A man suspected of hitting and killing his girlfriend while driving drunk in Airport Heights last fall in St. John’s will likely be pleading guilty.
When the case of William Patrick Conway was called in provincial court this morning, lawyers told the judge they are working on an agreed statement of facts in the case.
William Conway, shown in this file photo from when he was first arrested in October, is now expected to plead guilty. — File photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram
Defence lawyer Michelle Coady and Crown prosecutor Jeff Summers said it would likely be completed when the case returned to court, April 23.
Conway, 50, appeared in court via video link from Her Majesty’s Penitentiary.
He’s been in custody since his arrest Oct. 24, 2013 — after he was said to have hit his girlfriend with his car.
At around 1:20 a.m. that morning, the 57-year-old woman’s body was found lying on the road on Firdale Drive, where it’s believed the two had lived together.
Police said Conway was drunk when he got behind the wheel of his vehicle, hit the woman and took off.
Officers picked him up a short time later at the ferry terminal in Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s.
In a previous court appearance, Conway had told reporters the woman’s death was an accident.
Conway is charged with impaired driving causing death, operating a motor vehicle while having a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit causing death, failing to remain at the scene of an accident with another person, failing to remain at the scene of an accident knowing there has been bodily harm and three counts of breaching court orders. Those breaches involve allegations that Conway assaulted Lewis on Aug. 14 of last year.
His lengthy criminal record also includes a charge of leaving the scene of an accident on Feb. 15, 2013, in Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s.