PCs won’t rule out a casino, but downplay the possibility

James
James McLeod

All three political parties seem to agree Newfoundland and Labrador doesn’t need a casino, but that isn’t stopping them from talking about it anyway.

NDP Leader Lorraine Michael raised it in question period in the House Monday, after Finance Minister Charlene Johnson said she would give consideration to a casino proposal if one came to the government.

Johnson said the government’s policy is still that it will not approve a casino. But despite that policy, she said if a proposal for a casino came forward, it would be considered.

“What I would say is that we are open-minded. We will always be open-minded for a casino or any other business proposal that comes before us,” she said. “We should only do that due diligence.”

Both the NDP and the Liberals made it clear they think a casino is a bad idea.

“Right now, I do not support setting up a casino in the province,” Liberal Leader Dwight Ball said.

So did incoming premier Frank Coleman, who told The Telegram Monday in a phone call that he wouldn’t rule it out categorically, but made it clear he’s not pushing to make it happen either.

“It isn’t an issue that would rank at the highest on my priority list,” he said.

Organizations: NDP

Comments

Comments

• guy incognito
    May 28, 2014 - 08:29

What difference does it make what the Tories think? They are all going to be run out of office next election anyway.......

• Virginia Waters
    May 27, 2014 - 14:22

What fitter location for an enterprise dedicated to separating fools from their money. That Gander-sized sandlot - playground of the rich and famous - the provenance of which remains fogged in obscurity and unfathomable government logic. Yet another opportunity to fatten the pockets of the rich on the backs of the poor, the desperate, the marginalized, the naive, the wannabe-rich, and those most susceptible to vice and addiction. Let's pretend that casinos, like other vices milked for the so-called common good, have no down side. Once the casinos have lured them in and sucked them dry, then we'll let the overburdened taxpayer bear the cost of the attendant crime, dependency and social dislocation. The health care, justice and social services departments are good for it, aren't they? Let them pick up the broken pieces. As long as we do nothing to slow the merciless onslaught of free enterprise. Let the free market reign until the suckers choke on it. Isn't that the prevailing political philosophy.

• Christopher
      May 27, 2014 - 20:00

You voted for O'Leary didn't you in the by-election.

• Come on with it!!
    May 27, 2014 - 13:44

We are the only province that don't have one. Get with the times. If people want to gamble they will find a way. Why not create jobs with a legit one, instead of people playing poker in someone's basement. It would be good for tourism, something to do here besides going cape spear and signal hill. ( yawn )..

• Christopher Chafe
    May 27, 2014 - 11:45

Personally I think a casino would be wonderful for Newfoundland & Labrador. I also think the perfect spot for this casino would be Glencrest along with a much larger stadium so that we can get decent acts to visit our province. That way Newfoundlanders and Labradorians can stay and spend their money in their province without having to fly to Halifax or Moncton or Toronto. Also bring some decent clothing stores as well please. Walmart and Target just do not cut it any more.

• a business man
      May 27, 2014 - 14:19

I posted earlier that I was in support of a casino for Newfoundland, but after reading the post from Christoper Chafe, I am not against a casino. Based on my various investments, Halifax, Moncton and Toronto are all far more important to me than is Newfoundland. Therefore, I would rather people have to leave Newfoundland and go to Halifax, Moncton or Toronto to spend there money. I would rather the money go to Halifax, Moncton or Toronto...I don't want the money to stay here. As a result, I now oppose a casino in Newfoundland. I would rather see the economic growth and money go to Moncton, Halifax or Toronto.

• Charles Murphy
    May 27, 2014 - 05:23

By any chance is this what the Pc's call diversification of our economy? Heaven help us.

• Maurice E. Adams
      May 27, 2014 - 09:57

And a caller to VOCM's Open Line suggested that DannyLand would be a good place for a casino.

• a business man
      May 27, 2014 - 14:16

I have no idea what the PCs conside diversification, but I certainly do think that this is a form of economic diversification, and a good one at that. Really, anything that creates new jobs and revenue is diversifications, whether it be casinos, brothels, or legal grow-ups. If it is a legitimate business that did not exist before, we have diversified. Personally, I welcome a casino because it will create lots of spin-off economic opportunities, and it may attracts visitors to Newfoundland.