New doors and floor for City Hall: $22,000

Daniel
Daniel MacEachern

St. John’s is spending more than $22,000 on new flooring and doors for City Hall.

St. John’s City Hall will get new doors on the fourth floor, and new flooring in the Foran/Greene room.

The fourth-floor renovations includes about $5,300 for new doors for city council chambers, administrative offices and the Foran/Greene room, as well as about $17,000 for new flooring for the Foran/Greene room, Coun. Danny Breen told The Telegram on Friday. The chairman of the public works committee said the doors and flooring are the original ones from when the building was opened in 1970.

“The ones that were there had been there since the building was built and were in need of replacement,” said Breen, adding that the money is coming from the city’s maintenance budget, not capital works.

“Also in our maintenance budget, we’ve replaced the hardwood flooring in the Foran Room,” said Breen. “Outside, there were leaks in that room and the flooring got damaged. The flooring has been there as well since the beginning of the building, and the type of flooring that was on it wasn’t available anymore, so it couldn’t be repaired. So it was replaced.”

The flooring has been replaced with a mixture of carpeting and hard flooring.

“All of those items are just part of our normal maintenance,” said Breen.

Asked how the city justifies the spending after releasing a budget that cut grants and services and raised taxes — prompting criticism and protests from the arts and business communities that led council to reverse some budgetary decisions — Breen said the work needed to be done.

“We have to maintain our buildings and keep them in good shape to avoid costlier renovations down the road,” said Breen, who also noted the money is from the 2015 budget. “Our staff identify areas that need to be completed each year, plus there’s money left for any emergency items that occur.”

dmaceachern@thetelegram.com, Twitter: @DanMacEachern

Comments

Comments

• Eastender
    January 18, 2016 - 06:21

Funny I'm living in my home downtown,telly next door to the City Hall,house that's about 140 years old, I have lived there for over forty years.Except for my exterior doors not once have I ever replaced any of my interior doors,yes I had painted them,but why would you replace an interior door unless you want to or if because you are sick of looking at them or if they were broke,flooring yes I can see replacing every few years but at a high cost like this no.

• Joe Prodigal
    January 17, 2016 - 15:38

Long as it was expensive & everyone involved was overpaid... that's all I ask.

• randy
    January 17, 2016 - 12:00

Don't be petty people. I'm sure the company that did the job can pay their workers and thus they can pay their bills and so on. It reminds me of people complaining about the Xmas lights on Confedaration Hill years ago and those having to go to the food bank. There were those who said the money should go to the food bank instead of lights. What about the people who got paid to put the lights up and those who liked to look at them on their long drive home after working all day. Stop waiting for the boogey man.

• RC
    January 17, 2016 - 09:04

So I guess every time the city spends money now it'll be a news story? It's $22,000. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things for a city the size of St. John's. Come on Dan, you're really grasping for straws here now.

• Christopher G Smith
    January 17, 2016 - 08:45

All the little things we do are those we give least attention often missing what they bring together which is the bigger picture. This is why all the little things that we're overlooked must be taken into account when making crucial decisions including a budget and dealing with a swollen deficit. We are all guility of making mistakes and that includes those we trust to make decisions for us. Long as we are learning vs repeating. I'm terrible with numbers luckily I have commen sense:)

• John Smith
    January 17, 2016 - 07:30

When compared to the 300,000 set aside for art procurement for the new addition to the civic center, or the 2 million to put a skywalk between the hotel and the center...it pales in comparison...this council has lost perspective...and they think they re running Toronto or New York...not a city of barely 100,000....

• Spaz
      January 17, 2016 - 13:54

Don't forget the 2.5 mil for the Icecaps!

• Observer
      January 17, 2016 - 16:57

I wish The Telegram's city hall reporter would write a story on our Missing in Action Mayor. Compare him to the activist Mayors of other cities who are in the public eye every day of the week. Whether they're advocating for their cities for monies from the federal infrastructure funds about to be released, or are out front with citizens on current local issues that concern everyone. We have a part- time mayor, at best. An absentee mayor who is earning close to 120 grand at worst. Proxy mayors in Galgay and Breen. I could care less about this measly $22,000.

• Pic
    January 16, 2016 - 14:39

Can we get a pic of the old doors or a comment from somebody that has seen them, other than Danny Breen? Can they be that bad???

• N
    January 16, 2016 - 12:23

Dont get distracted by little stuff like this. The city has a spending problem in that we are overpaying for less than acceptable services.

• tim
    January 16, 2016 - 10:52

What a crock. paint the bloody doors.

• Jerome
    January 16, 2016 - 09:22

City council new motto, "spend, spend, spend don't worry about tomorrow". The doors have worked fine all these years , now with the economy down the tubes, replace them all, same goes for the floors. If as a household, your income and future employment were doubtful would you be doing home renovations, or would you make due and hold off on the renovations till times looked better. Oh I forgot, we are talking about the city of St. John's with their endless revenue stream, us the taxpayers.

• Randy
    January 16, 2016 - 08:13

My doors will have to be replaced also or maybe I should pay my property tax.

• Question
    January 15, 2016 - 22:02

Were the doors really that bad?? Interior doors usually last forever unless they are hit with something. This council looks worse every day. I guess they need somebody to come in and install them ????