Comments

Comments

• Dolf
    March 16, 2014 - 11:43

Another Williams plant. He was always Danny's flunky anyway.

• Dave
    March 14, 2014 - 11:55

So doesn't Breen already have two public pensions? How many more does need?

• Joe
    March 14, 2014 - 10:21

Technically he wasn't re-elected. I didn't get a chance to vote for someone else. Also I would like to know if he is going to resign from Council. This I assume would after receiving the nomination.

• Prescient
      March 15, 2014 - 11:37

Breen has stated that he will not resign from council. According to the rules, he must take an unpaid leave of absence but he only has to resign if he wins. If he loses he goes back on council as if nothing happened. Of course, he could choose to resign at any time, but he has said he will not do that.

• BAYMAN
    March 14, 2014 - 10:08

Good Heavens. Cannot the PC's do better than this.

• Gerald B.
    March 14, 2014 - 09:40

Breen and O'Leary are both good candidates. Both are better than Cathy Bennett. Bennett brings a lot of baggage. She is a NALCOR board alumni. She shares the responsibility for Muskrat. She is still a Muskrat booster. She might be able to operate a franchise - which is like a business for dummies - but she clearly has no grasp of economics. Worse still - she lacks judgement. All that said, I will probably vote for her - that coming from someone who has always voted Tory. I will probably go into the polling booth holding my nose. It makes no difference who represents the Tories, my conscience would not allow me to vote for the government that has brought this province closer to ruin than any since the days of Joe Smallwood. No government more secretive, more devious, more incompetent, more arrogant. Dunderdale retired by popular demand; now we have to retire her government. And it falls to us in Virginia Waters to start the process. If Breen had opted to run for the Liberals, I would have voted for him in a flash. If O'Leary wasn't tied to a party and leader with absolutely no prospect of winning an election, I would vote for her. But you can only choose from what's on offer, and what's on offer that represents a party that can form a new government is Cathy Bennett. I admit I'd feel better about it if she came with a Ball guarantee that he would never put her in a cabinet position.

• Jon
      March 14, 2014 - 09:50

So, you are admitting she is a horrible candidate, but you are going to vote for her?? Excellent logic.

• JJ
      March 14, 2014 - 10:55

So O'Leary doesn't have baggage? Remember that fence? The only reason the NDP are running O'Leary is that they are hoping a high profile person will snag a seat for them , if O'Leary can't win it for them, they will sink into oblivion.

• Mildred
      March 14, 2014 - 12:54

@Jon - I guess you're not aware that most people vote for the party - not the candidate. In this case, I would completely agree that getting rid of a lousy government is more important than voting for a particular candidate. When you live in a city like St. John's, not sure how important the MHA is anyway. This district was represented by a premier. Can you name anything in particular which she delivered for her district? Nothing wrong with the logic as far as I'm concerned.

• JJ's Fence
      March 14, 2014 - 13:08

What are you talking about JJ? The fence? You mean that she was against spending half-million city taxpayers money to build a fence around the harbour that wasn't needed and, if it was, should have come from the Port Authority. O'Keefe and most of the councillors wanted to throw money at a fence. So you think O'Leary is the one who can't be trusted with the public's money? Get a life!

• Jon
      March 14, 2014 - 13:32

Mildred, Answer me this. If you knowingly vote for incompetent people, you are going to end up with an incompetent party and ultimately an ineffective and "lousy" government as you put it. So, how are you any further ahead? You now have a lousy government wearing red ties as opposed to a lousy government wearing blue ties. Go figure. I would rather have people that are good at their job, regardless of colour.

• GMD
    March 14, 2014 - 08:43

Great news ,now he`s off council

• ffh340
    March 14, 2014 - 08:41

Great news ,now he`s off council

• Jon
    March 14, 2014 - 08:41

I think this will be a win for PCs. Danny seems to be a good leader and has a lot of respect amongst his constituents. People don't seem overly impressed with Cathy Bennett and nothing against Shelaigh, but the NDP support is in decline since the whole fiasco.

• joebennett
      March 14, 2014 - 09:37

Do the name " Danny " mean that he's a good leader and respect with his constituents ? Tell me where he gets those qualifications.

• Jon
      March 14, 2014 - 09:56

Yes joebennett, just because his name is Danny means he is qualified. That is exactly what I meant.