UPDATE: Village reopens after early morning fire

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The Village Shopping Centre in St. John's has reopened after an early morning fire caused the building to be evacuated and temporarily closed.

The problem is believed to have originated in a ventilation unit on the roof and also by an electrical problem with one of the light switches.

 •••

(Earlier story)

Response to a fire at The Village Shopping Centre in St. John’s has been scaled back to one crew following this morning’s evacuation of the building.

Supt. Derek Chafe with the St. John’s Regional Fire Department said the call came in at 8:30 this morning that an alarm was sounding at the Village.

“When crews arrived they noticed smoke up on the second level and the strong odour of smoke down through the main part of the building,” Chafe said, outside the west-end shopping centre.

The reduced crew is investigating with electricians and building management, but Chafe said it looked as though the fire was caused by an issue with one of the air handling units on the roof and also by an electrical problem with one of the light switches.

Smoke has been cleared from the building and Chafe said the Village should open relatively soon. He also said it didn’t appear that this morning’s incident was in any way connected to electrical and water damage that shut the Village down for weeks just after Christmas.

There were no injuries in this morning's fire.

•••

(Earlier story)

Fire at Village Shopping Centre

The Telegram offices in the Village Shopping Centre in St. John's are closed this morning.

There have been reports of smoke and a possible electrical problem.

Several trucks are on the scene and firemen have gone into the building with axes.

The mall has been evacuated and is currently closed.

Click HERE for email contact information for The Telegram newsroom.

 

 

 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments