Hostage-taking nets man 18 months

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A St. John's man who took part in a 2013 prison riot that was said to have involved a hostage-taking has been sentenced to 18 months in jail.

Julian Matthew Squires was sentenced to 18 months in jail Monday in provincial court in St. John’s for his part in a riot and hostage taking at Her Majesty’s Penitentiary last summer. — Photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

Julien Matthew Squires was sentenced Monday in provincial court in St. John’s.

The 26-year-old was on remand at Her Majesty’s Penitentiary at the time of the incident and was given credit for the 102 days he’s spent in custody. That leaves 14 1/2 months left on his term.

Squires pleaded guilty last week to hostage-taking and mischief by damaging property at HMP.­

“I made a mistake and I want to put this behind me,” Squires told Judge David Orr. “I want to start a new life when I get out (of jail).”

Squires was one of six inmates arrested in connection with the incident, but the only one to plead guilty to the more serious offence of hostage-taking.

Justin Owens and Philip Hollihan both pleaded guilty to obstructing, interrupting or interfering with the lawful use or operation of property. Owens was sentenced to six months in jail. Hollihan will be sentenced April 15.

Justin Hopkins pleaded guilty to mischief by damaging property.

Justin Wiseman and Adam Hayden are having a preliminary inquiry instead of a trial, as originally planned.

All six were also originally charged with hostage-taking, stemming from an incident that happened Aug. 5 of last year.

The prisoners reportedly caused a riot, taking an inmate as hostage. The men demanded cigarettes in exchange for the hostage.

The damage to HMP was said to have been extensive, with broken doors, smashed windows and ceilings and walls ruined.

The group’s rampage caused close to $100,000 in damage to the 3B unit.

The prisoners involved in the riot threatened to kill the hostages and corrections officers. They demanded cigarettes.

When officers delivered the cigarettes, hostages were released. The inmates surrendered shortly afterwards.

Squires was said to have been involved in the negotiations with police by shouting through a window.

Orr’s sentence was in keeping with a recommendation by defence lawyer Nick Avis, who said that identity was an issue in the case. While the inmates were masked and it was dark, Squires was spotted on a surveillance camera by his voice and body language.

Crown prosecutor Shawn Patten had suggested a 21-month sentence.

In handing down his decision, Orr noted that Squires has a history of not abiding by court orders and that the trouble he caused at HMP was just another example of how Squires refused to abide by rules.

Squires is also banned from having weapons for the rest of his life.

Twitter: @TelyCourt

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Kevin Power
    March 25, 2014 - 09:42

    Time to bring back the Penal Colonies. Ship this guy and his cohorts off to some isolated place and let them take care of themselves and abide by their own set of rules. Get them away from decent, law abiding citizens.

  • Agree
    March 25, 2014 - 09:18

    They do so much damage and ruin people's lives , then say I am sorry (maybe) and don't have to fix things. They should have to fix the damage before they get released. At least they will have something to do while they are in there.

  • original townie
    March 25, 2014 - 07:00

    Would it be unreasonable to expect if you damage someone else's property you pay to restore it back to it's original condition? Really, $100k damage and you walk away "scot" free with a smirk on your face. I want to start a new life when I get out but don't want to be responsible for any of my old life. If only victims lives were so easy going. Zero consequences. Am I missing something here?