Danny goes campaigning with Breen

James
James McLeod

The Virginia Waters byelection is a high stakes contest for all three parties, so Wednesday the PC Party brought out the big guns.

Former Newfoundland premier Danny Williams was at MacMorran Community Centre in St. John's this afternoon for a meet-and-greet alongside Virginia Waters Tory candidate Danny Breen. — Photo by James McLeod/The Telegram

Former premier Danny Williams was at MacMorran Community Centre for a meet-and-greet alongside Tory candidate Danny Breen.

Williams, who famously once said that former premiers should “shut up and go away,” acknowledged with a laugh that he's disobeying his own advice.

“I remember a former premier said that he should shut up and go away, but he didn't take his own advice,” Williams said. “I just think it's important that the people of the province are reminded, basically, of how good the Conservative government has been for the province. You know, things have never looked better.”

Virginia Waters is former premier Kathy Dunderdale's old seat, and for the Tories the byelection is a chance to prove that the government can still win. The Liberal party, which has surged to first in the polls, desperately wants a win to keep up the momentum. Since a messy caucus revolt and public meltdown last year, the New Democrats want to prove that they're still legitimate contenders.

Against that backdrop, Williams was shaking hands and talking to reporters Wednesday.

“Danny has done a lot of great community service and I'd just like to see him in this government. I think he'd perform a great service to the residents of this district,” Williams said. “I think it's important, you know, and people need to remember what it was like 10 to 12 years ago in this province. I mean, as a result of the Conservative government, there's been tremendous changes in this province.”

Breen said Williams was a big help to his campaign. Right now, the campaigns say that it'll likely be neck-in-neck up to the April 9th voting day.

“Having Danny's support is fantastic. People like him, people enjoy him, people respect his contributions,” Breen said. “I think this is going to be a very close race, and you know, it's all going to come down to talking to the people and getting the vote out on election day, and that's what we're focused on.”

Williams was also asked about the Tory leadership race while he was talking to reporters. He's said that he's against businessman Bill Barry's candidacy, but he wouldn't endorse a candidate.

“I won't be making an endorsement in this particular leadership,” he said. “I have said who I won't endorse, though.”

jmcleod@thetelegram.com

Twitter: TelegramJames

Organizations: Tory, MacMorran Community Centre

Comments

Comments

• 55CARES
    April 03, 2014 - 07:47

Breen says having the support of Williams is invaluable. I bet having Danny Breen’s support was invaluable for the deal between the Icecaps and the use of Mile One. They are friends? Did Breen play a major role in negotiating that deal? Are the taxpayers still subsidizing Mile One? I thought once an anchor tenant was in place there will be no more subsidies. Have they ever release the details of that deal? Was it the same deal that the Fog Devils were given?

• sc
    April 02, 2014 - 18:26

Just one more reason not to vote Conservative. In a way it's sad that even in desperate times all the Cons can think of doing to rejuvenate the party is bring back an old 'has been'. I guess if you can't think of anything new, this is all that's left. Sad, really.

• SayWhat
    April 02, 2014 - 18:01

Wanna bet there was a Tory internal poll done that shows they are in deep trouble. Otherwise why would DW show up. Where is the anointed one? This would be a good test to show his leadership and political skills. But if you read Uncle Gnarly, the anointed one has a lot of trouble playing a room. Just not a people person.

• Huck
    April 02, 2014 - 17:12

I'd say that Danny Breen just got the kiss of death.

• Guy Incognito
    April 02, 2014 - 16:33

AB(Mc)C

• Corporate Psycho
    April 02, 2014 - 16:18

Is this guy ever going away? BTW isn't Breen a Liberal?

• Jed
    April 02, 2014 - 16:14

Isn't it time we ushered the Danny Williams government out the door once and for all? We have two chances coming up. Either Bill Barry becomes leader of the PC party or we vote for Dwight Ball and the Liberals in the coming election.

• Trevor
    April 02, 2014 - 15:34

During the 10 years Danny was in office, my salary tripled, and is still climbing. Because of that, anything he touches will have my full support.

• david
      April 03, 2014 - 09:08

Wow. Just think what you might make if you were better at and interested in doing your job !? What am I saying? That's just crazy talk.....Hallelujah Danny, God bless the government, Amen !

• Guy Incognito
    April 02, 2014 - 15:14

Enough Danny. It's time to give it up. You had your time in the sun, now you are need to stop getting involved in everything. I guess it Liberal for me....

• Marshall Art
    April 02, 2014 - 14:33

Danny Breen signed up as a Liberal supporter last year even though he was and is a PC. An indication that he'd jump ship faster than Paul Lane if he thought it would benefit Danny Breen.

• Oh my
    April 02, 2014 - 14:33

One set of rules for Danny Williams, another for the other former premiers. He told them to shut up and go away, and said he would once he left office. But the spotlight and personal interests are too great for our King to stay in the shadows forever. Disgusting, and shows how desperate he is and how desperate the Breen campaign is with a week left. Clearly, for the King to come out from the shadows, the Breen campaign isn't the strongest. Pathetic.

• How quaint but...
    April 02, 2014 - 14:32

Hmm, wouldn't the immediate ''former Premier'' be a more relevant choice. It was her district after all. Oh, wait a sec.... never mind.

• Graham
    April 02, 2014 - 14:00

Desperate or what? Thanks King Danny you convinced me its time to VOTE LIBERAL this time.

• saelcove
      April 02, 2014 - 14:45

The man that caused all the problems wants to help LOL

• Yo mama
      April 03, 2014 - 08:31

Tell us Sael cove, to which "problems" are you referring?

• joebennett
    April 02, 2014 - 13:36

Boy, some people just won't go away. Give it up Danny, you got your piece of land. Trying to get the cons elected to hide all the dirty laundry won't work. Like you said before, ABC the next time - but in NL.

• Bert
      April 02, 2014 - 15:22

Successful people causes lesser people to stoop to envy which leads to jealousy.