Animal shot in Port Blandford proven to be a wolf

Jonathan Parsons

Biological testing shows the animal was from Labrador

An animal killed in Port Blandford in February was a wolf.

David Hann with the 32 kilogram wolf he shot in February. Biological testing proved it was a wolf that probably made its way to Newfoundland from Labrador via the ice floes.

Deborah Thomas of the Department of Environment and Conservation informed The Packet last week that biological testing had determined the animal was a Labrador Wolf that likely came to the Bonavista Bay area via an ice floe.

Port Blandford man David Hann was cutting wood near the railway trestle on Feb. 5 when the wolf attempted to attack his dog.

Hann shot and killed the animal that had been a present near the community for a couple of months prior.

The wolf weighed 32 kilograms. The tests also showed the animal did not have rabies.

While there have been some wolf sightings in recent years in Newfoundland, wolves have been extirpated from the island since the 1920s and virtually non-existent except for several that traveled from Labrador on ice pans.

Organizations: Department of Environment and Conservation, The Packet

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Port Blandford, Bonavista Bay

Comments

Comments

• Terry
    June 20, 2014 - 08:09

Yes Dave,,with the thousands of non native coyotes, that's all we need is packs of wolves roaming our woods!!!

• T
    June 19, 2014 - 07:20

I completely agree Jess. We're talking about a 70-lb wild animal here. He was lurking around the area where children and dogs play frequently and it was becoming dangerous to even let kids go outdoors, in their own backyards. I don't like seeing animals being killed either but if it's a risk to my family, absolutely it has to go. Do people actually think that the person who shot the wolf should have pulled out his cell phone and called the proper authority to come and capture the wolf and bring him back to its natural habitat, instead of protecting his dog and the nearby community? He did the right thing.

• dave
    June 18, 2014 - 18:16

It's terrible that this animal is dead. A healthy wolf population would definitely help balance our wacky ecosystem... And obviously he would have used the excuse that the wolf was attacking his dog...it sounds exciting and heroic! I'm sure this is not how it went down... And besides, who carries a rifle when cutting wood? This is not Alaska.

• Sandy
    June 18, 2014 - 17:26

I totally agree with JMAP. The photo of the man holding up the head of that beautiful, lifeless animal left me reeling ......

• Jess
    June 18, 2014 - 13:56

Most of you probably do not own any pets. If an animal even tried to attempt to attack my dog, it's being put down. I don't care if that animal is a unicorn, it's not coming near my poochie.

• Jessie
    June 18, 2014 - 13:55

• stephanie
    June 18, 2014 - 08:29

I wish they would stop killing them off.

• JMAP
    June 17, 2014 - 21:45

How sad.....what a beautiful animal. Firing the gun alone would have scared him off, did he really need to be killed????? As wolves very rarely bother people.

• Jim
    June 17, 2014 - 17:57

It's great to see a murdered animal in the news. Always gives me a warm feeling knowing beautiful animals are being killed.

• Lady newf
    June 17, 2014 - 16:05

How can anybody know just how any of these wolves have travelled to Nl from Labrador via ice pans??? How do we know their aren't males and females crossed via ice pans and are breeding deep in our Forrest's here?? Who knows if when one was spotted there weren't 99 more came behind that one??? Please ppl with camping season in swing be extra careful when in da woods ... Adults keep a close eye on children and pets, one never knows what's out there just waiting for prey...

• dave
      June 18, 2014 - 18:21

Please ladynewf, stop fear mongering. Wolves don't need your help in bad PR! They avoid ppl in almost every situation. We needs wolves back to balance out our ecosystem. How many wolf attacks do you hear of coming out of western canda??? Zero! Please ppl don't fear these animals. It's foolishness.