Tim Hortons to honour $100 prize stolen by Facebook friend

Barb Sweet

Joe Gibbons/The Telegram
Conception Bay South resident Margaret Coward holds a cup of Tim Hortons coffee Monday morning. On Friday she purchased a coffee at the Tim Hortons on Torbay Road by Mary Queen of Peace Church won a $100 Tim’s gift card. She posted a photo of the winning cup on Facebook and someone used the PIN code to claim the prize.

A woman whose Facebook friend stole her personal identification number (PIN) to redeem a $100 Tim Card in the Tim Horton’s Roll Up the Rim contest says the chain has agreed to honour her prize.

Margaret Coward of Conception Bay South had posted a photo of her winning cup on Facebook and someone among her friends’ list went online and punched in the PIN, claiming the prize before Coward could.

When she posted the photo, Coward said she was unaware that prizes could be claimed online.

She said a Tim’s customer service representative originally told her that there was nothing that could be done.

Related story:

Woman says Facebook friend stole her prize

But now that’s changed  and she said another rep gave her a special verification code she is to mail into the company to claim her $100 prize because this proves she is the rightful owner. She said, however, the rep made it clear she should have read up on the rules and regulations.

Coward spoke out to the media because she wanted to make others aware of what could happen if they are not careful.

Some of those reacting in comments on the viral story have chided Coward for posting the photo on Facebook, suggesting she should have known better and should keep better track of her Facebook friends.

“That’s very upsetting,” Coward said Tuesday morning, pointing out many of her Facebook friends have been supportive of her and colleagues, family and friends have all said they would not have known the rules either.

Organizations: Tim Hortons

• T
    February 26, 2016 - 19:37

Hahaha, vulgar low life.

• dave k
    February 24, 2016 - 06:59

its ironic..her name is coward...but the real coward stole her prize

• russian princess
    February 24, 2016 - 06:14

Does this woman post her credit card info online for her 900 "friends" to see? Wouldn't surprise me if she did. Here's an idea, don't be so ridiculously stupid to post information online and it won't be stolen. It's nice Tim Hortons is giving her her prize, but I wouldn't have if I were them. If I were this woman, I would even turn down their prize offer - own up to your own mistakes and fix them yourself. People will take advantage of a corporation's generosity and it will get to a point where it's expected. If businesses catered to and fixed everyone's stupidity in society, we would never survive.

• SayWhat
      February 24, 2016 - 08:03

I couldn't say it better.

• Devil's Advocate
      February 24, 2016 - 13:10

I totally agree with your comment, except when I got to this part "...a corporation's generosity..." , gave me a good laugh, thanks.

• Eric Milley
    February 23, 2016 - 21:36

Wonderful friends to know... I guess who You are doesn't matter. They would most likely steal from a Kiddy. Hope there is a Heaven and Hell. ALL Aboard, Elevator Down !!!!!!

• Brian
    February 23, 2016 - 17:36

I now think that I understand why things get so out of hand with our society and so many urgent needs go unreported . What is the news worthiness of this ladies dilemma? Why did it receive front page status and why was it on the CTV national news? Great advertisement for Tim Hortons but certainly not what I buy The Telegram for. This lady did a dumb thing and initiated her own misfortune by doing what we warn our children against . SAD NEWS

• Devil's Advocate
      February 24, 2016 - 13:13

I don't know why it's in the Telegram, but I do know why it's in the Western Star, Chinese food menus are thicker than that paper.

• Bahaha
    February 23, 2016 - 17:32

Serves her right!!!! Facebook is the ruination of the world!!!!

• Vince
    February 23, 2016 - 15:21

I guess she didn't learn anything from a similar incident last year whereby another NL woman threw away her code after winning a prize from a Tim's cup. It was made clear that one must read the rules. Read the rules and regulations people.

• John Smith
    February 23, 2016 - 14:13

ahhhh Facebook...the trailer park of the internet...

• Kimberlee
      February 25, 2016 - 07:26

Couldn't agree more. Who posts the number on Facebook before redeeming it? For that matter, who would post this on Facebook anyways?? Kudos to Tim Horton's - I certainly would not have rewarded her stupidity. If I had been this idiotic, no one would have ever known about it. I would be mortified to be on the cover of The Telegram and in the news about this. I guess some people want attention, regardless of the reason, or how stupid it makes them look

• Jen
    February 23, 2016 - 12:55

Sure she made a mistake posting it to Facebook but there is no need for using hurtful words like 'stupidity'. I don't know her but I know how I would feel reading those comments. Write it off as a lesson learned.

• Ha Ha Ha
    February 23, 2016 - 12:20

This is hilarious. Yet another example of the stupidity of throwing out there every little thing that happens in a day. Don't get me wrong I'm truly happy for her about the win but really FaceBook? Hopefully a lesson learned about using your brain and assessing what warrants public announcements. Oh, By the way, friends on FB will FU if you are too trusting. Friends are people you have dinner with, talk to; in person over coffee, NOT some nube you've collected in a pathetic race to see who is most popular. Sad, but there you have it!

• roy206
      February 23, 2016 - 12:59

I like it...we could use more from you

• What next.....
      February 23, 2016 - 21:20

FACEBOOK!!!! really time for that useless waste of oh my god I need to friend you please tell me what time you got up this am and when you left to walk the dog and lock the door so my 1000 friends can view my postings and come to my home rob what I have sleep with my boyfriend/husband/ girlfriend and post those pictures of people wearing nothing and to be so intoxicated and stupid while its omg raining out today gotta go to mall and shop and omg omg ya really omg people wake the hell up we tell our kids about social media why are we any different...Glad to hear you won but really time to figure out friend or unfriend Those friends. If they were your real friends do friends steal from you????

• Oh my
    February 23, 2016 - 11:45

People need to stop documenting their every move and every moment on Facebook. It has become really pathetic.

• Political Watcher
    February 23, 2016 - 11:26

Feel sorry for this lady but that's what can happen when you share your life through social media. We warn our kids everyday to be careful what you share. Really, you personally know every one of the 900 "Friends" on your Facebook page?

• Joe Reminiscent
    February 23, 2016 - 11:17

Oh for the days when one was rightly ashamed of one's stupidity... or at least failed to actively publicize it.

• Kimberlee
      February 25, 2016 - 07:28

The Telegram needs a Facebook "Like" option ... lol!

• Heather Russell
    February 23, 2016 - 11:00

Well, all's well that ends well. Glad to know Ms. Coward is being compensated. Hip Hip Hooray for Tim Hortons!

• Job
    February 23, 2016 - 10:48

Depending on her Facebook privacy settings, couldn't one of her "friends" have liked or shared her photo, thereby exposing the pin code to countless others (friends of friends, etc., etc.)? Nice of Tim's to honour her winning -- hopefully it's a lesson learned.

• Steve Redgrave
    February 23, 2016 - 10:25

I'm not trying to be the Devils advocate, but you have to admit that placing any winning document on facebook is akin to posting a copy of your paycheck. I feel bad for what happened, and it saddens me that there are so many thieves in our world. Karma will get this person, one way or another, they won't get away with this.

• Ted
    February 23, 2016 - 10:17

How about CoffeeGate or Coward Rips Off Coward? Jonathon Richler over at VOCM just told the lady he hopes the person who stole the $100 has trouble sleeping at night. If I drank 100 bucks of coffee I'd have trouble sleeping for the rest of my life.

• joe
      February 23, 2016 - 10:58

TED: You should do your own stand up comedy. LOL

• Will Davis
    February 23, 2016 - 10:14

Collectively what has society become? Every time we feel wronged we need to go to social media to blab it to the roof tops. Really, does anyone care if your won a $100 gift card or for that matter had a bowel movement you would like to report.

• Aub
    February 23, 2016 - 10:12

Facebook friends should be just acquaintences. Your true friends are not Facebook "friends".

• sparky
    February 23, 2016 - 10:11

I'm surprised someone didn't do a crowd fund

• TER
    February 23, 2016 - 10:06

Lesson for the day is stop and think next time before you broadcast your life on social media

• Debbie
      February 23, 2016 - 15:36

There's no lesson. She went to the paper and ended up getting her card instead of learning a lesson.

• Grandpa Pike
    February 23, 2016 - 09:58

Proper thing! Companies should have to publish the names of anyone who wins a prize $100 and over. That way we can be sure the prizes promised are actually awarded. This would also serve to identify the despicable excuse for a human who stole this woman's prize and then slapped her in the face by unfriending her. I suspect her other 'friends' would like to know who she is too, so they can avoid her.

• Frank
    February 23, 2016 - 09:38

facebook "friends" are not friends..