Husky killed in woods

Andrew
Andrew Robinson

Found dead shortly after Main Brook family received dog

Earlier this week, Élaine Pinard gave a two-year-old Siberian Husky to a family living in Main Brook.
“I put him aboard their truck (on Sunday), and the kids were all happy. I think I did the best for the dog and the family.”
Unfortunately, the dog’s stay with the family was not a long one. A day after its arrival in Main Brook, the dog managed to escape from a chain and scamper into the woods. The family later found it dead in the woods.

A two-year-old dog Élaine Pinard recently gave to a family in Main Brook, not unlike the one pictured above, was found dead in the woods Monday. — Submitted photos

“Somebody shot him,” said Pinard.

The family did not see anyone in the area at that time, leaving the circumstances surrounding the dog’s death uncertain.

“(The mother) had to send her two kids to school crying because they loved that dog,” said Pinard, who lives a four-hour drive away from Main Brook in Wiltondale. “That was the worst.”

According to Pinard, who moved with her dogs to Newfoundland nine years ago and is an avid dogsledder, Siberian Huskies are not commonly found on the island.

“Nobody is really aware of Siberian Huskies or dogsledding no more, and it’s been hard to bring back the tradition here. People are thinking those dogs are aggressive or whatever, but I’ve been selling puppies for nine years here, and I’ve got 600 customers who are very happy. They come back and they buy dogs from me.”

Her dogs produce anywhere from 20 to 30 puppies annually.

The dog that was shot was wearing a red collar and would have weighed between 65 and 70 pounds, which makes it all the more surprising to Pinard that someone would shoot it.

“He has a pink nose. There’s no wolves with a pink nose. If they had a 12-gauge (shotgun), they would have seen that, because you’ve got to shoot close range.”

If the person had used a rifle, Pinard suspects the shot would have come from a longer distance, increasing the likelihood the shooter could have mistaken the dog for a wild animal.

“My dog didn’t look like a wolf or a coyote,” she said, adding that a wolf would have been twice the size of the Siberian Husky.

“I’d like to find out who did it, because that’s a sin. That’s dangerous. Those kids could have been with that dog.”

According to Pinard, the family has contacted the local RCMP detachment and wildlife officials.

arobinson@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TeleAndrew

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Wiltondale, Newfoundland

Comments

Comments

• Alicia
    April 04, 2014 - 20:40

Wow, very very tragic. So sad.

• bill
    April 04, 2014 - 05:13

Before you get your gun licence you shoudl have to learn to identify animals. There is no part of the hunting/firearms course that teaches you what you are allowed and not allowed to shoot. After I got mine I as well as hundreds of other new hunters went out in the woods with a gun and didn't even know what was legal and what wasn't.

• Danielle
    April 03, 2014 - 18:51

I don't agree with grouping all Newfoundlander 's as dumb, that's just not fair, to Newfoundlander's, or to any group. Basing your view on the few to judge the rest that's stereotyping. I will agree that getting a hunting licence is not regulated strongly enough in both knowing how to identify wildlife and safe hunting practices. That is definitely lacking. Also I would like to point out the coyote is new to the island, the first sighting was in 1989. Newfoundland coyote's have been sighted to look grayer and we also have the worlds only white coated coyotes (not albino, white like polar bears) so a mild resemblance can be noted to someone who's not familiar. Also one thing from the article that's not true, husky's are not in short demand on the island. They are everywhere, and we also have a lady on the west cost that breads Siberians and offers dog sledding. I love my dogs and my heart goes out to the family for there loss, I would be devastated that is my biggest fear when hiking with my dogs so I always have super bright noticeable bandannas on them. White coyote National geographic http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/01/21/snow-coyotes-and-spirit-bears/

• Sky
    April 03, 2014 - 11:22

The husky in the picture isn't a picture of toto, the husky in the picture is majorette another husky from Elaine's pack. Also toto was shot on the ice not in the woods.

• MarcA
    April 03, 2014 - 09:37

Typical Newfoundlanders.

• west coast
    April 03, 2014 - 07:07

a few years ago on the west coast two 16 year olds shot a huskey on a hiking trail thinking it was a coyote... there were people with this dog... those kids got off scott free and their parents think they did nothing wrong. if you can't tell the difference between a domestic animal and a wild animal should you have a licence to hunt coyotes? they still do!

• Kent
    April 03, 2014 - 06:41

I'm guessing the idiot that shot the dog probably mistaken it for a wolf or coyote. Given the fact that most of the morons wandering around the NFLD wilderness with guns are usually 3-sheets- to-the wind half of the time

• Lloyd
    April 03, 2014 - 06:14

The more that I hear of incidents like this I can see why the rest of Canada thinks we're as stupid as sticks. The mind set that says " If it's in the woods and moving then shoot it. " has got to change. The lady was right. There could have been people with that dog and one of them might have been killed. What would the "great white hunter " say then?