The abortion rights advocacy group Voices for Choice held a rally this afternoon outside the Athena Health Centre on LeMarchant Road in St. John's to protest the closure of the Morgentaler Clinic in New Brunswick.
The New Brunswick clinic will close Thursday due to lack of funding.
Voices for Choice said in a news release this is largely the fault of a regulation that restricts public funding for abortions in the province.
- Read more special articles:
- Standing vigil for more than 25 years
- Doctor who has performed abortions in St. John's for 20 years keeps it secret from family
- St. John’s only place in N.L. to get abortion
- Discrimination dressed up as religious rights
It says the closure of the Morgentaler clinic in New Brunswick will make the Athena Health Centre in St. John's the only dedicated abortion provider east of Montreal.
Voices for Choice is also collecting monetary donations to give to Reproductive Justice NB to go toward a lease to open a reproductive health-care facility in New Brunswick.