Comments

Comments

• justagraduate
    April 01, 2014 - 15:21

But what about those in this generation who have already completed studies within Newfoundland, and can't find work in their field of study and are unable to even start paying back their student loans? Why not help them too? I for one have a student loan and graduated last year, I'm still working a minimum wage job, and trust me it's not because I haven't tried beyond wits end to get a job in my field of study. I even check the job postings everyday. I'm in repayment assistance and unable to even make payments on my loan. At this rate, I don't know when I will be able to, it's discouraging as a young adult to feel that pressure. Maybe I should have taken a year off when I graduated high school to reap the benefits of paying half of what I now owe to the government.

• Regular Joe
    March 28, 2014 - 14:57

Here we go, lets just give everyone a free ride. Spend thousands of taxpayers $'s on some university degree that gives no benefit in the real world. If graduating students are so concerned with repaying debt pick a profession with a higher rate of return on the investment. What is wrong with learning to pay your own way in life and not expecting someone else to pick up the tab for your bad decisions. I am sick of paying half my wages out in taxes to make life easier for those without the drive to pull their own weight.

• A. Fox
    March 27, 2014 - 19:38

Up-front non-repayable grant assistance for a BA ?...come on. What a waste of taxpayers' money. Gee, I didn't know NL was so rich! I am not against higher education but what are we doing here ? Talk about entitlement!I can see giving incentives to students completing degrees or trades in areas where there is a demand for more Newfoundland graduates. The government's plan will become an expensive gravy train with many tax payers financing their own children's education as well as others. Studying hard for scholarships and borrowing money to attend university used to develop a student's responsibility and accountability. High achievers can now put the books away! You may as well take the free ride like the rest of them. Those grants can buy an awful lot of beer!

• Eddy
      March 28, 2014 - 13:51

There is widespread debt in the upcoming generation because of ridiculous tuition fees, forcing young adults to borrow $30,000 with little chance of landing a decent job after graduating. You're deluded if you think every students can just apply for grants and earn scholarships.

• Silas Pritchard
    March 27, 2014 - 18:43

I'm moving from BC to go to memorial. Does this mean I get tuiton freezes too? I assume this is just for residents.

• Graeme
      March 28, 2014 - 14:38

No, the tuition freeze is for all domestic students, so any Canadian (and permanent resident??) can avail of the freeze.

• Need
    March 27, 2014 - 16:48

Govt needs to explain the pension liability. I think they are trying to scare the public. Is the number what they owe as of today or over the next 20 years. What is included? How is it calculated?

• Joe
    March 27, 2014 - 15:41

We are running a deficit. Get those business taxes back up to 25%!!!

• Marlene
    March 27, 2014 - 15:31

Notice how all the big promises are scheduled to take effect when the PCs are not the government anymore? And if by some miracle they did manage to hang on to power, do you really think they would honour their promises? How phoney can you get - this budget is worthless.

• Guy Incognito
    March 27, 2014 - 14:16

As predicted, here comes the pre-election spending to make the public forget about how bad our government has been. The Tories are toast. Nothing they can do to change that now.....

• Not So Bad!
    March 27, 2014 - 14:16

What a great budget for the government and the public! There is something there for everyone (students, low-incomers, seniors, business owners...). The people who got it the worst were public servants, who were basically told, "Look, we can largely avoid the cuts proposed a year ago by Dunderdale, but in order to cover pensions liabilities, we need to either cut your benefits or you are going to have to pay higher into your own retirment pension plan." Now, if that's the worst, that's not so bad.

• Jack
    March 27, 2014 - 13:59

The major concern with the 2014-2015 budget is the considerable gap between the projected deficit and net debt, which not only doesn't add up, but also violates the laws of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). For example, while the projected budget deficit is $537.9 billion, the net debt will be $2 billion higher from the low of a few years back, a gap of over $1.461 billion. In real life, if a Chartered Professional Accountant had a big deficit or loss gap on their financial statements, he/she would be jailed by now, but not Premier Marshall or Charlene Johnson, and that's not right. The other problem with the budget is no money being allocated to completely pave Phase II and III of the Trans Labrador Highway, especially the Red Bay to Cartwright Junction and Cartwright Junction to Happy Valley - Goose Bay section. Third problem with the budget is lack of commitment to change the Municipalities Act to outlaw towns from charging the Poll Tax which discriminates against seniors, disabled persons, low income earners and students, and for a province that will host the 2016 Special Olympics Canada Winter Games in less than two years from now, this is grossly unacceptable. Two thumbs down for this budget, Charlene Johnson.