Ryan Cleary wins bid to represent NDP in St. Johns South-Mount Pearl

Staff ~ The Telegram

Ryan Cleary Telegram file photo

Ryan Cleary won the nomination Thursday night in St. John's to once again be the New Democrat candidate for the riding of St. John's South-Mount Pearl in the next federal election.
Cleary is an award-winning journalist who has covered many of the major events and issues that arose in the province over the past 20 years.
In the October 2008 federal election, Cleary lost a very close race - less than 1,000 votes - to Liberal Siobhan Coady
"I'm grateful for all of the support and encouragement that I've received since the last election," said Cleary. "I know we can win this riding and I can join (NDP MP St. John's East) Jack Harris in effectively standing up for the people of St. John's and Mount Pearl. This recession has everyday families in our community worried and they know they just can't trust the Harper Conservatives or the Ignatieff Liberals to truly stand up for them."
Harris said Cleary is dedicated and passionate about the issues.
"(Cleary has) all of the qualities that the people of St. John's South-Mount Pearl need in an MP."

Organizations: Harper Conservatives

Geographic location: St. John's South, Mount Pearl

Comments

Comments

• Patrick
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

i think Ryan is a good host of VOCM's call in shows, but that is where my praise stops. The NDP are a treasonist party whose federal leader is more concerned about Taliban fighters being mistreated than about our own troops being killed and maimed. I would'nt vote for the NDP if Jack Layton offered to pay off my mortgage and send my kids to university, that socialist, hypocrite clown. If there is an election people, give Harper a majority so we can actually get something done in parliament that will benefit the Country. Dannys ABC campaign was wrong and it screwed NL, lets turn the page and elect a gov't with power.

• Tim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Hilarious! Sorry sonny b'y but your own party is now in bed with the Harpers so you ain't getting my vote and either is Coady. Any NL'er Independents out there give me a call.

• Wait...
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Not one of these parties deserve our votes. These people that turn politics into a career move now need to move on after two terms or two elections whatever comes first. Back in the day it was the Liberal's that you could count on to spend. The Conservatives to tax, and the NDP to make noise. Now they are all in bed together to keep the cushy positions they hold.

Honestly, do they think they are working hard to earn the remuneration we have permitted them to pay themselves with raises not a single one of us even think we deserve let a lone obtain, or do they just think we are all stupid?

Time for them all to step down and let the next generation take a shot at things. These people have held us hostage for far too long and need to understand what it is like to be looking through the window from the other side for a change.

The new person and party get my vote from here on out. The old ways have failed us, so why continue to repeat the same mistake?

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

ABC - Anyone But Coady.

• sandy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Good for Ryan...he will be a great MP ! Cleary is now a household name and is well respected with the help of his radio program night line.

• Mikalah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Congratulations Ryan!! It's time to get rid of Siobhan Coady...you have my vote and many other!!!

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Wait... What? from St. Johns, NL

I agree entirely!

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Sarah,
    While the out-of-work journalist label may be dated, it is also true. Out of work a few years ago (Independent) when he ran first time, and out of work this time (VOCM). Gee does anyone see a pattern here?

The fact that Cleary was able to insult the party and ultimately agree with them (eat crow) proves my point. Thank you for highlighting this once again. But then again, the NDP are just as hypocritical. They allowed themselves to be walked over by Cleary and now treat him like the Prodigal Son. A classic example of the electorate deserving the candidate they elect.

Anyway, allow me to re-phrase, desperation and politics make strange bedfellows.

• Saucy Face
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Ryan Cleary thinks he's getting elected as an MP?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Pardon me while I sip some water ..
    ..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Your dream would be our nightmare sonny!

• Jordan
      June 22, 2011 - 06:50

About Cleary not getting elected...... You were saying? Sadly, you may think, your expectations of Cleary being defeated in may of 2011 have been "orange crush(Ed)" :p

• Dawn
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Way to go Ryan! I always knew you would do well....you'll have my support.

• darls
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

i was an ndp person and after jack layton sided with harper and now cleary the idiot running in my area.....time to move....why can't we get quality people to run for government....hmmm i wonder...no more voting for me...

• Sarah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

The out of work journalist label has been far overused, and is quite aged at this point. Get on with it!
    Ryan is obviously respected by a lot of people - his performance in the federal race was noteworthy.
    The fact that he was able to insult the party but still ultimately agree with their model doesn't suggest a strange pairing at all, but rather that Mr. Cleary will be capable of speaking up for what's best, regardless of whether the party supports it or not. In my opinion, more of it is needed in politics.

• Todd
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

I think Mr. Cleary will give Ms. Coady a great race. If memory serves me correctly he didn't lose by much last time around. As a member of the Liberal Party in Ms. Coady's district, I'm actually a little disgusted by Ms. Coady's about face on the budget stance. She (and the rest of the MPs from NL) opposed the budget then when she had to chance to vote against it, she didn't! I'm not promising a vote for Mr. Cleary, but I can tell you I wont be voting for Ms. Coady!!

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

I don't who's the bigger hypocrite here, Cleary or the NDP. Cleary the now out of work journalist looking for a new gig, called them a bunch of artsy fartsies and aging granolas, which incidentally is true. Meanwhile, the NDP is so desperate for anyone with any kind of profile, they chose Cleary as their candidate, the very man who insulted them and their ideals. Politics does indeed make strange bedfellows.

• Patrick

I agree entirely!

• Kent
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

Sarah,

• Saucy Face
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

Ryan Cleary thinks he's getting elected as an MP?
    ..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Your dream would be our nightmare sonny!

• Dawn
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

Way to go Ryan! I always knew you would do well....you'll have my support.

• darls