MP O’Regan seeking help for alcohol abuse

James
James McLeod

Liberal MP Seamus O’Regan has reportedly entered a rehabilitation facility in Ontario for alcohol abuse.

Seamus O'Regan

On Twitter Sunday evening, O’Regan posted that he “entered a wellness program” over the holidays.

“I’ve decided after consultation with family that I can be most effective as a Member of Parliament by adopting an alcohol free lifestyle,” O’Regan wrote.

Related story:

Trudeau supports O'Regan after he announces decision to go into wellness program

Representing the riding of St. John’s South-Mount Pearl, O’Regan has only been a member of parliament for a couple months, following the Oct. 19 federal election.

O’Regan is a close friend of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

On Twitter, he said he will return to his job as a member of parliament in January.

According to a report by VOCM News, O’Regan is at a rehabilitation facility in the Toronto area.

O’Regan concluded his Twitter message by saying, “I will have more to say on this subject later. In the meantime, my family I ask for privacy. Thank you.”

Organizations: VOCM News

Geographic location: Toronto

Comments

Comments

• A liberal
    January 04, 2016 - 18:09

Brent you are so right he knew he had this alcohol problem before he was elected and so did his party,he knew at the time he ran that he would not be able to do his job so he should have waited until the next election.And Graham I far from live in a perfect world but I did vote for him to represent me,it's like hiring a contractor to put a roof on my house with back problems,why would I hire him to do the job.Yes it's great that he's getting help but he should of waited to run in an election when he can't do the job.I voted I'm entitled to my opinion.

• Anon
    January 04, 2016 - 15:35

Indeed, Bob, I do remember the media lambasting Ford because of his addictions and , as I recall, this very publication, the telegram, referred to Ford as Crack Pipe Rob. Let's hope that O'Regan is not subject to such belittlement as he struggles with his own vices and wishing him well toward a recovery.

• Brent
    January 04, 2016 - 11:42

It's good he's getting help, and I wish him luck with it like everyone else, but there's a bigger story here. It's very concerning he campaigned to be our Member of Parliament and represent us knowing he had this issue. It's incredibly self serving and dishonest, to be blunt. If he had gotten help and then ran for the job, no problem. If he got elected and then began abusing alcohol that's different too. But here he knew it would render him ineffective and still asked us to give him the job anyway. Very troubling. It makes you wonder what team members of his knew about this and thought it was ok to run for this job with incredible responsibilities.

• Maderighthere
      January 04, 2016 - 13:39

Totally Agree.

• Bob
    January 04, 2016 - 11:24

This is pretty ironic given Seamus' treatment of Rob Ford when Ford was dealing with his addiction issues.

• Graham Bursey
    January 04, 2016 - 10:00

TO: A Liberal It must be great to live in the little perfect world you seem to think your in. We all make mistakes and have issues we need to deal with. He is doing just that and great for him. I truly hope you get the help you need because it appears you have issues that you need to deal with.

• Darlene Hammond
    January 04, 2016 - 08:32

No one should have to leave this province to get help. It's telling our people that government don't care. Something has be done

• roy206
    January 04, 2016 - 08:30

Alcoholics are more to be pitied than blamed and he won't be the first or last in parliament or the HOA. ...It is sad when townies can find none of their own fit to represent them and have to go with strangers from Ottawa...At $185,000 per you'd almost think there would be interest.

• geoffchaulk
    January 04, 2016 - 06:42

Good for you Seamus for getting treatment and going public. Addiction has and will happen to the very best of us, me included. I doubt there is a family in this province who loves someone who has had this serious health problem. Arresting an alcohol problem means it no longer has the potential to kill you. Be well and strong again, soon. Geoff Chaulk

• Stephen
    January 04, 2016 - 05:41

Good luck, Seamus. You can do it I'm sure.

• Jane
    January 03, 2016 - 20:12

I commend you for your bravery Seamus! And to the haters.....he is human. Anyone who has struggled with or knows someone with addictions knows how tough it can be. Good job for taking control Seamus. Looking forward to good things from you in the future!!!

• Voter
    January 03, 2016 - 18:58

Let's show some respect by giving him some privacy while he is in the wellness program. That goes for the media too!

• A liberal
    January 03, 2016 - 17:37

Great our tax dollars already at use I guess to pay for his rehab.oh my what did I vote in.

• Don't Point Fingers
      January 03, 2016 - 18:45

If you can't say something nice, please don't say anything at all. Put the bloody tax dollars aside and offer compassion instead of criticism.

• Prescient
      January 03, 2016 - 19:04

I do not think Newfoundland's MCP system pays for alcohol rehabilitation in Ontario, so your tax dollars are not an issue here. Politics can be stressful and it appears Seamus has concluded less than three months after being elected that he cannot effectively mix drinking and public life, so he has quit drinking. Good on 'im.

• taxpayer 22
      January 04, 2016 - 08:13

he shouldn't be payed if he is not at his desk working on behave of the people who voted for him. if it was a conservative the bias media would be demanding that he take leave to deal with his problem.

• abby
      January 04, 2016 - 08:44

EXACTLY???/

• james
      January 04, 2016 - 11:13

More to this story than meets the eye