The RCMP is asking children to help the force name six foals that will be born this spring at the RCMP breeding farm in Pakenham, Ont.
RCMP Musical Ride members. — File photo courtesy of Jennifer Dowden, RCMP
The foals may one day be part of the world-famous RCMP Musical Ride.
"I am delighted to invite youth from across Canada to submit their name suggestions for our 2014 foals," said Supt. Leslie Cook, the officer in charge of the Musical Ride Branch.
"The Name the Foal contest is an annual tradition we look forward to, thanks largely to the enthusiasm and creativity of the participants."
To qualify, entries must meet the following criteria:
• names must begin with the letter "L" and must be six letters or less;
• entries must include the entrant's name, age, address and telephone number, as well as the suggested name for the foal;
• entrants must be 14 years old or younger;
• only one entry per child will be eligible;
• online entries must be received no later than July 7.
• In the event of duplicate winning names, the first entry received will be accepted.
Winning names will be chosen by instructors of the RCMP Musical Ride Branch.
Contest winners will be announced in September and their names, along with the foal's name, will be posted on the RCMP website. Winners will receive a number of RCMP prizes such as a signed Stetson worn by a Musical Ride member, a framed picture of the foal, t-shirt, pins and more.
Entries can be sumitted online at: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/mr-ce/foal-poulain-eng.htm
Or through mail to:
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Musical Ride Branch
c/o RCMP Name the Foal Contest
PO Box 8900
Ottawa, ON. K1G 3J2