O’Regan running for Liberals in St. John’s South-Mount Pearl

James
James McLeod

Television personality Seamus O’Regan is planning on running for the Liberal nomination in the district of St. John’s South-Mount Pearl, one day after businessman Jim Burton announced that he won’t be seeking the nomination.

Seamus O’Regan

The timing is just “very coincidental” according to Burton.

“I'm just hearing about it for the first time. I'm in Labrador here today. I've been a month with this decision. It's not something I made lightly to step down. It's purely business for me,” Burton said.

O’Regan is a former CTV news correspondent and former co-host of CTV’s Canada AM. He’s also a mental health advocate, and reportedly a friend of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau.

Burton said he hadn’t heard about O’Regan running before he got the call from the Telegram.

“This is the first I've heard of this. He'd be a wonderful candidate,” he said. “Well, he's a wonderful man. You know, he's a Newfoundlander. He's a Labradorian. I know him because I grew up in Labrador.”

Burton said that his life was just too busy between running Remax Infinity along with a small airline and two fishing lodges in Labrador.

For months, Burton was the only person who had publicly declared interest in seeking the Liberal nomination in St. John’s South-Mount Pearl. The party hasn’t formally called nominations in the riding yet.

The next federal election is scheduled for the fall of 2015.

Burton wouldn’t rule out a run for political office in the future, but he said he just can’t make it happen right now.

St. John’s South-Mount Pearl is currently represented by New Democrat MP Ryan Cleary.

jmcleod@thetelegram.com Twitter: TelegramJames

Organizations: CTV

Geographic location: Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Townie bayman
    August 12, 2014 - 21:01

The self professed fighting nflder better dust off his resume. Cleary is finished.

• Barry
    August 11, 2014 - 16:41

The last time a veteran of CTV crossed the line from journalism to politics, we ended with Mike Duffy. Let's hope that Seamus had a little more respect for expense allowances and accounts than his CTV predecessor.

• newfie out west
    August 11, 2014 - 15:28

with only 7 seats in parliament a donkey could run and get elected in that province. the liberals have no chance of beating mr. harper in 2015. if o'regan wins the nomination and beats cleary he will be just another backbencher like the other 6.

• Pierre Neary
    August 11, 2014 - 15:19

If I were Cleary I would be very worried right now.

• Craig
    August 11, 2014 - 13:48

Ryan Cleary is a political opportunist who kept changing his mind about whether he was going to run for the NDP in the 2011 election, so I'll be glad to see someone like Seamus O'Regan challenge Cleary. Tom Mulcair keeps Ryan Cleary on the NDP backbench, so it might be good to have a more high-profile MP like Seamus O'Regan in the Liberals.

• Don Lester
    August 11, 2014 - 13:47

What a coincidence !!!!!!! Burton backs out on Sunday and O'Regan announces his running on Monday. Sounds like I've seen this movie before. I wonder what kind of a deal Burton made ????????

• Joe
    August 11, 2014 - 13:22

Greg, the best thing anyone can do is see the world a bit and learn a few things they can take home with them. Even Danny Williams spent years away attending school. Small minded people don't make good leaders.

• Greg
    August 11, 2014 - 12:55

I don't care if you can interview Knaan, Avril or Chad. Living in Toronto for 15 years, what can he know about the day to day issues of non-celebrities living in the district? Another ex-patriot newfoundlander who knows what is best for us in the same tradition as Brian Tobin. Have Newfoundlanders learned anything?

• Bob
      August 11, 2014 - 13:26

Yes, because no Newfoundlander has ever had to go elsewhere for work. Just Seamus. Did you know in this day and age there is a little thing called the internet where anyone can keep up passionately with their home turf every day? Seamus is a well read, intelligent and solid guy who is never shy about his adoration for where he came from. A great candidate we can all be excited about.

• dawn
      August 11, 2014 - 13:47

I chuckled at your comment, Bob. So true. If we only let newfies that stayed home run the place, well.......infer whatever you want here. Seamus would be great.

• Dolf
      August 11, 2014 - 13:52

A great candidate we can all get excited about? How about Ryan Cleary, being excited about Seamus I mean? But I'd say you're a politician Bob, they're the only ones who use the word excited even it's to change a flat tire.

• Harold
      August 11, 2014 - 14:43

Dolf, you of anybody calling anyone else a politician because of their words. You have a hard time getting past the "red" to evaluate the comments of people who think a little different than you. Everyone is will aware that you are commenting on all politicial topics but yet to critize the Liberals. Surprising the Liberals aren't all wearing Halos.