A woman who says her boyfriend attacked her will have her statements heard in court — even if she has refused to testify.
© — File photo by Rosie Mullaley/The Telegram
Final arguments in the trial of Terry Hunt are scheduled to be presented Friday at Newfoundland Supreme Court in St. John’s. Hunt is accused of assaulting and sexually assaulting his girlfriend in 2012.
A Newfoundland Supreme Court judge has ruled that the woman’s testimony at the preliminary inquiry and her statement to police will be permitted into evidence in the case of her accused attacker Terry Hunt.
Hunt, 50, faces charges of sexual assault, assault and forcible confinement.
He was charged as a result of an incident that was said to have happened June 17, 2012, when the two were in a relationship.
The woman told police Hunt had attacked her. A police officer had testified in court that one side of the woman’s face was red and that she was wearing clothes that weren’t hers, since she had left the house wrapped in a towel.
But when Hunt’s trial began March 27, she was a no-show.
She showed up on Day 3 of the trial two weeks ago and got on the stand, but refused to answer any questions.
As a result of her refusal to testify, Crown prosecutor Jeff Summers had filed an application requesting that he be permitted to use her previous statements as evidence.
Justice Robert Hall decided to allow it.
When the case was called Monday, Summers and defence lawyer Tony St. George agreed to have the case set over until Friday, at which time they will present final arguments.
Hunt had been released from jail shortly after his arrest, but was taken back into custody two weeks ago for reportedly breaching conditions of his undertaking.