Woman sentenced for assault, theft

Rosie Mullaley
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A woman who fought violently with security guards in an attempt to get away after stealing things from a St. John’s department store has been sentenced to a jail term of eight months and one week.

Ashley Elizabeth Ryan - Telegram file photo

Ashley Elizabeth Ryan was sentenced today at provincial court in St. John’s.

Judge Jim Walsh said the eight-month sentence is not unduly harsh, but is severe enough to deter like-minded people.

During Ryan’s sentencing hearing last week, Crown prosecutor Elizabeth Ivany recommended Ryan go to prison for up to a year.

Defence lawyer Ken Hollett said a three- or four-month jail term was more appropriate.

Ryan (who also goes by the surname Oliver) was found guilty of theft under $5,000, mischief by damaging property, assault causing bodily harm and two counts of assault with a weapon.

She was arrested on Sept. 15, 2012 after an incident at Pipers on Topsail Road. She had walked into the store and taken items — including furniture and picture frames — and left without paying. When two security guards approached her on the parking lot, Ryan became angry and violent.

She stomped on one man’s feet and bit him.

The guards struggled with her, but she continued to fight. It became so serious, two men passing by stopped to help the guards.

During the struggle, Ryan pulled a can of bear spray out of her purse and sprayed the men. She also kicked a vehicle in the parking lot.

“I’ve had a number of cases in which (the person) used a weapon after a theft — most edged weapons,” Walsh said. “It appears a simple case of shoplifting is being turned into something more serious with carrying a weapon.”

Ryan was released on bail shortly after her arrest.

She had one conviction for theft from a few years ago on her criminal record. She was given a conditional discharge.

At the sentencing hearing, Ryan apologized for what she did.

When she was arrested, she told the police she was having a bad reaction to medication.

But Walsh pointed out that Ryan remained hostile after her arrest and even during the trial.

“Her empathy for the victims was sorely lacking at trial,” the judge said.

Ryan was escorted out of court in handcuffs to serve her first custodial sentence.


Geographic location: Topsail Road

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Marshall Art
    June 09, 2014 - 09:38

    Ah, the 'fairer sex'. She stomped on a security guard's feet, bit him, sprayed him with bear spray, kicked a vehicle, and was so violent that the guards needed assistance from two male pedestrians to control her ? The guards showed great restraint . Some people might have reacted more forcefully by twisting her like a pretzel and forcing her to the ground.