A man has been found guilty of sexually assaulting his girlfriend and holding her against her will â even without the womanâs testimony.
© â File photo by Rosie Mullaley/The Telegram
Terry Hunt. â Telegram file photo
The verdict was given this morning at Newfoundland Supreme Court in St. Johnâs at the conclusion of the trial for Terry Hunt.
Justice Robert Hall found the 50-year-old guilty of all three charges he faced â assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement.
Hunt was charged after an incident on June 17, 2012.
A police officer testified during the trial that the woman came to RNC headquarters that night to report that she had been assaulted by her boyfriend. The officer said one side of the womanâs face was red. The woman was wearing clothes that were not hers since she had fled the house wearing a towel.
But when the trial started last month, she didnât show up for court. When she did appear on the third day, she took the stand, but refused to testify.
As a result, Crown prosecutor Jeff Summers filed an application to have her testimony from the preliminary inquiry and her videotaped statement to police entered as evidence. After a hearing to argue the issue, the judge agreed.
In making his decision to convict on all charges, Hall said there was enough evidence to indicate Hunt had committed the offences.
He said there were abrasions and bruises on the womanâs face and upper body. Hunt had pulled her down on the couch, grabbed her shirt and held her down.
âThere was considerable grappling without her consent,â Hall said.
He said the womanâs previous statements, that Hunt had inserted his fingers or touched her vagina, were enough to convince him Hunt had done it.
He said there was also evidence that Hunt had unlawfully confined the woman, as he held her down and prevented her from leaving his house several times. When she finally managed to escape, she ran to a neighbourâs house.
A sentencing hearing is set for June 25.
Hunt is in custody, having been arrested for reportedly breaching conditions of his release by contacting the woman. Heâs due back in provincial court in June 2 to answer to that charge.