A house fire Monday night on Elmer Place in Paradise caused extensive damage to the structure.
When firefighters arrived before 10 p.m. the house was filled with smoke. When they entered the structure, it burst into flames. Officials said it appeared a fire was smouldering for quite some time before firefighters arrived, using up available oxygen in the structure. When the building was entered, it was fed with new oxygen, creating the sudden onset of flames.
No one was home at the time. St. John’s police, firefighters and paramedics remain at the scene at 11 p.m. The fire was extinguished about 10:30 p.m.