Mother joins police in appealing for witnesses to Southlands stabbing

Tara Bradbury

A young man who was assaulted at a home in the Southlands area of St. John’s was stabbed, police have confirmed.

The 21-year-old remains in hospital with serious injuries after having been stabbed during a party at his home Friday night. Police will not disclose what the weapon may have been, or whether or not they have it.

RNC officers responded to a report of a fight at a house party on Mahogany Drive just before 11 p.m. Friday.

Related story:

Police searching for witnesses to serious assault

“Upon arrival, officers discovered that a 21-year-old male had been seriously assaulted and was conveyed to the Health Sciences for those injuries,” RNC Const. Geoff Higdon told members of the media Monday afternoon.

Higdon said police are appealing to witnesses or anyone with any information to come forward — and so is the victim’s mother. Michelle Bailey posted an impassioned plea on Facebook late Sunday, begging anyone who may have witnessed the stabbing to contact the police or her.

“Kids as young as 13 and from all over St. John’s showed up at our home,” she wrote. “Many uninvited … had heard of a party and decided to show up. Many of the kids there know what happened. Many of them watched my son almost die and then ran out and left him for dead.

“Ask your kids where they were Friday night. Beg them to tell the truth. And then beg them to do the right thing and tell what they know. Somebody has to be held accountable for what was done. I understand that in this day and age nobody wants to ‘rat’ and ‘snitch,’ but this is beyond that. These kids need to know that this is not OK.”

Bailey wrote it has been one of the worst weeks of her life, especially knowing how close she came to losing her first-born son.

“Then after the worst was over, to watch him unable to sleep from the pain he was in. It was every parents’ worst nightmare,” she wrote.

Higdon said he hopes the fact that some witnesses may be underage isn’t deterring them from coming forward.

“I would hope it wouldn’t (be a factor) because this is a very serious incident: we have a young man with very serious injuries in hospital recovering from a stabbing,” he said. “I think that would far outweigh someone’s guilt about being at a party consuming a few alcoholic beverages. I think when you consider a provincial statute violation or a criminal offence, people should take a little bit of responsibility for a poor decision if that’s the case, and come forward because it is very important that we get to the bottom of this one.”

At least two young men purporting to have been at the party have offered to share their story with The Telegram, but only if they were paid for it.

At the scene of the party Friday night, one witness told The Telegram the victim had been trying to eject some of the partygoers when the situation turned violent. The witness said it seemed the young man was assaulted with a beer bottle and received a number of wounds to the head, neck and body. Several people were involved, said the witness, who also spoke to police.

Higdon said there have not been any arrests to date, but the RNC’s Major Crime Unit has been following leads and conducting interviews.

“Over the weekend we deployed significant resources to investigate this and we’re going to do everything we can to find a resolution to this,” he said.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Twitter: @tara_bradbury

Organizations: RNC Const., Health Sciences, Crime Stoppers

• A mom
    March 08, 2016 - 21:06

I have a son who is 16 that I wouldn't even let have a party if I wasn't there,he had been to many parties that they had even been on the street because there are to many in the house,I drop him of I pick him up,now who he is with at the party,who he talks to then I don't know but I have to trust him somewhat.This happens a lot parents go away for a weekend tell there kid to have a small party,so some of the blame has to go out to the parents or older siblings to allow it to happen,hope they make an arrest in this case.The longer it goes on there will be the next party.Some parent must know who the young girl was with the purple tank on and the purple back pack in the video.Question your child my dear

• Elizabeth
      March 09, 2016 - 20:14

I would love to think in a perfect world that my children will do the right thing all the time. But I am not that naive. I have instilled values and morals in them and pray to the lord they do the right thing. I don't believe that I could ever know everyone that my they talk to. Bring social media into the situation and things can spiral out of control very fast. One kid sends out a single seemingly innocent text, 'hanging at blank's place, no parents', I would like to know how quickly that would be noticed by friends and friends of friends until eventually strangers show up and things have become out of control. Then how would you remove your son from the situation. I am sure this got out of hand very quickly. I know I am no saint, reflect on your life and the hard lessons that you had to learn. I expect the mentally sound people involved will take that lesson and learn from it. I also expect, and I refer to Scotty's comment, because it put it so well, I expect that the group of monsters who attacked a young man trying to protect his home, will have a much harder time learning any lesson. I fully believe that people have seen this video and recognize some of the assailants, I hope if the children don't come forward that others will.

• Mrs.Disgusted
    March 08, 2016 - 18:14

Can't believe that this can be possible, where I grew up, the guy doing the stabbing would have been beaten to a bloody pulp and left for the cops or morgue to clean up. That's when no one says who did it, but this big gronk obviously scared all the babies at this party who want to be grown ups. If they are going to drink and hang with the big boys they better start learning to deal with the grown up consequences of drinking. I felt that watching that video the ones on the stairs were enjoying the view. Have Teens become so corrupted that they couldn't tell it was real or on YouTube. Suck it up babies and tell the story. Who's the crack head with the short fuse?

• NL Hunter
    March 08, 2016 - 14:29

Situations like this make it obvious ...."Responsible Parenting" is a skill that's dying-out in this province.

• Peter
    March 08, 2016 - 13:53

If some of the children are underage, should their parents not know that they were at this party, and make them speak to police? Why don't they just ask the boy who was stabbed who was at the party? He must know who he invited. One of them should know who did it. Start charging the underagers with drinking charges and see how fast they give the person up. You can start with the two who want to be famous.

• The real Calvin
      March 08, 2016 - 14:36

You think these youths are afraid of an underage drinking charge? For one, it is a joke and gets wiped from your record the minute you turn 18. Two, they went to a house party and stabbed someone when told to leave. They are not afraid of the police any more than they are of their parents. If the mother wants something done about this offer a cash reward for info provided directly to her, not police. She'll have kids lined up at her door to tell her what happened, and then police can jump out of the hedges and arrest the first person in line, who will undoubtedly be the perp. Boom, problem solved.

• George
      March 08, 2016 - 19:01

all you people who have no idea what your talking about, the man who was assaulted did not throw the party, his younger stepbrother did, he came home to a house out of control people smoking inside shoes on beer bottles on the floor. he told everyone to get out, the party goers would not leave, they laughed in his face. they then decided it was time to stab him 8 times and leave him for dead.

• steve
    March 08, 2016 - 11:48

If these two young men offered to "sell " their story to the paper then tell the police who these wannna be Kaynes are or has Nl become just as silly as the kardashians now? If they know something tell the police or be charged for withholding evidence. They are not sources since they asked for money.

• DCinCBS
    March 08, 2016 - 10:34

Good luck with that!

• Islander
    March 08, 2016 - 09:22

my question as a parent... how could a party get so out of control?? Was it monitored by parents??? and lastly prayers for this young man for a speedy recovery and Itruly hope whoever is responsible for this is dealt with by the law.

• Scotty
    March 08, 2016 - 09:21

I hope this person or persons gets caught. It's attempted murder as I see it. Youngsters today have a sense of entitlement , they think they can do as they please and mom and dad will deal with it, as always. They think violence is ok and cool and even funny. They video everything and post it on-line, the more views , better they like it. Not all young people are like this, thank goodness for some decent parents who raised their children in the proper way. Most though, have created their own monsters and all of us will have to deal with monsters for years to come. This young man almost lost his life. Those who witnessed it ran away and hid. COWARDS! It's not all about you! Grow some spine and do whats right! It could be you next time.

• Elizabeth
      March 08, 2016 - 19:22

Scotty, thank you for your response. There are a lot of statements above from people, who are shocked yes, appalled for sure, but also don't know the details. So, please before judging a victim or his family, think first. This young man did NOTHING, NOTHING wrong. NO ONE, has the right to blame him or his family.