Roaming dog comes home with duct-tape message

Derek Montague

Owner calls it an act of animal cruelty

Kayla Everard of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is looking for whoever is responsible for an act of animal cruelty against her dog.
Sometime during the morning of April 21, Everard’s seven-year-old part-husky, Nanook, broke off his leash and went roaming in Spruce Park.

Nanook, a seven-year-old part-husky, broke off his leash recently. When the dog came back home, there was a message stuck to his fur.  — Submitted photo

When Nanook came back home, Everard was shocked to see a piece of duct tape stuck to the dog’s back. On the tape was a message telling the owners to keep their dog under control.

“I went to work yesterday morning and he had slipped out. He had a harness on when he left,” recalled Everard. “When he came back, he didn’t have the harness. He had a piece of duct tape taped to his back. The tape said, ‘Tie your dog on. I hope he’s fixed.’

“I was upset because I had to figure out how I was going to get it off without pulling the fur off. Luckily I didn’t get too much (fur).”

When Everard began taking the tape off Nanook, she noticed the dog was in discomfort. Luckily, she was able to take the tape off her dog without any lasting damage done.

“He tried to get away from me. It was causing him some pain, but I did it as slow as I could so I wouldn’t remove a lot of fur,” said Everard.

Everard admitted that Nanook often breaks free from his leash when he’s tied on. She said she and her husband have gone through four harnesses in 18 months. But Everard believes that’s no excuse for what was done to her beloved pet.

“For one thing, it’s animal cruelty. There’s no reason why there should have been anything taped to him,” said Everard.

“He’s very passive. I’m actually surprised that someone got the tape on him. I’m thinking it had to have been a female, because he’s very timid around males.”

The same day the incident occurred, Everard posted information about it on the Happy Valley-Goose Bay flea market page on Facebook. She was hoping to get information on who taped her dog. Instead, she said many of the Facebook comments blamed her for not having Nanook tied on.

“My post was deleted (by a flea market administrator) after I got some comments … saying I should keep my dog tied on, and things like that,” said Everard. “I definitely felt that I was being blamed for him getting out ... so I had felt like I had done something wrong.”

Everard is offering a reward to anyone with information about the incident.

The Happy Valley-Goose Bay SPCA is asking people to take responsible measures when dealing with loose dogs.

“Yes, people do get annoyed if there’s a roaming dog on their property or whatever. Sometimes, despite someone’s best efforts, sometimes they will get off their chain or break their chain,” said local SPCA public relations director Bonnie Learning.

“But, having said that, whoever did that act, there’s other options they could have taken. All they had to do was … call the owners and tell them to keep their animal tied on, instead of putting a piece of duct tape with a note on the dog. Or, they could have called the town to pick the dog up. If it’s roaming, that’s the town’s responsibility.”

Even though Learning has never seen an incident like this before, she believes the person responsible could be charged.

“If it was ever found out who did that, they could definitely be charged under the Animal Protection Act, no doubt,” said Learning.

“We have had several varying abuse cases come through our door in the past 13 years. But this is the first we’ve heard of this one before.”

The Labradorian

Geographic location: Happy Valley, Goose Bay

Comments

Comments

• Busty Jones
    May 01, 2014 - 16:12

A few dog owners ruin it for everyone else. For those that I'm referring too...Your dog, your dog crap. Some slow people think that their dog crap is your problem. If a dog owner isn't capable of balancing personal responsibility, the consideration of others, and dog ownership, then they need others around them to act as their parent, and treat them as a child who still hasn't figured things out yet. If a dog keeps getting loose on numerous occasions, figure out a better method to enclose your property, or deal with people rightfully being p*ssed off at you....Consider others, confront ignorance.

• Blaze Infernus
    May 01, 2014 - 01:59

The duct tape was wrong, but it is her fault. Why was the dog left outside while the family was away? Why didn't she learn from the last three times it happened??? Why didn't she shave the dog's fur to get the tape off? It would grow back, and then maybe she'd learn to keep him indoors in away from the elements. Unreal.

• Steve
    April 30, 2014 - 22:51

Leaving a dog chained up all day every day is worse abuse than putting duct tape on it. Why do you think the dog keeps breaking free? Get a fence, lock the gate, keep the dog in the yard. If you can't take care of the animal, you shouldn't have it.

• Gerald
    April 30, 2014 - 19:12

Why do you print stories like this, and with the prominence you give it on your paper?Shame on you. That lady needs to be charged not the person who left the message on the duct tape, which I am sure came off very easily. That woman should be reprimanded for not taking care of her dog. Roaming dogs, no matter how wonderful they are, can be very scary for whom ever they come in contact with while at large. Especially her big dog. Also, do your research, family dogs that are left to roam and end up in dog packs are extremely dangerous, and are known to kill for sport. It is a big deal that her dog is left to roam. It is not a big deal that a single strip of duct tape was found stuck to the fur of her dog. The dog did not feel it and when it came off the dog probably didn’t feel it either. There would be enough oily residue on the fur that the sticky nature of the tape would be minimal. I think the person who left the message probably called the dog over, gave it a treat and stuck the tape on. I have to wonder if dog owner would put a band aid on her children if they got a cut and then how would she take it off without being “cruel” to her kids. I think if you were to charge someone for leaving a friendly reminder on her dogs back you should also charge the owner for not taking appropriate measures to secure her dog. Apparently it happens often. Lets not get ridiculously sympathetic for the dog who probably felt nothing in the whole ordeal.

• ivan
    April 30, 2014 - 12:11

Yes lady, you should feel that it is your fault, you are lucky you do not live close to a animal farm, or fiddo would be in doggy heaven by now. Although I agree that animals(yes they are animals) should be tethered, I am surprised they have not deemed tethering as animal abuse.

• Boxer
    April 30, 2014 - 11:27

Never been to HVGB but guessing fences, kennels, stronger leashes etc are availible there. The other point is why is the dog left outside and not put inside the house when the owner is gone? Not animal abuse just someone pointing out the obvious, you can't fix stupid.

• Gerry.
    April 30, 2014 - 11:19

I was going to say I wish you would cease writing and publishing non-stories like this; however, there is one good reason, I would suggest, to publicize this item and that is to let people know know the level of juvenile mentality that walks among us. Why would anyone begin to complain about this situation to the media? According to the story the dog in question has broken free at least four times in eight months from his tether. Is that not often enough for the owner to realize a better and safer means of securing the animal was needed to be used to ensure the it would not break loose and wander all over the place, creating problems for the dog, the neighbours, pedestrians and drivers? This is unbelievable !!!!

• gerry
    April 30, 2014 - 10:57

agreed; stupid story. It's duct tape....ummmm couldn't she have cut the duct tape off? "ometimes, despite someone’s best efforts, sometimes they will get off their chain or break their chain,” said local SPCA "....I'm betting if the dog bit a child, the local SPCA would be tap dancing & singing a different song to a different tune. Animal abuse? It's duct tape, grow up

• Darlene
    April 30, 2014 - 10:47

Lady there is a new product out there it's called a CHAIN....now how simple is that...if you can't control your dog ....you shouldn't own one...cheers

• ab
    April 30, 2014 - 10:33

It is animal cruelty on both accounts. The people who duct taped the message should have just called the SPCA or pet control (if HVGB has one) and had the dog picked up. The owner is totally irresponsible and obviously does not have the time to deal with an active dog.

• Gord
    April 30, 2014 - 09:50

Stupid story. The owner is totally in the wrong letting his husky roam the town, regularly, because the owner is too lazy/cheap to control his pet. The dog was not hurt from the duct tape. End of story. Why is the Telegram reporting more on the duct tape instead of a delinquent owner? The bottom line, if places like HVGB continue to let their dogs roam free, especially large dogs like huskies, children will be bitten, and perhaps, killed by these kinds of roaming dogs. It is that simple folks. For this delinquent owner to be pissed that someone is pointing this out to them is amazing. The owner needs to grow up.

• AndyG
    April 30, 2014 - 08:25

That's not animal abuse. Animal abuse is letting your dog run free where he can be hit by a car, poisoned or kill other animals. Letting him run free four times in 18 months is negligence. Buy a kennel.

• Betelgeuse
    April 30, 2014 - 08:20

Goose Bay is now Beverely Hills. Did Justin Bieber also egg your house? Happy Valley residents acting like sad townies. Keeping sled dogs as house cats.

• Marshall Art
      April 30, 2014 - 16:33

@ Betelgeuse; you have to keep in mind that Happy Valley-Goose Bay is in another place and time. If you're not from there, you're 'from outside' as they will tell you, as if you were from Jupiter. Snowmobiles doing 360's on your front lawn at 2A:M, drivers not knowing what signal lights are used for, cases of beer in the golf bags of players who're half loaded on the course, etc. And if you've got a luxury vehicle, better make a few phone calls before you take it to HV-GB. You could end up having your wheels taken off to have your air conditioning fixed.

• Evan
    April 30, 2014 - 08:07

I think its pretty cowardly for the person who would use duct tape on a defenceless animal instead of calling the owner but I guess it says alot about the person. And its easy to blame the person who let the dog out right. But ya gotta go to work right,can't stay home like you would like and search for your dog . Just as easy to help instead of blame the person . If you want the person to change how she ties on her dog, show her the proper chain for her dog don't complain if her dog breaks free. I have a lot of neighbors with animals but I guess in my community we deal with stuff different . I would rather help than hinder.

• Marshall Art
    April 30, 2014 - 07:56

The dog often breaks free from his leash ? Well, duh, lady, that's a pitiful excuse. Buy a stronger leash. A roaming dog recently left a pile of excrement on a protective shrub covering on my front lawn. If I knew where that dog's owner lives, I'd deposit that stinkin' mess on their front step. Roaming cats are another nuisance. Owners calling out to their darling tinkerbells after they've roamed the entire street spraying and depositing their business on neighbours' flowers and plants.

• Really
    April 30, 2014 - 07:51

She went off to work and left the dog tied on. A dog that has a history of breaking free and roaming. Public safety comes before animal safety. I wonder if the SPCA is looking at having the dog removed from the current owner.

• Bob
    April 30, 2014 - 07:12

What would be worst, duct te on the dog or it getting off and getting struck by a vehicle or run into some other trouble, who would be considered the abuser than, bit of duct tape is the least of her worries, think about the dog if it had gotten struck by a vehicle or trapped somewhere. I ask is leaving the dog outdoors all day in all kinds of weather not cruel ? “I went to work yesterday morning and he had slipped out. He had a harness on when he left,” did you not look for him before going to work? I think before you start blaming others look at yourself. The person who put the tape there was telling you to take responsibly for your dog so it wouldn't be hurt! Pay attention and take good care of the dog.

• john
    April 30, 2014 - 06:39

First thing, I don't condone putting duct tape around the dogs neck. However.... Everard has had her dog break from the tether FOUR times, but does not understand that after the first time it occurred, that she should have done something differently? The woman is clearly an idiot!

• John
    April 30, 2014 - 06:18

The lady says that this is the 4th time in 18 months. The lady obviously needs to use something heavier to tie up their dog. A chain of the appropriate strength - not the flimsy chains sold in pet stores. As far as I'm concerned, she is the irresponsible one in this case and the cause of what happened to the dog.

• Robert
    April 30, 2014 - 05:49

The telegram is really getting hard up for stories these days!!!!

• Canuck
    April 30, 2014 - 05:18

This is not animal abuse! And neither is it a news story. If she was worried about hurting her dog while taking the tape off she could have used scissors to painlessly cut it off. I'd be more concerned with trying to do a better job of tethering the dog before it harms someone while loose.