Comments

Comments

• Sequoia
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Nasty Telling it like it is again you are just trolling and making things up as you go along. Any self-respecting homeowner wouldn't try to brag about the cost of home (I guess you live out around the bay).

You seem to have familiarity with the last sentence in your comment, but no one where I live will shovel a long sidewalk with a 6 foot high solid ice snowbank for $10, let alone, as you suggest, finding a neighbor or friend to do it for you after they've just come home from work and done their own driveway and sidewalk. You are completely mad. You make no sense at all. What makes matters worse is I live on a corner with a single driveway on one side and a triple on the other and a helluvalot of sidewalk in between. Guess where the plow puts the snow when they clear the intersections ? On each corner. Some people don't have sidewalks where I live so how do you balance out what is fair and what is not ? I can tell you that each year the snowbank buries the stop sign. I can't even get my snowthrower (a big one with tracks) to break up the ice the plow sometimes plows into my driveways. The sidewalks are out of the question. Shovel that. You certainly seem good at shovelling s hit as usual.

• Oh My
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I have a better idea. Forget the sidewalks. We never get to use them anyway. In the summer they're getting beaten up and replaced so you can't walk on the wet cement, and in the winter you can't find them for all the snow. So how about we forget about the sidewalks and focus more on widening the streets so I'm not shoveling at least 4 feet of pavement at the end of my driveway. Once that 4 feet is cleared of snow, guess what! Now there's somewhere to walk! Isn't that amazing?

Forget the sidewalks. Focus on widening the darn streets first. Oh, and slowing down the speed demons flying up Torbay Road. I'm more worried about the crazy drivers than whether I'm walking on pavement or concrete

• Jerry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

In Ottawa there were big valleys specifically to put snow for snow clearing. Its not just that the sidewalks here need to be cleared, its that the snow has to be TAKEN somewhere. Clearing the streets just pushes half of it onto the sidewalks compounding the problem.

As for the issue of clearing out in front of your own house. That is a great idea but I dont want to clear out the giant, giant pile of snow the city puts in front of my door (corner lot). Every year I end up walking over a snowbank that is taller than my door to get into my house. And again this is packed solid, and requires a snow blower or heavy equipment to clear.

I lived in Ottawa during one of their snowiest seasons a few years ago. I lived in the middle of nowhere in a residential area not governed by any condo board yet my sidewalks were cleared and salted same/next day. If a city can do that, why can't St. John's plow high traffic areas quicker?

I'd also like to add about 7 years ago a city worker managed to shatter my kitchen window and the city would not replace it. I think the reason I was given was 'any means necessary to clear snow'. Thats all well and good but my family was still out $400 to replace the window.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Between Eastern Health, RNC, RCMP, and the city of St. John's, this city is the WORST i ever lived in.

It will take someone being KILLED on the road due to poor city services (snow clearing) before any action is taken.

• JUST CLEAR ONE SIDEWALK
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I have visited the Town of Fort St. John in the Peace District of British Columbia on several occasions during wintertime and noticed that they clear JUST ONE Sidewalk on each Street.

When taking my daily walk, I found that arrangment quite adequate and I am sure that the reasonable people of St. John's, NL would be quite happy with that arrangement as well.

• Irene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

complain complain How can you tell when a plane touches down tha tit originated in newfoundland? Even when the engines are turned off you can still hear the whining. Maybe if the city utilized its resources more efficiently we wouldn't have the streets we have. i live in the east end .i do not need my street salted to pavement. I lived in Alberta and never saw a plough on my street. We managed. Yesterday for example there was a salt truck on my street again. My street did not need to be salted. It seems the manpower is not well utilized. I think it's a matter of waht we did in the past must continue. And yes indeed businesses should clear their sidewalks. It would go a long way in helping pedestrians navigate our treacherous terrain.

• Deirdre
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I'm sorry to say, Councillor Hann, that until citizens can walk safely on our sidewalks, our city does NOT have a cadillac snowclearing system. Perhaps we have a snowclearing system for Cadillacs, but we certainly don't for pedestrians.

• p
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

well as i was shovelling snow from my driveway ....the snow was cleared from the street to about 4-5 feet away from the sidewalk ...which meant i had to help the st johns city council trucks in removing the snow that they never removed from that area of street ...so in my opinion if a person or member of the RNC was to tell me im not allowed to shovel or push snow into the street well im sorry ...but it IS in the street already ...im just moving it around!!!!!!...tyvm

• NOTHING BUT
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Here we go again ... the ME Generation complaining. Everything is about ME ... well years ago everyone worked together as a community and helped their neighbours. I find that there is a generation coming up that forgets about others and only concentrate on themselves. Out of the all those who demonstrated not one shovel was to be found amongst them. Put down your Tim's cup and pull out a shovel!!!

Why can't people here stop complaining about everything and become more community minded. There would be more accomplished and less noise! This ME Generation expects everything to be done for them ... be proactive and watch the world work together!

• Albertan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

To the man from Edmonton who left the comment about complaining Newfoundlanders... I am from Alberta and wholeheartedly side with the complaining Newfoundlanders . I know that Edmonton doesn't get as much snow as we do here in St. John's every year. As well, plows there don't tend to completely bury people's sidewalks with heavy, icy chunks; they pile them in big heaps out of the way.

I am physically unable to lift a lot of what the plow dumps on my sidewalk because it is too heavy. I am not disabled, but I can't imagine how much more difficult (or impossible) it would be for someone who was.

As a student, I have been a pedestrian for much of the time that I have lived here. Not only do buried sidewalks force me to walk on the road, but they leave me with nowhere to move when there is oncoming traffic. I have had many near misses, and I thank my lucky stars that I now have a car. I cringe every time I see a mom and her little ones struggling down the icy streets. This is unacceptable, and something needs to be done.

• MArie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

I think it's beyond ridiculous. We're from the Bay and were in town last week after our first snowfall. I saw a mom struggling to walk with her two toddlers up the hill across from Stockwoods, students having to jump in the slush to avoid rude drivers. The mayor should realize that St. John's is a walker's city and they should be respected and protected.

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Sidewalk clearing should never be done in St. John's. It is not feasible, for many reasons, sidewalks are curbside unlike most other Canadian cities, so all snow pushed by ploughs is directly on the sidewalk. In addition, SJ has many areas where parking is permitted on the street (downtown) so the amount of snow on the sidewalks is immense compared to other Canadian cities where they have zero on street parking. THis city has utility poles (i.e telephone pole ) directly on the sidewalks hindering snow removal. In other Canadian cities, all wires are run underground making snow removal/ploughing much easier as the ploughs do not need to worry about the poles.

It is a drag but we got to put up with it and the better thing would be to send out a Traffic Blitz by the RNC where they warn/ticket drivers for driving too fast for the conditions on certain roads to slow the driving public down so pedestrians can be safe.

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

News flash gang. It costs a lot of money to clean the sidewalks the way these guys would like it. The union environment within which our city works and the lack of consideration for any public private partnership for snowclearing makes the side walk snow clearing system they desire unattainable.
    The people walking the street last night and complaining in these comments are the same people who kick up a stink whenever a new office tower or hotel is proposed in the downtown. The future of services in the city is in development and the taxes these projects and companies will generate. We need to get our heads around buildings bigger than 15 meters if we think we are ever going to have the Cadillac system the downtown walkers desire.

• N
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I am formerly from St. John's & now resides in Edmonton. I wish Newfoundlanders stop complaining. What is so hard about shoveling the snow off the sidewalks on your property. A by-law here in Edmonton & most Alberta cities has the rule of 48 hrs to clear the sidewalk on your property or you will be fine. The city is only responsible for clearing up areas that is considered city property. So get off your high horse & get with the way everyone is operating these days. In these incidents, it make me ashame to be a Newfoundland since often all we do is complain and look for hand-outs. At least the city clears your roads, in Edmonton not all the streets are clear and for the most part are not taken care of right away.

• Manuel
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

We have already paid tax to have this taken care of. Its obvious the money was wasted and put to use somewhere else.
    For those that say its a good job your obviously mentally deranged. Get your dumb a$$ out on the road and try to walk to the grocery store and then drag your groceries home. Meantime all these vehicles are speeding around you with steel bumpers.
    I was hit and needed major surgery to repai the damage and can never walk the same again. Nor is my leg stable enough to walk on the snow covered sidewalks. Let me snap off your ankle and knee then dislocate your hip. After 2 years of therapy you can start to walk again only to face being couped up in your house for the winter because idiots like DOC lie to our faces to get into office and then turn their backs on us after they gete in. DOC i can guarantee you this will be your last year in council.
    Oncve the RNC settle my lawsuit I will personally do whatever it takes and spend whatever it takes to have you idiots removed from office. You are traitors to Newfoundlanders and you should be treated as such. Nothing more then a pack of lying thieves. I would liken your office downtown to the prison but at least the prisoners have respect.

• Seamus
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I have lived all over this country and honestly, the snow clearing in St. John's is some of the best I have ever seen. Honestly, what would you have the city do? I see alot of complaints but no suggestions as to how to help deal with the problem. The fact is, there is too much snow too often to be able to keep the sidewalks clear. Not to mention the fact that the design of the city makes it absolutely impossible. To accomplish what you are asking would cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I love the comment about how the sidewalks can't be shoveled because apparantly everyone in St. John's is a senior or disabled. Things must have changed quite a bit since I was there a year ago. Make a helpful suggestion or stop your whining everyone.

• Telling it like it is
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I guess the old addage, There are a million excuses not to do something was coigned in newfoundland.

So far I've seen,

too poor
    too weak
    too old
    too tired
    too much snow
    not enough room

There are options.

My neighbors and I share snow clearning and sidewalk clearning responsibilities. It allows 3 properties to have clear drive ways and sidewalks.

If you are

too poor
    too weak
    too old
    too tired

then find a neighbor, friend, or pay someone $10 to clear the snow for you.

I guarantee you will find quicker results than barking at City Hall.

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

To Dave from St. John's: When does your flight leave? Do us all a favour and make sure you are on it.

• Jennifer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

asking homeowners to shovel will only solve a small part of this. what about all the non-residential land? Allandale Road is a perfect example...

bottom line, other capital cities in Canada have figured this out. they make it a priority and budget accordingly. C'mon, let's not give the rest of Canada yet another reason to make up Newfie jokes about us.

If the city can afford to drive a huge tractor over some of the sidewalks (which doesnt properly plow them) then why not use a real plow instead?

Its really a shame. this is a lovely city, even in winter, but it is literally impossible to get around without risking being on the street. Im a marathon runner and I need to train, so i will take my chances; and heck, I need to get to the grocery store twice a week just like everyone else, not to mention, 3-5 trips to the swimming pool every week. and I am pretty good about dodging traffic, at least so far, even in this city that appears to be full of some of the worst drivers in the country that I have ever seen (and believe me, I would know as I have lived and run all over the country).

But many others arent so road savy. Many children and seniors cant afford to drive cars but they have to get around town too. and with the way things are now, it is quite common to see people slipping and falling on the ice. ive taken my share of falls, having severely torn ligaments in 2 fingers breaking a fall last year. Falls have been known to kill seniors. do we have to start filing injury law suits against the city to get their attention on this issue? As much as i love this place, I will not live here when I become a senior if this continues. Hmmm, and what about all the dog-walkers? Dogs appear to be a very important part of this town, and you cant walk a dog by driving it around in a car!

and gee, all this work by the province to promote NL as a tourism destination. this is definitely going to hurt that. Hmmm, maybe the province would like to chip in a few bucks to make this work?

and what makes it worse is that we have so many bad drivers in this city: speeding drivers, cell-phone-talking drivers, drunk drivers, drivers who are trying to eat fast food while they drive, rude drivers that take their eyes off the road so they can harass runners, etc.. and on the other hand, many timid drivers who are just as much of a road hazard as the aggressive ones. If the city wants pedestrians to share the roads with the cars during the winter, then at the very least, they should reduce the speed limits by 10-20km/h to make things at least a little bit safer.

and finally, given that our city has one of the highest obesity rates in the country, clearing sidewalks would make it easier for all these folks to get outside for a little exercise instead of taking their cars everywhere. Reducing the obesity rates in town will take a strain off the health care system! Other provinces are putting together government-funded health-promotion projects. Lets get something like this going on here! Hmmmm, if you like this idea and are looking for someone to spearhead the program, get in touch. Im currently looking for work and Id love to be a part of something like this!

...back to the shoveling, a simple solution: tax the rich! if you can afford to own a car and pay for the high-priced gas in this city, chances are you can handle an additional $20 a year towards a better snow removal program.. either drill people when they renew their vehicle tags, or arrange an increase in gas prices in the city throughout the winter to accommodate this. going the gas route would ensure that anyone who buys gas in the city is contributing towards the snow clearing program, so that might be a fairer solution.

drivers may not like this, but it could be argued that this isn't just about keeping the roads clear of snow, but it is ensuring that the road is clear and safe from pedestrians too, hence, making a better driving experience!

• Eugene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

No mention here of the lack of a downtown parking ban (to accomodate Christmas socializing) and the impact this has on snow clearing.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

You must be joking!!!

• Saucy Face
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

While I agree that there needs to be a better job done cleaning sidewalks, someone has to pay for the improved service. I'm willing to pay more taxes for this service, but are those complaining will to pay their share as well? Time to put up or shut up.

• Taxpayer ll
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Don't forget Doc Okeefe blamed the water crisis last spring on not enough snow...what will be the excuse this year?

• Matt
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

For those who think homeowners should shovel their sidewalks, have you seen how high the city plow piles snow on them after a storm ? It's literally impossible to remove that snow with a shovel. How in the world can you expect everyone to shovel 6 foot high, packed snowbanks running the length of your property ? I live on a corner, so I have 2 of those. Nothing short of hiring a back hoe could possibly get the job done. And then, where is the space to put this snow ? It's not physically possible to shovel it. I've had huge city snowthrowers get stuck and jammed up trying to remove the HEAVY SNOW and ICE from the curb outward where the plow cannot even push the snow back up onto the sidewalk any higher. It's not the nice and fluffy Jimmy Stewart holiday snow you see on those old black and white movies. You people suggesting we all shovel our sidewalks must be on something.

• Telling it like it is
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

The City of Edmonton requires home and business owners to clear their side walks at the maximum of 48 hours after a snowfall. Otherwise you are fined $100.

as a long time St. John's resident I can sympathize as St. John's is not what anyone would call the world's best laid out city. My advice....

If you don't like the sidewalks on a residential street - home owners / residents clear their own side walks.
    for public (ie. park) side walks...the city does it.

If you have a pulse, two hands and two legs clear your sidewalk and set an example for those around you.

Stop asking other people to do it.

• Funky
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Everyone is complaining about people complaining about the sidewalks and saying people should shovel their own sidewalks. Ok. People do. I do. But that doesn't mean I'm slinging shovel over shoulder and clearing sidewalks down on Prince Philip or LeMarchant Rd. I clean the sidewalk that runs in front of my house because I have to. But outside of that, I'm not clearing sidewalks elsewhere because the city is too cheap to do this. It's disgraceful and terrifying to walk around St. John's in the winter.

• Lesleigh
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

While the idea of having citizens remove snowfall from the sidewalks is noble, it is hardly practical. Why shovel the snow that the CITY pushes onto our sidewalks? Has anyone seen the way those banks are after heavy snow? There's no where to put it.

Secondly, how can one expect citizens to shovel their sidewalks? Are you honestly telling me that a woman who lives alone and is off on disability should have to clear her sidewalks even if it injures her further just because she is scared of getting a fine? Should she be exempt while another person isn't? There's no real practical way to enforce this because you have to take into account all the different people that would need exemptions, including the elderly, injured etc

I'm a pedestrian. I've had more close encounters with cars while I m walking to the bus stop then I care to count. I am a firm believer that all main streets should have clear sidewalks and so should many of the high traffic side streets. It is time to do something about this matter, eve if it means coughing up some extra tax money.

• Street-walking
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Come on, we all know people don't walk on sidewalks anyways because they don't like to step up and down the driveway risers. It's just too difficult I guess. We've all seen them in summer walking side-by-side with multiple baby carriages forcing traffic to stop, wait and then go around them. Even the one-time exercise types feel it is too much exercise to walk the sidewalks for fear of having to step over those one inch risers, while they swing their arms wildly as if playing the drums in a rock band. I bet many of you whiners are those types who would choose to walk the street even if the sidewalks were cleared. Absolutely laughable.

Nuff said.

• Whatever Bud
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Clearing your own sidewalk is a great concept,except, of course if you are elderly,disabled,don't own a snowblower,can't afford to pay someone else to shovel it because you are bankrupt after the latest property tax hikes. Oh yes,property tax.Isn't that what property tax is for?

• San
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I too have to comment on homeowners and business shoveling infront of the own homes/business. I'd do it in a heartbeat, unfortunately, I do not own a snowblower, and the snowbanks, or should I say mountains are a little unrealistic to shovel. One of the major factors for my moving out of my home and move into a condo was the snow issue in the winter. My driveway had mysteriously extended about 6 feet (at least) past the sidewalk infront of my former residence. How in the name of heaven would I have been able to shovel that? I am now in a condo where its done for me. I often hear my new neighbours complain about the snow clearing there....heck, you just can't please everyone.

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Hey Telling it like it is , let me know where I can find someone to shovel my sidewalk for $10 and I will happily pay them. The last time someone knocked on my door offering to shovel my driveway they wanted $40. And as for everyone saying We are a community, we should work together to solve this problem , give me a break. People do no think like that anymore. It would be great if they did, but they dont. 2 years ago during a snow storm the man living next door to me had a heart attack and an ambulance was called. The medics started knocking on doors asking for help to shovel a path to the house, and 3 of us had to break our backs to try and shovel this mans driveway so he didnt die, because the other 10 people they asked didnt want to go out in the cold. People in general are not willing to chip in for the greater good, and if anyone here thinks the people of St. John's are any different I suggest you try it out some time. Ask your neighbours to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house for you, not with you. There are people in the city who would have to ask someone to do it for them because they are unable to do it themselves. I guarantee most of you would not have any luck and would be stuck with the snow on your sidewalk, and the fine in your mailbox. The city has a problem with snowclearing, bottom line. Even if the ploughs were able to keep most streets wide the problem wouldnt be so bad, but they cant even do that. People are forced to walk in the middle of the road because the snow is in the middle of the road, not even moved back to the sidewalks. It may sound like wining and laziness to some, but I would be willing to bet that those of you who consider pedestrians winers have not had to deal with this issue lately, if ever, so stop wining about the winers and expect our elected officials to put forth a concerted effort to make the streets safe during the winter. After all, they are part of the community too.

• Irene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

It's a disgrace. having lived in other cities in canada,st.john's is at the bottom of the heap.it is just the mentality here. People should shovel their own sidewalks. Businesses and schools should be responsible for clearing their sidewalks. it will only come to pass here when we elect a council who is not afraid to mandate it. our city is too provincial.we need to grow up and come into the modern age. maybe a civil suit against the city will be the impetus to wake them up.

• Taxpayer ll
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

They can't even clear the streets properly, let alone the sidewalks. Doc Okeefe was on spouting about how much salt the city is saving, yet after the last storm the streets were full of hard packed ice ruts for days. What a pityful bunch of boobs we have pretending to run this town. We are in for an expensive, and rough four years.

• Sequoia
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Telling it like you dreamt from St. Johns, NL NO ONE will shovel even the tiniest driveway for $10. What are you on ? For most people who have homes (you wouldn't know anything about) it would probably cost $150 to hire a backhoe to come and clear the sidewalks, and then YOU'D be responsible for any damage the backhoe operator does to the sidewalk and your lawn. In many case (other than those tiny St. John's heritage row homes), it's just not reasonable (you wouldn't know anything about reasonable either) to shovel it, and cost prohibitive to pay to have it done. You're just trolling that's all. You simply have a singular, one-sided view which encompasses what you see outside your parents' basement window. I bet you even make your poor old mother shovel her own driveway out. Shame on you.

• john
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

St. John's residents have no idea as to how good their snow clearing is until they have lived somewhere else. Here in Dartmouth I maintain that the Halifax Regional Municipality should send all their snowplow operators to St. John's to learn how to properly plow streets and sidewalks, especially the narrow ones in the older part of the town.

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I wonder how many of the people on here calling everyone lazy for not clearing the sidewalk in fron of their house have snowblowers? It is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. So should the elderly and handicapped be forced to clear their sidewalks? How about single mothers, should they leave their children alone in the house to go shovel off the sidewalk. And forget about the stretches of road where there are no houses, just sidewalks on un-developed land, that will clear itself. Hey, by the end of the winter, after shoveling a drift about 30 feet high onto our lawns, we wont even have to wait for the next December to have snow, there will be a year round chunk of ice in everyones garden.........

• Barbara
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I fail to see how griping at each other will do anyone any good.
    Years ago we had to clear the sidewalks in front of our houses and busineses at least in the 60's and 70's it was that way. Why we don't have to do it now is anybody's guess. The issue here is not to fight each other but find some way so our sidewalks and roads are safe for driving and walking, because clearly they are not safe at present. I walk everywhere I go or try to in an effort to be env. freindly save money and stay healthy. But this year so far I have had to spend far to much money on taxies because even access to bus stops are barred by the snow. The streets are accidents waiting to happen ruts and holes bigger than I have seen on the old Cabot Highway. Someone is not doing their job properly. Or not being allowed to do it properly in order to save tax money. If the snow clearing is being completed by outside vendors well boy they should not be paid because it's a lousy job hire someone who will do it right By right I mean after the plow has gone by pavement should be showing not a foot of snow left on the road. As others have written what will it take city hall before you make the contracters complete their duties correctly. Will a child or adult have to be hit by a car. Will there have to be massive pile ups. As for salting and sanding we must have saved a bundle this year already cause I haven't see one truck sand my road or any of the other roads I use. And my sidewalk except for in front of my house is still piled up like the day it snowed.
    By the way how do you determind what roads children use to get to school seems to me any road a child has to walk to get to school should have clear and safe access for them so main sidewalks in the downtown area and along Topsail road are great or Elizabeth avenue. But what about Fleming, or Circular, Spencer, Merrying Meeting Freshwater. Pennywell these are all feeder roads to schools I do not see those side roads sidewalks cleared yet. Let alone the roads. In this area alone there are at least six schools elementary through high school guess they don't count. Clearing roads in the area of all schools should be top on the list.

• target
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I've almost been hit about 6 times in the past 2 weeks.

• James
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

This is the cry of many St. John's, Newfoundlanders ... What the city isn't doing for me. If you spent one winter in Edmonton you would understand how good you really have it. Here the city doesn't clear the streets except when they really have to. Richest province in Canada and you really do have to shovel your own sidewalk as well. No kidding, or else you will be fined. The temperature here was the second coldest in the world last week at -46 but you shill have to shovel your sidewalk. Take a hint, the rest of the province just dreams about even having sidewalks.

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Obviously Mr. Hann has not had to walk anywhere in the snow in the last 30 years. The snow clearing/removal in St. John's is awful. The city figures because it clears the sidewalks by MUN that they are doing a good job. Well guess again. High traffic areas or not, children in Airport Heights have to walk down the middle of the street while waiting for a bus, or walking to school, because the snow has not been removed from sidewalks in the area. I say Airport Heights because that is the area I am familiar with, but it was no different on Canada Drive when I lived in that end of the city. The city needs to find some way to obtain more sidewalk clearing machinery before some child is the victim of a vehicle accident due to the fact that they had to walk to school in the middle of the road.

• cornergirl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I wouldn't mind cleaning my own sidewalk if the City would take responsibilty for its own areas. Just try walking along Harvey Rd past the Fire Station & you'll be forced into the street in a very busy intersection. Come on Council- get rid of it!

• Sam Shadey
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I look at the picture of the lazy louts and wonder why they were not doing something useful like shovelling a sidewalk instead of whining. That would have been far more constructive and civil minded.

• shut up!
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

To those winers who want dry concrete under their feet 24/7....we live in a snowy cold environment, it is not possible to have what you want, shut up or move to Florida.

• Steff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

The city is doing a terrible job clearing the sidewalks. Most of the sidewalks from Canada Drive to the city's east end are still snow covered and the few that have been plowed are turning icy and dangerous due to the lack of salt and sand being used. The mayor has clearly not taken a walk around the city lately. I walk between the downtown area to Memorial on a daily basis, a very busy path for many pedestrians and it is steadily getting slipperier as time goes on. I can name a number of high traffic streets that have not been plowed or salted such as LeMarchant Road , Merrymeeting road, and Torbay road just to begin with. Could residents clear the snow in front of their homes? Sure but what about the sidewalks where there arent any houses or nearby residents to clean them? What about the residents who are unable to clear snow by themselves? There are residents out there taking responsibility for clearing sidewalks in front of their homes but the city has its part to play too and Council cannot claim its perfect when its obviously not.

• Prairie Pirate
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

So, I am originally from St. John's and have spent the last 6 years away from home. St. John's is pretty well on par to what the rest of the country deems as necessary snowclearing. I am currently living in Saskatoon where the city will only clear less than half of the streets in the entire city. Most streets will go all winter without seeing a plow or sander. By the time February or March rolls around, cars are driving in ice trenches in the street. Granted we do not get near the amount of snow that we do back east, because of the cold, dry weather, what snow does fall, stays....and builds, making roads trecharous for drivers and pedestrians. I did however spend two years in Charlottetown PEI and thought their snow clearing system was brilliant! After a major snowfall, the city would block off certain streets for a portion of the day, they would then take a series of industrial plows, snowblowers and dumptrucks and would fill the trucks with snow and move it to either infrequently used parking lots/fields or dump a safe amount into the ocean. While it was moderatly inconvenient to have to detour on your way to work in the morning, it was only a temporary inconvenience and far better off in the long run and the streets and sidewalks were quite safe. So I guess, we fall somewhere in the middle...always something for someone to talk about.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Making property owners responsible for sidewalk clearing is the most laughable idea I have ever heard. The last thing City property owners need is to be shovelling what the City plows push up onto the sidewalks. This concept works great in Toronto where most sidewalks are set back from the curbs. For the St. John's area this idea is idiotic.

• dianne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Leave the walks on the small streets alone and plow the major sidewalks. Kenmount, Columbus, Topsail, Torbay, Elizabeth. It is not as hard as it sounds. On the smaller roads, cars and people can share what is cleared. On the major roads, pedestrians have the option of walking in a snowbank or with traffic going 60 km on slippery streets.

• TiredTaxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Is it not a current bylaw that residents and business owners must have their sidewalks cleared and salted within a certain timeframe?

I shovel my sidewalk so do no spend more of my money to do for the lazy people...fine them (large) instead and see how fast they shovel

• Manuel
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

We all need to unite and go to the councillors homes disable their cars and trucks and force them to walk in this mess. Then and only then will they see how dangerous it is. I dont think youll see DOC anytime soon walking the snow covered sidewalks.
    I live downtown and the only sidewalks that are cleared are the buisness sidewalks. Mostly because they look after it themselves. How much more in taxes do we have to pay to get what we already paid for.
    I think its is time we ask these people to step down from their position so we can get new fresh faces in the scene and have a city worth talking about.

• todd
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I see an easy solution to this. The City of St. John's should cough up some dough for a bus ride to Corner Brook for all the protesters. Once they catch a glimpse of THAT conundrum, opinions might change.

• Jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

If Councillor Hann think we have a Cadillac snowclearing system, then it must be a 30 year old Cadillac sadly in need of repair. I suggest he visit other Canadian cities in winter and see what a good system does. Try Ottawa, Halifax, Montreal or Moncton. Their snowclearing includes sidewalks, a matter of basic personal safety, ignored by Mr. Hann and his colleagues.

• Need_To
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

LeMarchant Road was a no-go area for pedestrians for 2 days after the last storm. It's the poster road of all post snow storm sidewalk conditions and clearly demonstrates the lack of effort and plans by the City to effectively clear our sidewalks. Congrats to this group for drawing attention to this abysmal display of responsibility.

• Donna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

this is because the right man for the Mayor postion did not get the job!!!!!

• don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

I wish I could post a photo here of my sidewalk and let's see how many people think it's even possible to shovel it. It's taller than me. It melts and freezes, then melts some more and freezes some more and then you have an 8 foot block of ice that runs 75 feet down the road. I'm not able to properly shovel my own driveway after 20cm of snowfall and a few plows later. I get enough done to get to work in the morning and then during the day it's plowed up again and I get enough done to ram my car back into my driveway when I come home. It's not realistic to clear sidewalks in some areas without dedicated sidewalk snowthrowers. It may be realistic for business owners downtown who only have 15 feet of snow one foot deep to shovel and enough pedestrian traffic to pack it down enough to throw salt on it to do it's job. In Toronto they employ sidewalk clearing machines, massive snow melters that run on propane and dump water into the streets when it's not too cold outside such that it refreezes, and they also remove the snow and go to a site by the lake where they drive onto a big grate able to hold dump trucks packed full of snow and drop it off right there where there's water down below. That can't happen here. I wish I could post that photo. A picture says a 1000 words.

• Sean
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Come on 'Town Council', Doc you even complained when you were in Council... If you want to see good snow clearing go to Mount Pearl....... and learn from them.. When we had the storms back in 2000 -2002 they were on the ball and have kept it up since...

• Telling it like it is
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Sequoia

I like the view from my $275,000 house.

How is your view?

I guess the kids on my street are more responsive to accept money for a little bit of work.

Perhaps you should the offer the currency of your neighborhood...E, crystal meth or oxycontin should do fine.

• Juanita
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Thanks Mr. Hann for a great laugh to start my day.... Cadillac snowclearing system indeed! Have you been outside your house since the last storm? The streets were the worst I have ever seen since I moved to St. John's 12 years ago. For days after the storm, they were either snow-filled or covered in icy ruts, thanks to the salt-saving measures. That new brine solution that they've started using is particularly useless. And don't even get me started on the sidewalks (or lack of). Once again they've disappeared for the winter, and I'm left navigating the traffic as I walk to the bus stop, praying that the drivers on the road won't strike me. Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

• NOTHING BUT
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Ah ha......The public unites and demonstrates needed changes.

It is nice to see community solidarity in this matter. Now what is the standard in civilized metropolitan areas for the clearing of sidewalks?

This part is for the MAYOR, St Johns City Council and Municipal Enforcement fellows.

Larger metropolitan areas, communities, and many homeowners associations in organized and civilized societies place the responsibilities of clearing sidewalks in front of city businesses and homes on the owners of the business or property.

Ordinances and bylaws are enacted and boundaries and distances are established, even fines, yes fines are levied to deal with this problem.

It is really about community, everyone chipping in doing their part or in worse case scenarios paying when they dont. Now thats a revolutionary idea and a revenue builder.
    With this advice Mr. Mayor you may be able to upgrade that Cadillac of a snow clearing machine to a real set of wheels like a Mercedes.
    I love to see community spirit.

I love it when ideas are generated from that spirit.
    GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!

There are options.

If you are

too poor
    too weak
    too old
    too tired

then find a neighbor, friend, or pay someone $10 to clear the snow for you.

I guarantee you will find quicker results than barking at City Hall.

• Fred

• Taxpayer ll
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Matt
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Telling it like it is
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

for public (ie. park) side walks...the city does it.

Stop asking other people to do it.

• Funky

• john
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Calvin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

• Barbara
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

I fail to see how griping at each other will do anyone any good.

• target
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

I've almost been hit about 6 times in the past 2 weeks.

• James

• Jim
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

• Need_To
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

• Donna
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

this is because the right man for the Mayor postion did not get the job!!!!!

• don
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

• Sean
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

• Telling it like it is
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

Sequoia

I like the view from my $275,000 house.

How is your view?

• Juanita
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

• NOTHING BUT
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

Ah ha......The public unites and demonstrates needed changes.

I love to see community spirit.

I love it when ideas are generated from that spirit.
    GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!