Crown puts attempted murder charge against Randell on hold

Gary
Gary Kean
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The Crown has entered into a stay of proceedings in the prosecution of the attempted murder charge against Herman Boyd Randell.
Randell, 43, is accused of beating a woman nearly to death in Englee in November 2010.

Herman Boyd Randell is seen in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador in Corner Brook on Thursday, March 6. 2014.

In April, Justice David Hurley ruled in favour of a defence application filed in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador in Corner Brook.

Since then, the case was sent to the province’s public prosecutions office for review.

When the matter was called before Hurley again Monday morning, Crown attorney Lori St. Croix requested the stay of proceedings. She said the Crown is pursuing another avenue of investigation and should know more about that within about a month.

With a stay of proceedings, the Crown has 12 months to decide if it will prosecute the case,

St. Croix said the Crown will either decide to resume the prosecution or to call no evidence in the case. Calling no evidence would, in all likelihood, precipitate an acquittal of Randell.

The evidence presented during the defence application is subject to a publication ban, but St. Croix said after court had adjourned Monday there was an issue with identifying the accused as the perpetrator of the attack.

No new court date has been set, but St. Croix told Hurley and defence lawyer Peter Chaffey that she anticipated the Crown would decide on how it will proceed by the end of June.

Organizations: Supreme Court

Geographic location: Englee, Newfoundland and Labrador

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments