Man convicted of assaulting, confining girlfriend

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A man has been found guilty of sexually assaulting his girlfriend and holding her against her will  — even without the woman’s testimony.

Terry Hunt. — Telegram file photo

The verdict was given this morning at Newfoundland Supreme Court in St. John’s at the conclusion  of the trial for Terry Hunt.

Justice Robert Hall found the 50-year-old guilty of all three charges he faced — assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement.

Hunt was charged after an incident on June 17, 2012.

A police officer testified during the trial that the woman came to RNC headquarters that night to report that she had been assaulted by her boyfriend. The officer said one side of the woman’s face was red. The woman was wearing clothes that were not hers since she had fled the house wearing a towel.

But when the trial started last month, she didn’t show up for court. When she did appear on the third day, she took the stand, but refused to testify.

As a result, Crown prosecutor Jeff Summers filed an application to have her testimony from the preliminary inquiry and her videotaped statement to police entered as evidence. After a hearing to argue the issue, the judge agreed.

In making his decision to convict on all charges, Hall said there was enough evidence to indicate Hunt had committed the offences.

He said there were abrasions and bruises on the woman’s face and upper body. Hunt had pulled her down on the couch, grabbed her shirt and held her down.

“There was considerable grappling without her consent,” Hall said.

He said the woman’s previous statements, that Hunt had inserted his fingers or touched her vagina, were enough to convince him Hunt had done it.

He said there was also evidence that Hunt had unlawfully confined the woman, as he held her down and prevented her from leaving his house several times. When she finally managed to escape, she ran to a neighbour’s house.

A sentencing hearing is set for June 25.

Hunt is in custody, having been arrested for reportedly breaching conditions of his release by contacting the woman. He’s due back in provincial court in June 2 to answer to that charge.

Twitter: @TelyCourt

Organizations: Newfoundland Supreme Court

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page